Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

monument wrote:
    The PS3 real time in-game videos were jaw-dropping
    Which in game footage is that?

I'm after spending way to much time thinking about all this, this morning (mainly because I'm meant to be studying :p) But Sony is claiming the Cell processor is twice as fast as the 360 chips. How does that make games so spectacularly looking. Its not the Cell thats is doing the graphics work, its the GPU, which from what I've heard are very evenly matched. Something just doesn't sum up here.

Another thing I found was: If Sony say it can do 2 teraflops and X360 can do 1.

Then Xbox360 is 1000% and the PS3 is 2000% faster than eight way power5 server selling at $500,000? Some very suspicious numbers bein thrown around by both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm after spending way to much time thinking about all this, this morning (mainly because I'm meant to be studying :p) But Sony is claiming the Cell processor is twice as fast as the 360 chips. How does that make games so spectacularly looking. Its not the Cell thats is doing the graphics work, its the GPU, which from what I've heard are very evenly matched. Something just doesn't sum up here.

Well the big difference with the floating point operations would be their ability to model physics, which the cell's distributed setup would be ideal for...Which as u can imagine will make a massive difference to the playability of most games from car racing to fps's...

But how does that allow such a jump in graphics between two similary match GPU's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Demos mean absolutely nothing, they're just pretty pictures to advertise a console that isn't even out yet. I'm not voting until I see ingame footage demos (proper ones) or get to play them. It's all about the games, and this is all just fluff that means nothing (pretty as it may be, and may get us excited about the consoles, it doesn't mean that much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

...and Retr0 wishes that Sega had done this emulation thing before... :p

you know thats something thats occured to me. Will MS or Sony do a deal with Sega to allow emulation of all the old sms, megadrive games etc on one of the new machines to combat Nintendo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Ah well, this was bound to come up.

Which console (Xbox 360, Revolution, Playstation 3) out of the three gives you the best general impression?
    In fairness, none of us has a general impression yet... all any of us have seen is marketing and 'specs' for them.

imo, I don't really give a **** about how many polys each can handle as long as they use them properly; ie in a good game.

saying that though, I'm sure I'll buy all of them, I mean what else am I going to do with all my money now I'm a grown-up... put it towards a pension:?:)

MrPinK wrote:
    You think they scibbled out 2Ghz and just wrote 3Ghz on the chip? :)

While I'm sure the marketing people will come out with some ridiculous claims of what the consoles can do, I don't think they can get away with lying about what hardware is in the machine.
    lol... were you around for any of the previous console launches???

A lot of pre-launch hype of consoles has been blatant lies(if not exageration)

According to the ad-men:

16-bit would change your life!

PS1: was capable of Terminator 2 style graphics... Jurrasic Park was peanuts in comparison...

PS2: EmotionEngine could react to your emotions!! It was also capable of T2-good graphics,

That's not to mention all the meaningless amounts of polygons each is supposedly capable of(but when you read the small print these figures are actually Peak Rates as opposed to the norm).... Sony, XBox, Sega and Nintendo all did this for some of their consoles.(except for the GC, Nintendo was actually underestimating it's power!)

In retrospect(apart from the GC which I mentioned earlier) the only console I can think of that met or exceeded it's own pre-launch hype was the Sega DC, that has better GFX that any of the current gen('cept XBox)!! It also has some cool ass games.

KdjaC wrote:
    Btw Ea are expecting to charge €75 for EVERY next gen game they create.
    Im guessing $449 and €499 pricing for both ps3 and xbox and possibly half for Rev.

ARE YOU FOR REAL??? $449??????

Jesus I hope not!

That would be a suicidal price! I can't see anyone paying that, unless it has some kind of BluRay player(like the PS2's DVD). But still.

I read that M$ were going for a 250$ launch price(and this was before design specs were finalised, so they could have done it)

And 75 for each game... heh:rolleyes:

Back to the dark-ages of 65 pounds for SuperSF2Alpha!

I'm still not too sure about this new gen* I might just play all the old games I haven't played yet on the current gen and older until ye can mod the new ones, then I'll be pirating my life-up. Yaaaaarrrrrrrrrr, matey!

*who am I kidding, I love new stuff, esp if it's just 250$, I'll probably get one by Xmas!!

it will have to be the xbox360

i love my xbox so much ill just have to get the xbox360

FANBOI :p

anyway ill buy all 3

I reckon, if next gen is anything like this one, a lot of people will too. Including me:) (disposable income is just too eay to come accross!! roll on the next great depresion!)

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Demos mean absolutely nothing, they're just pretty pictures to advertise a console that isn't even out yet. I'm not voting until I see ingame footage demos (proper ones) or get to play them. It's all about the games, and this is all just fluff that means nothing (pretty as it may be, and may get us excited about the consoles, it doesn't mean that much).
    Yup, agreed. Are you really a girl.. that's a very level-headed view, I thought girls just liked shiny things and lipstick:p

All this talk is pointless. Good fun getting all hyped up about it but it's pointless all the same. All that'll matter will be the games. And the 'microtransactions'... I can't wait to see what crap they are gonna try to sell us!

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But how does that allow such a jump in graphics between two similary match GPU's?
    GR4F1X Wh0re!!!1!

I think what Bobo is getting at is that graphics don't matter, they'll still be excellent, but they'll also have the potential to have amazingly advanced physics engines in addition to their amazing GFX.

It'll mean shag all if all we get is an endless stream of FIFA Street-clones(/shudder-to-the-max) though.

Jesus, dearg_doom, spam much? That's 6 replies from you in a row. Try condensing it into one post :p

dearg_doom wrote:
    I think what Bobo is getting at is that graphics don't matter, they'll still be excellent, but they'll also have the potential to have amazingly advanced physics engines in addition to their amazing GFX.

It'll mean shag all if all we get is an endless stream of FIFA Street-clones(/shudder-to-the-max) though.

I was commenting on how unrealitic the graphics that the PS3 is supposedly able to do in realtime just because its CPU is faster than the 360's.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

i taught the xbox360 looked the better especially ghost recon 3 wow but i have to say i think xbox made a mistake of going for hdd then blue-ray?

johnnyc wrote:
    but i have to say i think xbox made a mistake of going for hdd then blue-ray?
    Why? The majority of current games are barely even filling a DVD-5 so DVD-9 is more that enough for now. A HDD is essential to Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Fanboys start your engines! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Praetorian wrote:
    Fanboys start your engines! :)

You're jealous that you can't align yourself to a corrupt corporate power, you PC head, you :p

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why? The majority of current games are barely even filling a DVD-5 so DVD-9 is more that enough for now. A HDD is essential to Live.

You dont think using DVD-9 is going to handicap the xbox 360/revolution? its giving the ps3 a major advantage imo.

Also its got the fact that its a blu-ray player going for it. similar to ps2 being a dvd player.

skywalker wrote:
    You dont think using DVD-9 is going to handicap the xbox 360/revolution? its giving the ps3 a major advantage imo.

How could a smaller storage for handicap a console. GC handled it fine. At worst we will see two disc games.

And in an unrelated note: http://uk.playstation.com/news/newsStory.jhtml%3Bjsessionid=GTPGVNKGHZDGQCQSBLUSELQ?storyId=106796_en_GB_NEWS&linktype=NT3

Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PLAYSTATION 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

thats what i believe the xbox made a major mistake with hdd instead of blue ray. but the xbox wins hands down in the exterior..the ps3 looks like a sky digital box?

No, id say at worst your going to see 4 and 5 disc games coming out by the end of the next gen consoles lifespan.

Its debatable whether GC handled it fine, Tiger woods being an example a friend was telling me about, aparently when making your own course you could find yourself swapping discs after each hole.

Plus as Ive said, people will buy the ps3 as its a blu-ray player. Its giving the competition an unneccessary advantage.

You are never going to see a 45gb game next generation. Single layer Blu ray discs give storage of about 20gb, which is just over 2 DVD-9 discs. More than enough.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You are never going to see a 45gb game next generation. Single layer Blu ray discs give storage of about 20gb, which is just over 2 DVD-9 discs. More than enough.

- from blu-ray.com
    "A single-layer disc can fit 23.3GB, 25GB or 27GB.
    A dual-layer disc can fit 46.6GB, 50GB or 54GB.

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB-200GB (25GB per layer) in the future simply by adding more layers to the discs."

Your always going to have extravagent games like PGR which will make use of whats available to them. Not making that space available for no aparent benefit doesnt seem like smart business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Well I can already see by the results that the PS3 rules! Killzone 2 hell yeah! I just want to see all 3 in the ring at E3 today. I think nintendo needs to step back and look at the compitition. It seems to me that the only thing good they came out with was downloading the old games.....that's it. And mario DDR!? I'm not going to go there.
    I'm just ready for E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Illuvatar wrote:
    Well I can already see by the results that the PS3 rules! Killzone 2 hell yeah! I just want to see all 3 in the ring at E3 today. I think nintendo needs to step back and look at the compitition. It seems to me that the only thing good they came out with was downloading the old games.....that's it. And mario DDR!? I'm not going to go there.
    I'm just ready for E3.

yeah it rules by a whole 7 votes. Total domination of the poll. I voted Nintendo myself. Self confessed fanboy here. Having not seen anything from either nintendo or ps3(representations see above gameswize we really cant comment. I personally will probably buy 2 out of the 3. Revolution first. Then see which one of the others takes my fancy. Quite like the look of Elder Scrolls 4 tbh.

I just.... you people make my brain hurt. You're talking about which console is better, out of consoles that aren't even done yet or anywhere near being released.
    I hate the threads of "which console is best" out of the current ones, but this discussion just boggles the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I see your point Koneko. Very well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

koneko wrote:
    I just.... you people make my brain hurt. You're talking about which console is better, out of consoles that aren't even done yet or anywhere near being released.
    I hate the threads of "which console is best" out of the current ones, but this discussion just boggles the mind.

Its a "which console gave the best general impression" thread from what we saw yesterday and the day before.

• Advertisement

It's all marketing (and half of it isn't even game-stuff, it's prerendered advertising). You're being suckered into being a fanboy by marketing.

Advertisement