Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SP2 problems - constant rebooting

• 17-05-2005 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Just installed SP2 on a Toshiba laptop & it now constantly reboots, cant get safe mode or recovery console !! - any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you try booting off the cd and doing a repair. My laptop needs a bios upgrade before i can install sp2. i havent bothered with it. A good firewall keeps me safe.

Check the toshiba website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

That was the only way I could get in, but its knackered the XP install - takes about 3 minutes to get into the main screen now, so looks like its a complete re-install. Incidentally, the Tosh laptop was running the most up to date bios & still SP2 caused problems. For a disk that comes in a packet with the words 'share with your friends after you've installed it' - doesn't bode well for happy friendships !!!!

Quick question here.....the Tosh laptop was purchased new with XP Pro already installed, it has the serial key on the base of the lappy, but no XP disk. I do have a disk from my HP laptop though - what's the chances of using the HP disk with the Tosh key ??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Most media supplied by vendors will be "restore media", which will restore the factory installation, and some will check that the system is from the relevent vendor before performing the "restore", in other words its most likely useless on any other system.

if the media is a simple Windows XP distro then the key should be fine. it is unlikely to be a VLK version of the software which will require a different key.

also are both laptops running XP pro... as xp-home keys wont work with xp-pro and visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yep - both running XP Pro & both purchased around the same time, so should be a similar copy of XP.

The HP disk allows for a new installation, so I'm presuming its a full version - I'll give it a bash & let you know

Thanks for the help

Advertisement