Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing Exams

Options
  • 17-05-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Can someone answer this question once and for all....anyone I ask gives me a different answer.

Say if you go into an exam with 20% already (through continious assesment, etc). I worked out for a few of mine I only need like 25-30% in the paper to pass the year.

If I fail the paper but still get 40% at the end of the year when projects and stuff are added on, do I pass the year or would I have to repeat the exam?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

if u get 40% over all (depending on whether 40 is the pass mark) then u dont have to repeat the exam.

If u are doing a course like elec eng where the exams and the continous assessment must be passed independently of each other then u need to pass both. If you fail the exam the continous assessment marks are not added on and your result is as given. If you fail your continous assessment then you automatically fail the year and you will not be allowed to sit the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

solice wrote:
    if u get 40% over all (depending on whether 40 is the pass mark) then u dont have to repeat the exam.

If u are doing a course like elec eng where the exams and the continous assessment must be passed independently of each other then u need to pass both. If you fail the exam the continous assessment marks are not added on and your result is as given. If you fail your continous assessment then you automatically fail the year and you will not be allowed to sit the exam.

Solice is quite right, it depends on the department in question.

As far as I know, you must generally pass the exam seperately to the continous assessment, and the continuous assesment must be passed in order to take the exam (although my old department used only enforce the continuous assessment part for people who wanted to repeat an exam, you could sit the summer exam and make the marks up on that fair enough).

In the sciences anyway, it's very strict. You NEED to pass the paper. Doesn't matter if you have 100% marks in your continuous if you don't pass the paper you fail. Simple as that. This would apply even in 50/50 courses.

iirc it is stated in the book of modules for each specific module. Although the best person to ask is your lecturer. But generally you need to pass the paper seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

its best to go into the exam anyway with the aim of passing it. only think about compensation and continous assessment grades if it went badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

My theory is that by final year you'll have figured out the beauracracy enough to do this. Do a PhD and you can read the beauracracy as plain English.

College has little or nothing to do with the subjects you study you know! It's just proof that you can wade through levels of red tape and beauracracy and stay sane.

Thats a very employable skill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote:

Nice one :)

Advertisement