Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony?

Options
  • 17-05-2005 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Ah well, this was bound to come up.

Which console (Xbox 360, Revolution, Playstation 3) out of the three gives you the best general impression?

Which console gives you the best general impression? 153 votes

Xbox 360
    0% 0 votes
    Revolution
    26% 41 votes
    Playstation 3
    26% 40 votes
    Atari Jaguar II (undecided)
    47% 72 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Which console (Xbox 360, Revolution, Playstation 3) out of the three gives you the best general impression?

Angelina Jolie.

PS3 definitely, then Xbox then Ninti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Powerwise the Ps3 and Xbox are stunning (both better that my Ultra running Doom3 PC )
    Games wise Rev with all those old games...

But pricewise im thinking Rev gonna be a hell fo a lot cheaper and it will ahve Zelda and mario so thats where my money going.

How much are the others gonna cost even at a loss!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, right now I'm most interested in price points. Sony and Microsoft will probably break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yeah, right now I'm most interested in price points. Sony and Microsoft will probably break the bank.
    it will have to be the xbox360

i love my xbox so much ill just have to get the xbox360

anyway ill buy all 3

Btw Ea are expecting to charge €75 for EVERY next gen game they create.
    Im guessing $449 and €499 pricing for both ps3 and xbox and possibly half for Rev.

If thats the case who comes out 1st wins.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

im going for bxbox360 at the minute, probably as theyre the only ones to have shown in game videos so far (ps3 were all cg videos apparantly)
    xbox 360 looks amazing. gears of war, pgr3, need for speep, all look awesome.
    i asked in game today were they taking pre-orders, not for another month apparantly :(
    ill try gamestop tomorrow. Eb and gamestop in us taking them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I think its far to early to take sides for a console. E3 hasn't even started.

And I honestly can't see many buying a console at €500. They can GTF with there €75 to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'll go with the Xbox360 although that is slightly biased cosidering I'm an xbox head already.
    I will say this though - the cell chip is rumoured to be very difficult to develop for, so I reckon the PS3 will be a year or two old before its potential is fully realised. By then the Xbox360 will have had plenty of development time to max out the hardware.

Mind you, in the land of universally advanced hardware specs - the game developers are kings. The best games will determine the best console because I can see very little between them all in the end in terms of technological advantages.

In terms of the war though - Sony will win (retain the market share). Loyalty plays a major part in these things and their existing customer base will pull through for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im gonna wait until the consoles can be chipped and get my games for 5 euro, cheers.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I think its far to early to take sides for a console. E3 hasn't even started.

And I honestly can't see many buying a console at €500. They can GTF with there €75 to.
    agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

The PS3 impressed me the most, I imagine i'll be buying it when it comes out.

The PS3 impressed me the most, I imagine i'll be buying it when it comes out.
    So what impressed you about it? and like wise for anyone who decided Xbox360 (trying to get propper debate going) ;)

Ciaran500 wrote:
    So what impressed you about it? (trying to get propper debate going) :)

What impressed me are the stunning specs, both those machines are amazing. They wipe my Pc off the floor and almost everyone else in sheer FPS possibleness.

Xbox at 3 cpus and a 500mhz ATI card, PS3 with a cell chip and nvidia card, both created to run games. They are quite fine machines.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

is it not 2TF vs 1TF or did i miss something in some spec sheet?

KdjaC wrote:
    What impressed me are the stunning specs, both those machines are amazing. They wipe my Pc off the floor and almost everyone else in sheer FPS possibleness.

Xbox at 3 cpus and a 500mhz ATI card, PS3 with a cell chip and nvidia card, both created to run games. They are quite fine machines.

kdjac

is each of those 3 cpus 3.2 ghz?

TBH I don't trust any of those "amazing" specs the companies post. Especially sony :/

Its 3 cores on the one chip each running at 3.2ghz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

CyberGhost wrote:
    is each of those 3 cpus 3.2 ghz?
    Yes

Well, it's 1 CPU with 3x 3.2Ghz cores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Think ill get a revolution and upgrade my pc to ps3 owning spec's in 2006 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

I voted PS3 but want to see this Revolutionary Nintendo
    Im going to get all 3

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59050

All running at 3.2

In theory they could take the entire processing over from a GPU and only need the GPU to display what IT rather than its own GPU tells it to.

Thats ****ing amazing.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Are we taking a poll on which we have the best idea of what we think it's gonna be like (Xbox in my opinion, then PS3) or are we polling on which we think will be the best from what we've seen (undecided but, as ever, I hope it's Nintendo)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Ciaran500 wrote:
    TBH I don't trust any of those "amazing" specs the companies post. Especially sony :/
    You think they scibbled out 2Ghz and just wrote 3Ghz on the chip? :)

While I'm sure the marketing people will come out with some ridiculous claims of what the consoles can do, I don't think they can get away with lying about what hardware is in the machine.

i wonder how fast wil people be able to chip/mod them this time

But clock speeds don't mean anything towards the performance.

I meant to say: "TBH I don't trust any of those "amazing" performace results these companies post" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm just gonna compare the PS3 and XBox 360, I watched the entire Nintendo press conference and feel like I know about as much about revolution now as I did a week ago so the jury is out there till I actually see some games and these amazing joypads they have planned. Backwards compatability is cool, but PCs, X-Boxes and even PSPs can do nes and snes games.

So, between 'the big two'

The PS3 had more games and better games, as well as being much more powerful. I sat through the full 2 hour press conference and while some of it reminded me of boring computer architecturer lectures nearly every tech demo and every game on show impressed me a heck of a lot.

Some were obviously pre-rendered, some were hard to tell, and some were most definitely real time. The tech demos at the start, the Unreal 3 demo, and the Fight Night demo were all explicitly confirmed as actual real time shots and were all extremely impressive. Knowing that they were real time makes it easy to believe that Killzone and some of the others were too. And if they weren't, it's not far off an accurate depiction of what the console can do. That Ubisoft shooting game looked really impressive and was most probably in-game footage, the desert racing game was impressive too although that looked more like a movie. I liked how they showed a number of big franchises and then followed with a number of equally impressive new titles. In nearly every case it wasn't the graphics so much as the sheer amount of activity on screen that caught my eyes. As showcased by the business of London Getaway demo. Sure the Getaway isn't anybody's favourite franchise, but it makes you see how cool the next GTA is gonna be, along with the potential for many completely new games.

The eyetoy stuff looked cool, the stuff with the cups at the start and then Eyedentity later on. I really hope that works out, its something that could easily be messed up but if they do it right it'll be really interesting. The technology and processing power is there for developers to do very innovative things.

Ok people are gonna say Sony fudged the numbers to make the PS3 look good. 2 terraflops is gonna be a 'best case scenario' and never entirely true. But Microsoft will have fudged their numbers just as much. If Sony's exageration is twice as big as MS's exageration(remembering they are based on something, not just randomly pulled off the top of their heads!), then Sony's true value will be twice as good as Microsofts true value. And as of right now, the game footage speaks for itself. Nothing on X360 excites me and lots of things on PS3 excite me, and I think that sums it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I haven't looked at any of the vid's yet, that'll wait till after tomorrows exam. I'm most looking forward to the revolution at this point but that's based on the prospect of playing body harvest again, not on my pc, and the first party releases. But I'll more than likely get one or both of the other consoles, weighing towards the ps3 since microsoft seem to be edging towards online and multi player gaming, and of course the fantastic ICO team-even if there aren't even the slightest details about well.....anything.

I'll probably not be using whatever I get for much other than games to be honest.

i wonder how fast wil people be able to chip/mod them this time

Intel have their new "**** with this board and it wont work technology" out now if thats incorporated into the consoles they will be dearer and it will take about 33 minutes longer.

Seemingly any modifcation to the mainboard renders the board useless. But for every lock there is a key and online key checking is the way to go, if your req to login regularly and cant access the online service will you chip your console to play pirates ? online key checking works whether they use it unknown.

kdjac

MrPinK wrote:
    Yes

Well, it's 1 CPU with 3x 3.2Ghz cores

Thanks for info!

heh, sony and ms, basically did the same thing, doesn't cell consist of mutiple cores?

btw, I see someone hacking those machines soon to install linux or maybe even windows, 20 gig HD, powerful vid, cpu, mutiple usb ports.... for around 300, sounds like a good deal.

steviec wrote:
    The PS3 had more games and better games, as well as being much more powerful.

There have been more games for the Xbox360 shown, and actual gameplay vids for alot of them. Everything shown for the PS3 has been FMV or specialy set up demos.
    steviec wrote:
    Some were obviously pre-rendered, some were hard to tell, and some were most definitely real time. The tech demos at the start, the Unreal 3 demo, and the Fight Night demo were all explicitly confirmed as actual real time shots and were all extremely impressive. Knowing that they were real time makes it easy to believe that Killzone and some of the others were too. And if they weren't, it's not far off an accurate depiction of what the console can do.

Saying that they are real time doesn't mean games will looks like that. In these vids there are no physics calculations, no ai, nothing more than pure rendering.
    steviec wrote:
    In nearly every case it wasn't the graphics so much as the sheer amount of activity on screen that caught my eyes. As showcased by the business of London Getaway demo. Sure the Getaway isn't anybody's favourite franchise, but it makes you see how cool the next GTA is gonna be, along with the potential for many completely new games.

If GTA is that detailed I'll eat my hat. The amount of time to create a full city of that detail would cost millions.
    steviec wrote:
    Ok people are gonna say Sony fudged the numbers to make the PS3 look good. 2 terraflops is gonna be a 'best case scenario' and never entirely true. But Microsoft will have fudged their numbers just as much. If Sony's exageration is twice as big as MS's exageration(remembering they are based on something, not just randomly pulled off the top of their heads!), then Sony's true value will be twice as good as Microsofts true value.

From what I undertand about the cell (not a huge amount TBH) the processor can be coded so the whole processor does one particular job toghter, in this case lost of complicated maths. The 360 cpu is a much more general processor that can't be coded to a particular task so would give lower result in benchs like the ones shown.
    steviec wrote:
    And as of right now, the game footage speaks for itself. Nothing on X360 excites me and lots of things on PS3 excite me, and I think that sums it up!

What game footage? :confused: They were all just special scenes set up and rendered on the PS3. i.e. tech demos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

At the moment - PS3, Rev, 360.

Advertisement