Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play ps3 games on xbox 360?

Options
  • 17-05-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Will this be a possibility?
    I bet you wont be able to do it until they are officially released will you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I doubht it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

How would you pull it off ?

Two different hardware platforms with 2 different oses ? (granted both have power pc processors )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

That is the most bizarre statement/question I have heard in a long time!

Why ...
    a) ... would you want to?
    b) ... think we(or anyone) would know now, before the consoles are even released?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

Malefarmeran.......

What a strange name. Do you work for Microsoft??

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Reminds me of this dude I knew back in the school who *swore* you could plug SNES cartriges into the MegaCD edge connector on the Megadrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

tards the lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I doubt you'll be able to play much of anything on either of them untill they're officially released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

if you mean mod the cases together, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That has to be a troll. Nobodys that retarded....are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

well look at it this way they didn't do it with the xbox and ps2 so its unlikely it will be done on the next gen consoles... it is possible though but maybe only on the more powerful of the 2 consoles as the lesser one wouldn't have the sufficient resources to run a game from its rival

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

yes
    and yes

you just have to dream on............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Neither will be able to run the other ones games ever. The architecture is far, far to different.

THe cell is a far cry from a power pc BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BloodBath wrote:
    That has to be a troll. Nobodys that retarded....are they?

This pretty much sums it up, why everyone took it as a serious question is beyond me....!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

considering that various groups are still trying to get PS2 & XBox games workign on the PC, it doesn't seem likely does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

Lol :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

seeing as how xbox360's backwards compatibility is via emulation surely some brightspark will emu ps3 games on it at some stage...

No, never

I hope you were joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

seeing as how xbox360's backwards compatibility is via emulation surely some brightspark will emu ps3 games on it at some stage...

Not a chance. For something to emulate something else it has to be a hell of a lot more powerful than it for a start. They can't even get high end pc's to emulate ps2 and x-box yet. It takes years of development to emulate something like that properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Neither will be able to run the other ones games ever. The architecture is far, far to different.

THe cell is a far cry from a power pc BTW.

Am. Not really that different. Read up on it.

BloodBath wrote:
    For something to emulate something else it has to be a hell of a lot more powerful than it for a start. They can't even get high end pc's to emulate ps2 and x-box yet. It takes years of development to emulate something like that properly.
    Xboxes aren't nearly as hard to emulate as the PS2.
    Xbox is PC hardware. It's a P3 nForce with a beefed up gfx core in the northbridge and has DDR200 ram. It's more of a case of a software layer between the XBox game and your PC's hardware.
    If I remember correctly, the XBox uses tech from the Win2000 kernel as part of the 'OS', and early Dx9-spec graphics API.
    If you had an nvidia gfx card from the GeForce3 generation or later you should be sitting even prettier.
    The PS2 on the other hand is a very different architecture to the PC, not just in terms of the gfx and cpu hardware, but also in the bus and available bandwidth structure. It's got bit fast wide buses and a plethora of relatively small caches of varying specifications and functions, compared to a PC which has medium width/speed buses and relatively lots of large unified caches.
    Just getting the timings and bandwith requirements sorted would be a major problem.

SyxPak wrote:

I did. The cell is a cluster of very simple processors that work in parallel, a power PC is one complicated core.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

SyxPak wrote:
    They're hugely different, there's a good explanation of the cell architecture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This reminds me of a recent post asking about running MacOSX on an i386. Tho Mac is muttering about going Intel again, so you never know...

But yep, the people who say "surely someone will do it sooner or later" are obviously mad. If nothing else, the PS3 is significantly higher-specced than the xbox360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

I cant really see any sort of HLE (High level emulation) taking place at a decent speed on an Xbox, however, the Cell isnt as complex as everyone thinks it is. The code that will be written for it will most likely be via a unified middleware (apart from Sony in-house), and compiled for the hardware.

The PS3 and Xbox share the same core (IBM PowerPC), however the Xbox doesnt share the PS3's Cell APUs. They're similiar weighted as general purpose chips, but the PS3 strength lies in the very high potential power (which we still havent seen in apart from prerendered tech demos) in the fields of physics and particles.

I personally see PCs being able to emulate them though, via dual/quad-core x86 CPUs, next gen GPUs and the AGEIA PhysX chip.

Sony's historical complex coding and direct memory access and proprietary caches have always made their systems difficult to emulate.

Although not impossible, programs like PSEmu Pro were emulating Tekken on PCs only a year or so.

However, if you want to look at something which people really thought impossible, hark back to the days when you had a 3Dfx Voodoo 1 on your 200Mhz MMX and was able to run Zelda64 at 60FPS via UltraHLE.

I cant see it happening to be honest. I'd be more interested personally on seeing projects like PCSX2 getting a little bit further, and then been ported to the Xbox360's PowerPC treble core.

On the other hand, it'd be near impossible for the PS3 to perform a similiar type of emulation of the Xbox, the Cell just isnt equiped for 'emulation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

rsynnott wrote:
    This reminds me of a recent post asking about running MacOSX on an i386. Tho Mac is muttering about going Intel again, so you never know...

But yep, the people who say "surely someone will do it sooner or later" are obviously mad. If nothing else, the PS3 is significantly higher-specced than the xbox360

the whole osx on x86 does actually exist. Apple do make some builds of their system for the x86 platform and there is a build of darwin available, so technichally its more realistic than what the op is proposing.

Advertisement