Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you just as wrecked?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

590 and a B1 in H maths that wasn't counted for points. No not at all, I'm a big reader so I went to bed half an hour earlier than usual to read. And part of the reason I got loads done on weekdays was I went into school for 8 and studied til 10 to 9 when it got noisy.

Jesus, fair play. Good show. I think that advice just got more valuable!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

4Xcut wrote:
    That ten minute break thing is so hard to come back from. I know this may be unpopular but continious assesment would be worse. You would have to be contiously good instead of 1 exam you'd have loads. I know this because i get like Cs in our weekly and Biweekly tests but for end of year exams/mocks(i.e. ones that somewhat matter as they are a more realistic projection of the leaving cert) the pressure all builds up and forces(scares) you into studying for an A.
    I'd actually agree with you there, the only time I'd ever argue in favour of continuous assessment is in an Irish essay about the education system/pressure on young people. I have had many a conversation with my Swedish cousins about the good and bad sides of each system - me speaking from a Leaving Cert point of view, them speaking from a continuous assessment point of view. Basically, the competition to get into good courses is just as keen in Sweden, but actually worse in a lot of ways. For a start, your performance in all classes is taken into account, which kinda sucks for my cousin Eoin (also in final year) because he sucks at PE, and has always sucked at PE, so it brings him down. Also, they have been continually assessed for the last three years, so when he finally realised he needed to work, it was kinda too late. There's no way he can recover any of the marks he's lost, even if he had got consistent A's for the last year. Yes, the system is probably great for some people, but I don't think it is the solution to the pressure on Leaving Cert students, not by a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Funkstard wrote:
    But they get the bonus marks for Irish, the bastards.

Grrr....its not as simple as that!!
    if only i had a spare month to explain it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Fishie wrote:
    my cousin Eoin (also in final year) because he sucks at PE, and has always sucked at PE, so it brings him down.

thatd be excellent, getting points for pe. for once id get on well at something i love!im so p*"*^d that pe didnt come in as a subject for our leaving!
    Angel thank god for someone else like me, cant motivate myself at all. I also struggle to do even 3hrs during the weeknights and 2 hrs during the weekend.
    I think i work best at cramming too, but what to cram for the exams is the question. If i had dead cert questions id have no prob cramming for them.its just so damn broad and wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Angel thank god for someone else like me, cant motivate myself at all. I also struggle to do even 3hrs during the weeknights and 2 hrs during the weekend.
    I think i work best at cramming too, but what to cram for the exams is the question. If i had dead cert questions id have no prob cramming for them.its just so damn broad and wide open.

Yep I didn't cram well last year (who cares), but this year I did a really good job during the mocks, I probably only got bout 3 hrs sleep before a lot of the exams but the work payed off especially considering I didn't study much before the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Funkstard wrote:
    I was talking to my cousin who's in 6th year. He's planning on getting 100 hours of study done from now on; 8hrs during the week for 10 days and 5hrs on the weekends. Psycho. There's absolutely no way I could do that much. I mean, I work best cramming, but that's just obscene

WTF?

That's not impossible.

I'm currently studying in school from 10am till 5pm with two half-hour breaks. Then I go home and do more study.

I haven't studied a significant amount during the year so I guess I'll feel the pain now. I knew that this would happen though (me doing most of my study from the lead up till the end) from the very start.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

thatd be excellent, getting points for pe. for once id get on well at something i love!im so p*"*^d that pe didnt come in as a subject for our leaving!
    I know it'd be really good for loads of people, but what I mean is that it's kinda unfair on people who aren't good at it. You should at least be able to choose PE or be able to choose if you want it to count for something. The way their system is set up, you have to excel at everything to get high marks - their system is done out of 20 points, and you have to get 20 points for courses such as Medicine

Advertisement