Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution Unveiled: NOW!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Tusky wrote:
    where are you getting that insane statistic ? I think a hell of alotta people will care about dvd playback. Lets say someone is currently using a PS2 to play dvds, they sell that to buy a nextgen console, they are not gonna wanna buy a DVD addon along with the new console.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think you're gonna get a remote and the attachment for 30 euro. Nintendo are well known for overcharging for addons.

Insane statistic? Let's say Nintendo releases in Europe in September next year, for a price of €250 (I feel these estimates are accurate enough to make my point). Are you saying that, in late 2006, people who are willing to pay €250 for a brand new games console (plus €60+ on games) won't be tech-savy enough to have purchased a (sub-€50) DVD player in the three or four years hence? I don't think I even know a single person who doesn't own a DVD player now, let alone someone who would be likely to buy a next-gen console close to release. And even in the unlikely situation that there are a considerable number of people who actually have no other means of playing DVD movies, then they can pay the extra €30 (it'll still end up cheaper than the PS3 [or possibly even the X360]), without forcing Nintendo to lump an extra €15/€20 of unneccessary cost on the rest of us. Yes, I'm sure people who were using their PS2 to play DVDs would make up a small proportion of buyers, but it's rediculous to assume that the majority of Revolution owners are buying it to play DVDs on, which is what they would be doing by including playback in the box and charging everyone extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hmm a lot of people are giving out about the revolution's lack of dvd playback but why isn't anyone giving out about xbox 360 not implementing a next gen optical disc system.

PS3 will have blu-ray, which is really upping the ante and paving the way for Hi def movie playback. MS (as part of a consortium) have their own version yet haven't implemented it in the 360. shouldn't this be a more important issue than the fact that revolution won't play dvd sout of the box?

Let's face it, everygamer and their cat has some form of dvd playback and the sad fact is that the trade in price that people get (and will get when next gen launches) for their current gen consoles are/will be so bad i'd imagine lots of people will be able to hang on to them and use them as DVD players if they don't have a dedicated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

flogen wrote:
    OK. I have 4 dvd players in my room. There are 6 in my house, I dont want any more!!! If I get an xbox or ps3 (I will get one or the other if not both), that's more DVD players (ok, granted 2 of the 4 are consoles and so will be likely to be replaced). I will not be getting the DVD attachment for the Revolution, I have no need to. I'm sure most people would be the same. Hardcore gamers already have plenty of DVD players (stand alones, consoles and PC's), casual gamers are still almost certain to have a stand alone at home, given that powercity sell them for less than the price of a new Xbox game.
    Nintendo have been honest in saying that they want the female market. It's a market that for decades now has been totally ignored. The DS and games like Nintendogs was the first step in this (My girlfriend is not a gamer but she loves stuff like Mario, wario, project rub etc.). Nintendo are also hoping that people would rather spend a small amount of money on a innovative machine than a large amount of money for something their flashy PC can already do (or for something that is too complex to work when all they want is games!). I'm not saying it will work, but it's better than trying to compete head on when they know that hasn't worked lately. If Nintendo can convince gamers that they are on a different level to Sony and MS, and if they can sell it cheap, this revolution will be everyones second console. Sony and MS fanboys alike will buy it because they dont feel like they're cheating on their beloved!! If MS and Sony sell for 500 at launch and Ninty are able to go for 200 - 300, they could easily slip under the radar and do extremely well.
    Also, I think the Revolution won't be as far behind in specs as Sony and MS would like you to think, I'd say their just being more honest about their machines capabilities.
    But... as always, we shall have to wait and see.

You have 4 dvd players in your room, I have 2 players in my room, whats your point? Would you consider yourself a casual gamer ? Thats who the point was directed at. I know plenty of people who dont have a dvd player in their room let alone their HOUSE! Mental I know, but its true.
    Thraktor wrote:
    Insane statistic? Let's say Nintendo releases in Europe in September next year, for a price of €250 (I feel these estimates are accurate enough to make my point). Are you saying that, in late 2006, people who are willing to pay €250 for a brand new games console (plus €60+ on games) won't be tech-savy enough to have purchased a (sub-€50) DVD player in the three or four years hence? I don't think I even know a single person who doesn't own a DVD player now, let alone someone who would be likely to buy a next-gen console close to release. And even in the unlikely situation that there are a considerable number of people who actually have no other means of playing DVD movies, then they can pay the extra €30 (it'll still end up cheaper than the PS3 [or possibly even the X360]), without forcing Nintendo to lump an extra €15/€20 of unneccessary cost on the rest of us. Yes, I'm sure people who were using their PS2 to play DVDs would make up a small proportion of buyers, but it's rediculous to assume that the majority of Revolution owners are buying it to play DVDs on, which is what they would be doing by including playback in the box and charging everyone extra for it.

I disagree with you, I think dvd playback is a major factor in alot of peoples console choice decisions. Only recently my sister asked me to reccomend her a console, I told her the GC would be a good choice. She decided against it when she heard it couldnt play dvds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I wouldn't consider myself to be a casual gamer, not a pro, but not casual.
    My point was that DVD players are at (or very near) saturation point at the moment. In a year most people who want a DVD player will have one, and probably a very nice slim and cheap one too. People will not buy the Rev to play DVD's, but if they eventually want to use it for that, they can.
    The situation with your sister, for example. If it were the Revolution, she could get it and get the attatchment (probably for less than the cheapest of DVD players) or she could spend what is likely to be a hundred euro or more and go for a PS3 or X360. I know the cube suffered due to a lack of DVD playback but that was when DVD players were as expensive as the consoles themselves (or close). For example, I got my xbox well after launch and it was still the first DVD player in the house. I'm sure that holds true for many others.
    As for your mates without DVD players, if they haven't gotten one at this point then they obviously aren't that pushed and so won't be swayed by DVD playback out the box (if they're going to get a console).

Advertisement