Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPs Limiting Speeds????

• 17-05-2005 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Before the upgrade more often then not i maxed out my speeds downloading Torrents. Since the upgrade torrents speeds have been very poor especially in the last week or so.I have green lights and the relevant ports are open but still crap speeds.Right now i'm downloading a file with 44 seeds and 34 peers with download speed 12.4KB/s and upload speed 7.9KB/s. Are isp's limiting the speeds? I'm with UTV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Have you got a cap set on your upload speed? If that 8k is the maximum upload speed you're getting (or very close to it) you'll be artificially throttling your own downloads. Perhaps the DSL upload rate you're getting is poorer and you need to adjust your upload cap for torrents.

As for torrent speeds themselves, I wouldn't know. I'm a UTV customer but I don't torrent much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mickger

have you in the past gone over your daily.monthly cap? and are you constantly file sharing/using torrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Im experiencing the same thing, I'm getting a green light but crap speeds, i was connected to 80 peers in all and I was only getting speeds of around 10Kb/s, whats the craic here, another thing is when i pinholed my router and set aside the ports in my firewall the light went yellow, that doesn't make sense,so I reset the lot and it went back to green . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I do love to torrent and I did go over my cap last month by 6 gigs, but when I run a speed test im still getting 100 Kb/s average for a 1 meg line, how is it affecting my torrents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

bruachain wrote:
    mickger

have you in the past gone over your daily.monthly cap? and are you constantly file sharing/using torrent?
    No and No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

could it be the peers u are connecting to are using a **** connection..is it on a load of torrents like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, I'm getting less average speed 90% of the time than I had with my 512/128 line (with BT), so I'm going to switching to the business 1024/256 package at the end of the month when BT (or rather eircon) get the LLU thing sorted out.

I still maintain the theory that has widely taken hold here that the poor upload is the main factor in poor download performance, and I'll be able to get a lot more in the long run from a 1024/256 line running flat out 24/7 than I can out of a 2meg line running sporadically between 2meg and less than 256k.

I guess I'll be letting everybody know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Try switching ports to somewhere in the 8000 range and see if that makes a difference.

well, I've been using a port in the 20,000's range and it's made no difference, and have tried many ports abover and below that since the upgrade.

i'm getting local and remote connections, just low throughput.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You could try 8080 if you're let do that. It's often used for non-standard web servers (i.e. Apache Tomcat or Remote Management Utilities). As a result, most ISP's treat that traffic as being ordinary web traffic and route it as such.

• Advertisement

probably not on a residential package though. i don't think you're supposed to run any of those things from the home packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

more exact - you arent allowed to use your connection for Commercial Purposes, including operating servers.

You can however use any 'personal' service i would imagine.

Advertisement