Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone texts

Options
  • 17-05-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

What's the past tense of the verb "text"? (i.e. to send a text by mobile phone)

My mother in law says "I text her earlier", but most say "I texted her earlier".

Who's right? And how do you determine such things with new words?

There seem to be lots of new verbs doing the rounds these days, like "google" and "text".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

Texted. Seems straightforward to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Genghis wrote:
    Texted. Seems straightforward to me?

That's what I would say - unless I hear different I would assume it follows the normal rules for a verb.

WRT to "google", this is actually in the dictionary now, although apparently Google (the company) fought against it's inclusion for some reason.

From dictionary.com
    Main Entry: google
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: to search for information about a specific person through the Google search engine
    Example: She googled her high school boyfriends.
    Etymology: trademark Google
    Usage: googling n

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"i sent her a text earlier"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mordeth wrote:
    "i sent her a text earlier"

indeed, also used as a noun - but would you not also say "I was texting her earlier"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

I sended a text to her earlier ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

crang wrote:
    I sended a text to her earlier ;)

I sended a text to her earlier , so I did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

txtd !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

If the next post isn't a constructive reply I'm locking this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

you're right, texted does sound wrong, and "I sent a text" definately sounds more correct grammatically, but for texting purposes, I do write texted in texts (if that makes sense?), I don't like to shorten words or use textspeak, so I'll always spell out the full word...

Advertisement