Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options
  • 17-05-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Trailer

The game deserves a much better quality trailer. The HD one will be on the official site today or tomorrow. I'm not going to say anything fancy, this game looks ****ing amazing.

Anyone think they Beth might mess this up? I know its happened before, but never to a game series I've liked, so I might not be as cynical as others. I know they're putting in minigames and stuff, and changing the combat, but thats probably for the better. To be honest I couldnt care what they put in(horse riding, stealth, new fancy combat, amazing A.I., OK, I do care) as long as I can look at that trailer, point to a place and say "I can go there", then look at another place in the game and say "I can then walk to there", then see a character in the trailer and say "I can chop his head off along the way". As long as they have that level of freedom in this game I'll be happy. And some horseriding too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If this is anywhere near as good (and as customisable) as the last Elder Scrolls, I simply can not wait.

The amount of time I spent playing Morrowind I think constitutes the need for a health warning on these things. Absolutely brilliant game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Even if Oblivion was a rehash of Morrowind, with a different map and slightly improved graphics I would be happy due to the series ingenious, but with the inclusion of Voice acting, New Combat system, Better AI it can only get better. Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Is it just me or is the sound quality on that trailer atrocious?

Other than that it looks good - well, fantastic graphically for an RPG. Just hope they find another way for decent character advancement other than the level grinding that Morrowind was. I stopped playing when I suddenly realised my game time consisted of running between trainers to train up just the right skills to max my level up. I was doing it so much I had the run down to about 2 minutes or so with teleports, acrobatics/constitutions and strider(?) rides - cash wasnt an issue as you could become fantastically wealthy in about 30-45 minutes play if you ran like hell through the more dangerous parts of the game world. Yeah, I could not have attempted to maximise the advancement, but I wanted Conan The Destroyer, not Conan the Tax Accountant.

Other than that...I found the game rather frustrating with its horrific mapping/quest directions and of course that journal which was just plain rubbish for keeping track of things, and its poor guild mission design -the fighter guild quests in the "first" city were designed for either a conversationalist/thief or somebody who liked being chased by guards. There was very little call for Fighter skills as such. If they can fix those two issues even, Ill be delighted. Oh, and something as funny as that screeching yell as you "find" the boots of leaping - I tried them once from the starter village, ended up a stain on the side of a mountain on the north side of the ash wastes near as I could tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Yeah, that video is great, pitty about the sound! I can't wait for this game too, it looks amazing. I'm really loved morrowind, hopefully this game can go above and beyond it. I looking forward to the the voice acting, better character animations and the forests (they look sweet!)!

So are you gonna get it on xbox360 or PC? I think it'll be time for a new pc about the time this is released! :D

Screenshots from the Elder Scrolls site for anyone who's interested.

BM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I'd be really tempted to get it in November with a 360, but I'll have to wait untill the end of December/January when I get a new PC. The PC means pretty much endless content thanks to the great editor and the modding community.

• Advertisement

Kazaanova wrote:
    I'd be really tempted to get it in November with a 360, but I'll have to wait untill the end of December/January when I get a new PC. The PC means pretty much endless content thanks to the great editor and the modding community.
    I agree, PC is the (expensive) way forward! I just hope it will be a simultaneous release because I'll probably end up getting what ever comes out first :D

BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

PC... although probably not this year (I need an upgrade, but I'll need the money first :( ).

Don't mind waiting a while though - give the modders time to mod. When I first played morrowind I already had a load of add-ons installed.. nice things like an improved journal. FPS / draw distance enhancements, more characters and even another town. Great stuff.

Yeah, Oblivion will come out with a huge mod base and a good few sites dedicated to Elder Scrolls mods. So I wasnt really worried when they said its going to be a smaller world, let the designers make small interesting worlds and let the modders make big generic worlds.

But what are the specs gonna be for this beast? Would say, a 6800 Ultra be good enough to run it? I was planning on not getting any of the new consoles for a while untill I see what games are out, coming out etc., but I'd be VERY tempted to get a 360 just to play this game. Another thing, didnt Microsoft say that every game is Live supported? So there probably will be downloads for official mods etc.

I'm glad that this is completely offline too. I know a lot of people wanted some online aspect, but why? If I wanted an online RPG game I'd buy one, I'd rather have an extra sword in the game than online play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I reckon there's potential for a big modding community on the XBox version too. With free XBox live, a hard drive, and Microsoft going on about customisation and building communities I'd say they'd do everything in their power to promote it. Whether or not people buy into it or stick with what they know is another question though.

Beth have confirmed that the Xbox version won't get a construction kit though, so the Xbox modding community would be rely on the PC modding community, which would work without any problems, but I doubt Xbox would let that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

has this been confirmed as a lauch title? :confused:

Not sure, but I think its coming out Q4 of 2005 around the same time the 360 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

did anybody notice who the voice is for that emperor in the video....

hint: make it so!

Yeah just copped onto who it was, don't think hes in the game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i'd say he would be, he's probably one of the best voices to get for a game.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan but I love his voice, has he done other games before?

I'm just guessing that he wont be in the game much because of of the devs said they were getting a professional actor for the trailer, but never mentioned the game. And if he plays the emperor he wont be in it much, as the game takes place after hes been killed.

The official site has a HD big 80 meg version of the trailer. Worth the download.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

really looking forward to this game , liked Morrowind so much bought it on PC and XBOX, it think this time round will be waiting for PC release though!!
    Trailer is good it looks fantastic !!!

Good article up at Gamespot.
    The bookkeeper seemed to prefer jokes and smiled when told them, then invited us upstairs to keep her company. The bookkeeper then went about one of her general goals--training in archery by firing arrows at a hanging target in her room, while her enthusiastic dog leapt about the room. The bookkeeper's aim was off, so she voluntarily quaffed a marksmanship potion, which improved her aim considerably. She also tossed her hungry dog a cut of venison, which affected the excited quadruped in much the same way it would affect a player. The dog then got so excited that the short-tempered bookkeeper cast a paralysis spell on her pet, causing it to tumble to the floor. The bookkeeper then attempted to lie down and go to sleep, but her dog recovered and began yapping excitedly again, so the impatient bookkeeper cast a fire spell on her poor pooch, setting the dog on fire and sending it yelping from the room. After the bookkeeper lay down for the evening and nodded off, we helped ourselves to the two-handed claymore sword on her table and departed for the besieged town.

Here's the link to the article
    Good article - I want oblivion NOW! :eek:

BM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I hear that!, glad they changed the combat system, was about the only thing I didnt like in the last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

I really really want this game!

PCGamer have done a few previews of it. And Gamespy has as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Looks amazing. Pity about the sound on the trailer, but still, I'm looking forward to it muchly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Frying Squirrel

I haven't seen the trailer and don't know much about Oblivion but I play Morrowind and I thought it was class.Just a few questions-
    Are the races the same?
    What's different about the combat system?
    What's the release date for CPU?
    Is it based in Cyrodil (Up Cyrodil Brandy - A Nord's best friend :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

an i cant wait for this it looks amazing and if the gameplay was anything like eldar scrolls 3 then it will be one of the best games ever, i spent months playing that and the 2 addons. Id love to see an eldar scrolls online game, that would be unbelievable. It will be interesting to see what pc specs is needed for oblivion. AHHH the wait kills me

I haven't seen the trailer and don't know much about Oblivion but I play Morrowind and I thought it was class.Just a few questions-
    Are the races the same?
    What's different about the combat system?
    What's the release date for CPU?
    Is it based in Cyrodil (Up Cyrodil Brandy - A Nord's best friend :D )

The races are excactly the same.
    The combat system is supposed to be more fun, and has much better hit detection. Also theres more moves, its simple like in Morrowind, but when your skill goes up you'll do a more impressive move.
    Its coming out at Christmas
    And yeah its based in Cyrodiil.

An online version sounds cool yeah, but it just wouldnt work. It contradicts everything. It would just be chaos. The only way online would ever, EVER work, would be if each world had a maximum of say 20 people. Then it would work, but a MMORPG would never ever work for the Elder Scrolls.

Advertisement