Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected salaries for postgraduate

Options
  • 17-05-2005 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I know this may be a very vague question, but how much can I expect to earn coming out of college and going into a helpdesk or programming job. I have nearly completed computer applications in DCU ( I'm doing my finals at the moment ), and I am part of the information systems stream, which focuses on how computers interact with everyday business. My exam results should be ok hopefully.

Is it possible to get some idea from anyone who has entered the working world how much I can expect to make a month ?? Just a curious question me and my friends were talking about.

thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

Not much.....

Programming maybe...
    20,000 - 22,000.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

programming in java is well paid in london. (cant remember name of site with quotes) 500 sterling a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Skud wrote:
    programming in java is well paid in london. (cant remember name of site with quotes) 500 sterling a day.
    Erm... maybe for a VERY highly qualified person. You do realise that translates to €3600 per week... which is €174,500 per year. Thats an awful lot for a freshly graduated student to be earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm just finishing my finals in BSc Applied Computing (Hons) hope to start Java development on 24 - 25 grand a year in the coming weeks.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

Erm... maybe for a VERY highly qualified person. You do realise that translates to €3600 per week... which is €174,500 per year. Thats an awful lot for a freshly graduated student to be earning.

You'd need at least a years experience (maybe two) to command a salary like that. ;)

Realistically, it varies wildly and is anywhere from €14,000 for a bottom of the range helpdesk to €30,000 programming if:
    1) You are really good,
    2) You can show you are really good, and, most importantly,
    3) You get really, really lucky.

Most likely to be anywhere between €18,000 and €25,000 for programming and a good bit less for helpdesk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You want a laugh.. 25K euros is about 19K Irish punts. That was the same start wage for grads about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm on double that and I'm a second year ;)

All depends on the company you go for and where its located. Accenture are looking for grads. They pay well.

But it really depends on the company you work for and where your located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Hobbes wrote:
    You want a laugh.. 25K euros is about 19K Irish punts. That was the same start wage for grads about 10 years ago.

FYI - Starting salary for grads in 1994 was in the region of £11 - £13k in old money IF you could get a job. Been there .....

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

tempest wrote:
    Most likely to be anywhere between €18,000 and €25,000 for programming and a good bit less for helpdesk.

helpdesk couldnt be a good bit less than 18000, if so your going into the minimum wage bracket which is around 15000 isint it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

damnyanks, can I get contact details for Accenture, and an idea of what exactly they do? I'll be moving up to Dublin after my exams (also doing an Hons degree in Applied Computing) and will be looking for a job - and preferably not a helpdesk one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

katrien_ie wrote:
    FYI - Starting salary for grads in 1994 was in the region of £11 - £13k in old money IF you could get a job. Been there .....

Well the grads I spoke to at that time quoted 18-19k. The 11-13k was how much a collage grad on work experience got (1 years work placement) or on customer support probably.

This is major corporations now.. milage may vary from company to company.

swiss wrote:
    damnyanks, can I get contact details for Accenture, and an idea of what exactly they do? I'll be moving up to Dublin after my exams (also doing an Hons degree in Applied Computing) and will be looking for a job - and preferably not a helpdesk one.

Accenture are a consulting company. They are huge, they are hireing in all business area's last I saw.

http://careers3.accenture.com/locations/ireland/gra_home.shtml

Is there grad page. You really could be doing anything if you worked there. Generally for IT they look for developers or analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I went into a programming job on 17.5k punts in 1999. That was about average then, the most I heard of anyone getting was 19k punts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hobbes wrote:
    Well the grads I spoke to at that time quoted 18-19k. The 11-13k was how much a collage grad on work experience got (1 years work placement) or on customer support probably.
    After I graduated DCU Electronic Engineering in 1992 I got 12k in 1993 in Symantec Dublin as a Localisation Engineer (fixing internationalisation bugs). Not difficult, just needed good 'detective' skills to track down source of bugs. Included a bit of C development.

Were treated as contractors without the pay - no holidays, no benefits, no overtime (just regular hourly rate when over 40 hrs). Didn't get an increase for almost 2 years. Did a few 24 hour shifts!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

I graduated from CA in DCU in 2001 and went travelling and on my return I spent 3 very unhappy months looking for work and finally made an enquiry with the company I did my Intra placement with. They took me on starting at €27k They are a state agency.

If you can at all get in touch with the company you did placement with and try to get work there.

Also try to show your fourth year project to as much companies as possible.
    Flood the market with your CV both here and abroad and put down every technology you worked on both at college and work placements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I have 2 friends who graduated with a BSc in the IT area from DKIT two years ago. One works for a large multinational in Dublin and earns ~€31,000 per year. The other works here in Dundalk for a small startup company, and earns ~€22,000 per year. I stayed on to do an MSc, and I currently get a scholarship worth €7,500 per year. :)

Hopefully I'll make some money when I eventually finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

graduated dcu ap 94 stared in AIB Graduate Training Program IT salary was IR12,000 but went up to IR15,000 after a year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Can I ask what type of non-consulting salaries for development positions reaches in Ireland?

OK...sure...if you become a Systems Architect or something, the sky is probbly the limit....but for development and/or project lead positions....whats considered the top end?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

When I started out which was in 95 or 96 I was making 9k punts. I didn't have a degree though, still don't but make a hell of a lot more these days.

After a year on my first developer job my employer wanted to hire two graduates. I found out they were going to be getting 17k, this was before they told me I was going to be their supervisor. They bumped me up to 9.5k. I had two bosses and one of them in particular felt my lack of a degree meant they didn't have to pay me the same. I left a few months later and never looked back and now I manage a software development department.

Kernel32 wrote:
    When I started out which was in 95 or 96 I was making 9k punts. I didn't have a degree though, still don't but make a hell of a lot more these days.

After a year on my first developer job my employer wanted to hire two graduates. I found out they were going to be getting 17k, this was before they told me I was going to be their supervisor. They bumped me up to 9.5k. I had two bosses and one of them in particular felt my lack of a degree meant they didn't have to pay me the same. I left a few months later and never looked back and now I manage a software development department.

Well thats just stupid (On their part not yours). Although I've never seen a moduale on common sense while studying so maybe its possible :)

Not really much help for people wanting to work in Ireland but for instance I know Microsoft UK pay 24k sterling per year.

Thats about 35k euro I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

CPL have published a salary guide to 2004, dunno how accurate it is >>

http://www.cpl.ie/pdf/cpl_salaryguide.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Considering CPL are in league with the devil, and only pay their contractors the bare minimum, I would take anything they say with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Evil Phil wrote:

Looks pretty accurate to me. I'm an SAP consultant with 2 years experience and i'm in the bracket they've outlined there....

Starting out as a graduate you should be very happy with anything in the 22K -> 25K range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Evil Phil wrote:

Nice one EP!

I don't suppose Irish Times have something like that?

CPL are nice n all, i just think the Irish Times would carry more weight when it comes to negotiation of the next salaray increase.

Advertisement