Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution Unveiled: NOW!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

smokingman wrote:
    it looks like Sony have won E3...

what did they win?? :D
    who will present their prize?
    I hope its that delightful Jim Bowen from "Bullseye" fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I cant wait to see what Shigeru Miyamoto has up his sleeve. A new game it seems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

If Nintendo are really resorting to re-hashing the game boy as their centerpiece then they are in serious trouble. I mean whats the point? they already have a portable system a generation after the gba on the market, why not do a special edition of that or something.

So does anyone wanna hazard a guess when we'll actually hear anything concrete about the revolution, is it likely to be e3 next year? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Right,....well.....

I think I've gotton over my initial reaction...the whole "Sony won E3" thing...

I'm a Nintendo fanboy and I feel ashamed to be honest...how could I be so free to spell doom and gloom for Nintendo!, how could I have dismissed them so....

Like I said in a previous post, I'm guessing that the controller has something to do with how the games look and that's why they weren't shown, and maybe there's processing power is in the controller itself. That render of Samus was the only thing shown purporting to be in the works for Revolution but well, it was only a render.

Nintendo might not have been the most popular choice in the current generation but they made the most money nonetheless, business-wise they thrashed xbox and ps2.

I've looked at the GameBoy Micro quite a lot since and I really like it...the current GameBoys (even the SP) were always too big to easily hide away in a pocket but this thing, you could almost keep it on a neckchain...(on reflection, I hope that doesn't catch on...)

I have faith in Ninty, when TGS comes along, I'm guessing they'll unleash the controller then....and we'll all be sorry, SORRY I TELLS YA!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

skywalker wrote:
    So does anyone wanna hazard a guess when we'll actually hear anything concrete about the revolution, is it likely to be e3 next year? :(
    My guess is TGS in September before we get any solid info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i think the rehash of the gameboy is fairly pathetic, who the **** wants to buy a gba when theirs PSP & DS on the market anyway ? I also think Nintendo must have monkeys working for them because anyone with half a brain would have put DVD PLAYPACK IN THE CONSOLE OUT OF THE BOX. Having to buy an addon is REDICULOUS and no doubt will lose them mucho moneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nintendo might not have been the most popular choice in the current generation but they made the most money nonetheless, business-wise they thrashed xbox and ps2.

:confused:

:confused:

its true...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the nintendo revolution will be fully revealed at nintendos own spaceworld show! i guarantee it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Tusky wrote:
    i think the rehash of the gameboy is fairly pathetic, who the **** wants to buy a gba when theirs PSP & DS on the market anyway ? I also think Nintendo must have monkeys working for them because anyone with half a brain would have put DVD PLAYPACK IN THE CONSOLE OUT OF THE BOX. Having to buy an addon is REDICULOUS and no doubt will lose them mucho moneys.

I agree with you in regards the DVD out of the box thingey, but Nintendo would likely tell you that they want a games machine... and if you want your games machine to play dvd's thats fine...
    It does make them seem like they're lagging behind because Microsoft have already tried the whole dvd add on... but in fairness since when does a console have to play dvds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I wouldn't be bothered playing DVD's on any console TBH. Lidil have the DVD/DivX player for €60 which does a better job then any console...

Rew wrote:
    I wouldn't be bothered playing DVD's on any console TBH. Lidil have the DVD/DivX player for €60 which does a better job then any console...

I imagine the dvd attatchment wouldnt be much cheaper too, I mean the xbox one is 30 quid

flogen wrote:
    I agree with you in regards the DVD out of the box thingey, but Nintendo would likely tell you that they want a games machine... and if you want your games machine to play dvd's thats fine...
    It does make them seem like they're lagging behind because Microsoft have already tried the whole dvd add on... but in fairness since when does a console have to play dvds?

Nintendo can take that stance all they want but its only going to do them harm. If the general gaminc public have to choose between two consoles and one has dvd playback out of the box, one doesnt, which are they going to go for. ( by the way, I have a dvd player and wouldnt use a console to play dvds but Im talking about about your average joe gamer ).

Nintendo seem to be ignoring what people want and instead are trying to walk some magical gaming highroad. If the GBA hadnt sold so many units they would be in serious serious trouble right now. That is their major money maker. Now that their is competition in the handheld market I cant see that trend working for them much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

DVD playback was important last-gen - I don't think it matters much now since the DVD player market is saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Alot of rumours out that Nintendo has alot more of the revolution to show before the end of E³. My fingers are crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

every game downloadable!

That is going to give them a huge game database at launch. And it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than the other 2 and released at a time so as not to conflict with the other launches. I think they realised that they where never going to match sony's or MS's might in terms of resources or money and have decided to appeal to their loyal fans by giving them a platform on which they can access all those cherished games of old as well as allowing them to get their fix of new games.

The lack of power (2-3 times more powerful) is a bit of a laugh in fairness though, but I still think it will sell well. Just look at the DS's sales and its up against a far more powerful PSP. Plus they still have the revolutionary joypads up their sleeves. Ninty will go down fighting, and I for one will be standing proudly between Mario and Samus with my Ds in one hand and Konga's under the other.

Long live Nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Tusky wrote:

Nintendo have to pay $20 to the DVD consortium for every device they sell which is capable of playing DVD movies. Now, given that 99% of people buying the Revolution will likely already have a DVD player, do you really think it makes sense for them to jack up the price by that much for functionality that barely anyone will either need or care about? And for those of us who feel like using the Revolution as a second DVD player, say one for our bedroom, we can simply cough up the extra €30 or so for the addon and remote, without forcing everyone who won't use the tech to have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Thraktor wrote:
    Nintendo have to pay $20 to the DVD consortium for every device they sell which is capable of playing DVD movies. Now, given that 99% of people buying the Revolution will likely already have a DVD player, do you really think it makes sense for them to jack up the price by that much for functionality that barely anyone will either need or care about? And for those of us who feel like using the Revolution as a second DVD player, say one for our bedroom, we can simply cough up the extra €30 or so for the addon and remote, without forcing everyone who won't use the tech to have to pay for it.

Ahh now if thats true it makes a lot of sense. Have you got a url or that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

DS's sales and its up against a far more powerful PSP
    In europe maybe, but the PSP is not actually on sale here yet :)

Lets give it a year or 18 months and we'll see who has sold the most consoles and indeed games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Lets give it a year or 18 months and we'll see who has sold the most consoles and indeed games :)

and while we look at that we can see who has lost most money by selling their consoles at a loss :D

• Advertisement

Thraktor wrote:
    Now, given that 99% of people buying the Revolution will likely already have a DVD player, do you really think it makes sense for them to jack up the price by that much for functionality that barely anyone will either need or care about?

where are you getting that insane statistic ? I think a hell of alotta people will care about dvd playback. Lets say someone is currently using a PS2 to play dvds, they sell that to buy a nextgen console, they are not gonna wanna buy a DVD addon along with the new console.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think you're gonna get a remote and the attachment for 30 euro. Nintendo are well known for overcharging for addons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

*boing*

It is rather small.

And adding DVD playback costs sfa. Really. It's hardware design by the numbers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Europe Japan And the US. I think that would be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

funny reggie said somethin in the conference about the ds-psp sales. and he was very agtresive sayin ds has sold over 5 million units worldwide and its sold way more than psp "but you may be sayin 'psp isnt in europe yet'. well thats because we actually got their when we said we would. thats sonys problem, not mine!".

he's some man i tell ya

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    "but you may be sayin 'psp isnt in europe yet'. well thats because we actually got their when we said we would. thats sonys problem, not mine!".

he's some man i tell ya

Thought that was brilliant :D
    Nintendogs is sending sales of the DS through the roof in Japan. It's this generations pokemon. And I for one can't wait to play it after seeing it in action at the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo can't match the psp sales on the strength of pokemon and nintendogs games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Thought that was brilliant :D
    Nintendogs is sending sales of the DS through the roof in Japan. It's this generations pokemon. And I for one can't wait to play it after seeing it in action at the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo can't match the psp sales on the strength of pokemon and nintendogs games.
    It seems to be pulling in the female non-gamers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rew wrote:
    It seems to be pulling in the female non-gamers

Which is exactly what nintendo are aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It'll be interesting to see how much they charge for the old games. I can't see it being a great money maker.

I'd hazzard a guess that many of you Nintendo people probably still have your Nintendo 64 games sitting around somewhere. How much would you be willing to pay to download a game that you already own and payed quite a bit for back in the day? Especially considering that you could download the ROM from some warez site legally and for free, seeing as you own a legitimate, original copy.

Tusky wrote:
    Nintendo can take that stance all they want but its only going to do them harm. If the general gaminc public have to choose between two consoles and one has dvd playback out of the box, one doesnt, which are they going to go for. ( by the way, I have a dvd player and wouldnt use a console to play dvds but Im talking about about your average joe gamer ).

Nintendo seem to be ignoring what people want and instead are trying to walk some magical gaming highroad. If the GBA hadnt sold so many units they would be in serious serious trouble right now. That is their major money maker. Now that their is competition in the handheld market I cant see that trend working for them much longer.

OK. I have 4 dvd players in my room. There are 6 in my house, I dont want any more!!! If I get an xbox or ps3 (I will get one or the other if not both), that's more DVD players (ok, granted 2 of the 4 are consoles and so will be likely to be replaced). I will not be getting the DVD attachment for the Revolution, I have no need to. I'm sure most people would be the same. Hardcore gamers already have plenty of DVD players (stand alones, consoles and PC's), casual gamers are still almost certain to have a stand alone at home, given that powercity sell them for less than the price of a new Xbox game.
    Nintendo have been honest in saying that they want the female market. It's a market that for decades now has been totally ignored. The DS and games like Nintendogs was the first step in this (My girlfriend is not a gamer but she loves stuff like Mario, wario, project rub etc.). Nintendo are also hoping that people would rather spend a small amount of money on a innovative machine than a large amount of money for something their flashy PC can already do (or for something that is too complex to work when all they want is games!). I'm not saying it will work, but it's better than trying to compete head on when they know that hasn't worked lately. If Nintendo can convince gamers that they are on a different level to Sony and MS, and if they can sell it cheap, this revolution will be everyones second console. Sony and MS fanboys alike will buy it because they dont feel like they're cheating on their beloved!! If MS and Sony sell for 500 at launch and Ninty are able to go for 200 - 300, they could easily slip under the radar and do extremely well.
    Also, I think the Revolution won't be as far behind in specs as Sony and MS would like you to think, I'd say their just being more honest about their machines capabilities.
    But... as always, we shall have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

flogen wrote:
    Also, I think the Revolution won't be as far behind in specs as Sony and MS would like you to think, I'd say their just being more honest about their machines capabilities.
    But... as always, we shall have to wait and see.

Are you implying that sony and ms dont always tell the truth?

:rolleyes:

Advertisement