Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Souness - "I rest my case.."

• 17-05-2005 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭

Apparantly souness thinks he's quite the good man manager and has only fallen out with 5 players, but doesn't seem to want to bother defending himself on them...
    http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_152659.shtml
    Souness 'rests his case'
    Tuesday May 17 2005

Graeme Souness has denied that he has a history of falling out with his footballers - insisting he has ONLY fallen out with five players.

In a bizarre interview with local newspaper the Newcastle Evening Chronicle in which he answered Toon fans' questions, Souness defended his disciplinary record with a repetitive outburst.

He said: "Who are these players I have supposed to have fallen out with? Andy Cole? I rest my case. David Dunn? I rest my case. Craig Bellamy? I rest my case. Andy Todd? I rest my case. Dwight Yorke? We only fell out once at one training session.

"Don't forget I have managed hundreds of players in my 19 years as a manager. So I have fallen out with five of them? I rest my case."

Souness insisted that Craig Bellamy would never play for him again after their bust-up, and will disappoint fans with the news that he will stick around for the final two years of his contract.

The Chronicle journalist was forced to read out a series of hostile questions from fans who asked questions like 'Why don't you give the majority [of Toon fans] their wish and leave now?' and 'What makes you think you can bring success to this club?'

A prickly Souness insisted: "I have another two years of my contract and I certainly want to see out those two years.

"At the end of the day, the person I answer to is the chairman of Newcastle United and only the chairman can decide whether I go or whether I stay."

Souness insisted that his managerial career has been "a success" and that he has "got it right most of the time" with signings he has made.

The Newcastle boss was also asked about discipline at the club - which had its nadir with the on-pitch fight between Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer - and he claims to have improved matters at the club.

"I think the players have a far clearer picture of what is and what is not acceptable as long as I am manager of this football club. And we no longer have players who just walk off the training ground when it suits them.

"I think we now have a group of players who understand the way I want to work and what I expect from them in training and out on the pitch."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Souness needs to be sacked , if he is given all season next season we will be relegated , of course Shepard won't sack him , want to sack him or even ask the board should he be sacked , this is because he is retarded and has the mind of an eight year old .

I beleive 'only' those five players are just the ones we have heard about , id say the figuire would be about 30 or 40 players .

Several bullets could solve so many problems for the club.[loads gun with bullets putting a name on each of them , Freddie Sheppard , Graeme Souness , Titus Bramble , Lauren Robert.......looks like I mightn't have enough bullets]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

My mate in Newcastle and all his Geordie Buddies really hate Souness, one guy and his dad are not renewing their season tickets they are so disgusted with him and the way the club is being run at the moment. And its not easy to get a season ticket for St James park either so its a big thing to do for lifelong fans.
    I feel sorry for the Newcaslte fans, they are great people and have been rightly screwed by Shepard time and again. Alway getting so far only to be let down by the way things are run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Liverpool Fan - 4th is the new 1st anyway..{re: tsch, 4th is like so last year, 5th is totally the new 4th}

Good one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't rate the guy at all as a manager especially when it comes to man managment and team morale. No coincidence that of the 3 most famous on-field bust-ups in recent times between premiership players of the same side ..... Souey was manager of TWO of them!

Plus, it seems to me that more-often-than-not at whatever club he joins he invariably ends up making them no better (or frequently actually even worse!) than they were in the seasons before he joined (Liverpool, Galatasary, Southampton, Benfica and now Newcastle).

I think his Liverpool years show much about how incompetant he is. Selling stories to the SUN newspaper, an endurance-based pre-season that actually ended up giving players ankle injuries, only 1 trophy in 4 years and delivering the clubs lowest league finish in the last 40+ years.

Even in that 'rest my case' article he's quick put the blame on everyone other than himself. Amazing how Bellamy seems to be doing well under O'Neill and Dunn with Steve Bruce to name just two. How is this possible considering they're such obstinant malcontents ... at least accoring to Graeme?

Souness was unquestionably a great player but I really don't get how this guy keep getting cushy managerial posts considering his track-record of non-achievement. I put it largely down to his high profile and bullish personality tbh. Forget Bellamy, Dwight Yorke etc GS is the one guy I'd like to see out of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

For anyone who does actually rate the guy (and I don't reckon there are too many of you out there), I have two words - Ali Dia.

Advertisement