Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aww crap they making another Driver.

Options
  • 17-05-2005 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Let it die, one was good 2 was okish 3 was 10 out 10 (thanks atari for the money)
    Driver to Return [May 17, 2005, 1:17 pm EDT] - 3 Comments
    Atari's 'Driver' Franchise Set to Break New Ground In 2006 (thanks Frans) is the press release announcing plans for a return of Tanner the wheelman in another Driver game from Reflections Interactive, due on PC, Xbox, and PS2 next year. No title (can I be the first to suggest drIVer?) or other details are offered for the game, but word is it will be more like Driver than DRIV3R, and for the first time the series will offer multiplayer support:

"Backed by a distinct driving dynamic that gave rise to a completely new sub-category within the driving genre, and with millions of fans worldwide, it is no surprise that the Driver franchise is often called the 'father of action driving games'," said Marc Metis, senior vice president of Marketing. "With our next Driver game, we are concentrating on those qualities that defined the franchise and established it as a perennial best-seller."

Without yet revealing details, the brand will return to its game play roots with a highly sophisticated, adrenaline-pumping car chase AI and unprecedented vehicle dynamics and physics. The new game is set in a photorealistic interpretation of New York City, features a seamless open mission structure integrated around a central storyline, and will be one of the first games of the genre to incorporate online play for console versions.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They should call it Driv3r 2 just for the laugh.
    I hated driv3r though, having to chase some dumb-ass CPU car that can conveniently drive through trees and lamp-posts and somehow has a car 500 times heavier than yours that you can't spin out by bumping, even at 120mph in a side-on impact... yet the same car somehow accelerates twice as fast as your car.
    I don't mind a challenge, but at least make it fair.

So, no... never buying a driver game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought the driving in Driv3r was the best part, though, with aiming and movement as bad as it was, it wouldn't be hard. Some missions were extremely frustrating though (like the 3rd from the end, The Chase) - STUPID traffic AI.

The only way is up from the 3/10 EG gave it...I predict 4/10 for this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Backed by a distinct driving dynamic that gave rise to a completely new sub-category within the driving genre, and with millions of fans worldwide, it is no surprise that the Driver franchise is often called the 'father of action driving games'," said Marc Metis, senior vice president of Marketing.

You monkey-raping lying sack of shít.

And Driver has had multiplayer from the beginning, even if it was splitscreen b0ll0x.
    I got the PC version of driver. The controls (particularly left, right) would lock-up. PoS franchise.

Die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SyxPak wrote:
    You monkey-raping lying sack of shít.

And Driver has had multiplayer from the beginning, even if it was splitscreen b0ll0x.
    I got the PC version of driver. The controls (particularly left, right) would lock-up. PoS franchise.

Die.
    'father of action driving games

Well, it was huge on the PSone when it came out, and it was long before the 3d incarnation of GTA, so it does hold some claim to that title.

Driver 2 and 3 weren't as loved by the general public, but I have Driv3r on the PC, find it a pretty good game myself...!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

" 'father of action driving games'," said Marc Metis, senior vice president of Marketing."

Albert Einsteins dad didn't discover JACK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, it was huge on the PSone when it came out, and it was long before the 3d incarnation of GTA, so it does hold some claim to that title.
    Driver release date: 1999

GTA release date: 1997

GTA may have not been 3D, but it was the
    "father of action driving games" that came after it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

the_syco wrote:
    Driver release date: 1999

GTA release date: 1997

GTA may have not been 3D, but it was the
    "father of action driving games" that came after it!

Yes, but I'm sure its in referral to modern 3D games that give a more true to life experience. Technically, you could call the worlds first driving game the "father", no matter how crap it was now, and even back then for its time.

Driver can hold claim to that title, for being the first truly immersive and fully 3D action driving game with a (at the time) life like appearance and playability, that games built and improved on in later years.

There have been dozens of "action driving games" over the years.

Yes, but I'm sure its in referral to modern 3D games that give a more true to life experience.
    It's an out-right lie. "Bollox" as the French would say.
    Technically, you could call the worlds first driving game the "father", no matter how crap it was now, and even back then for its time.
    Battlezone fúcking pwnd your nappies. It still thrills, even today.
    Driver can hold claim to that title, for being the first truly immersive and fully 3D action driving game with a (at the time) life like appearance and playability, that games built and improved on in later years.

Carmageddon.

Driver was a hackneyed piece of píss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Driv3r was a horrible game at best, how ppl actually gave it the time of day is beyond me, my brother was obsessed with it but the guy (dunno if he has a name) can't move nearly as fluidly as Tommy Vercetti and those two games came out at more-or-less the same time, Vice city was just light years ahead of Driv3r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Wasn't Die Hard Trilogy out on PSX before Driver?
    Some cool 3d action driving in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

ahh I hated the driver series its about as intresting as poo on a stick! :mad:

Advertisement