Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the greatest b-ball school in Ireland??

Options
  • 17-05-2005 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Let me know your thoughts.

My vote is for Colàiste Èanna. :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Dunno where that is but I'd say it's somewhere in Mayo or Waterford, they usually seem to win all the school competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

When I was playing school basketball, colaiste eanna was the team to beat. They were coached by Mick White and had some of the best school teams in Ireland.

In Connaught, you're looking at teams in Mayo/Sligo (St. Gerards of Castlebar I think is one I remember), up North it's nearly always Castleblaney. In Munster, you have decent teams in Limerick, Kerry (castleisland/tralee always had a strong team) and waterford. In Leinster, when I was playing Longford, Rochfortbridge and of course most of the Dublin teams were actually the teams to beat, especially Eanna.

Eanna probably has the best record, but in saying that how many class players have progressed up to senior level from there?

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

lafortezza wrote:
    Dunno where that is but I'd say it's somewhere in Mayo or Waterford, they usually seem to win all the school competitions.

It's in Rathfarnham,Dublin

Hey Phil,what school did you go to??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

De la salle in waterford
    there isnt a doubt there we controlled most irish tournaments for years always contributed alot to the national team.
    Plus we had the single most attractive B-ball player of all time.

• Advertisement

I went to St. Mels in Longford.

mayordenis wrote:
    Plus we had the single most attractive B-ball player of all time.

Lmao,who's that then??

phil wrote:
    I went to St. Mels in Longford.

Where you in the squad that won the U14 all ireland in 96/97??

When the two Westbrooks were playing, Fintans were the team to beat, but I had left school at that stage. I think I remember Fintans beating De La Salle in a final or two! :)

mayordenis wrote:
    De la salle in waterford

They never factored in any of the all irelands i played in, you must have been in the "B" leagues. :D

• Advertisement

That was my brothers year. Most of the same squad that played with us were underage the year after, but myself and two other guys weren't :(

We ended up getting to two all-irelands and losing, while my brother ended up losing most of them with us and then winning the next year with his crowd. Think he has three silvers and two or three golds with Mels and Longford. Course, I only have the losers medals!

That's a bit unlucky Phil,probably played against you or your brother.I lost to your brother in that all ireland,played against them in the group stages.

Ive played in that Torpedo's tournament in the mal(played there numerous times for school) the last 4 years,fancied my chances of getting my hands in the winners trophy till that english team turned up.

Really? I was down there this year. I had a muscle injury in my back, but I played anyway on the team that EVERYONE whipped (Simonstown Knights). I was the 6'6 guy who couldn't move a lot ;)

Moving club now though hopefully, looking to try and join Vincents cause they are down the road from me. Which team were you? You playing under Mick White?

Yeah i was Eanna's big guy. Don't remember any of the teams names & didnt stay down in the Hotel either(the ****ing team nearly got kicked out for being too sauced). We got to the final & got a whooping.We only lost to them by 2 in the group stages though,but the game was half of what the final was & the lads had been saucing the night before.

Oh yeh and you know that team that were there, the West Herts Warriors? The guy who played the 2 for them, he's Tayo Odulaja, he's part of the streetball.co.uk crew. He's a bloody highlight reel of dunks and tricks.

He's been on some of the And1 UK tapes and that, he never even bothered playing properly in that tournament, mostly just dished the ball around.

Haven't played in any of the tournaments before. We just got an invite this year, cause Mick (who organises it) was down reffing a girls final my girlfriend was playing in and asked was I coming down, and I said no, and next day we got an invite. The guys I was playing with had never played that standard of senior basketball before in their lives :)

What div do/did your team play in??

I played div 1 this year for the first time since playing superleague about 4 years ago and found it difficult,fitness was just disastrous.Eventually got there though,only to get injured.

Ahh right, well, we got beaten pretty comprehensively by most teams! Think I remember you, alright. Most of your team was pretty small if I remember, yeh? Very fast though, you did excellent against that English team the first time around.

We didn't stay for the Sunday, I think the lads were all too embarrassed after the Saturday and I had a mates birthday bash on the Saturday night I couldn't miss.

Team I played for played in Dublin Division 3. I hadn't played in a couple of years before this year either, so I wanted to start back in slow. I'm looking to move up to a higher standard though, which is why I'm looking around for another club.

You should just jump to Div 1,you'll get used to playing at the level pretty quick & sure there's several teams doing post/pre season training at the moment.I'm sure st. vincents are doing it too.

Well, I'm hoping to jump straight to Div 1. Vincents have a strong Div 1 team especially in the low post area from what I hear, but they're on a break at the moment as far as I know. Hopefully will start back pretty soon and I'll try and get training with them.

Need to start getting fit as well! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement