Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Well people promise things and they can say we're doing this, this, and this. But it doesn't mean it's going to happen. koneko just wants the final product before he judges. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

she

And yeah, thats right. Marketing, to me, means very little. The PS2 had all these fancy screenshots and promises and it was all BS.

SONY (or Microsoft/Nintendo, whoever) are trying to sell a console, so they'll want to make you excited about it. That doesn't mean you have to believe every word in their press releases, because it's all hype. They want you to buy it, they don't want to be honest with you or be your friend, they want your money. Form your opinions when there is something to be informed about, atm there is nothing, no games, no consoles, just hype.

This doesn't mean I'm not excited about what's coming up, there is huge potential here, but I'm not "OMG THE PS3 WILL KICK THE XBOX FAT ASS OLOLOL" because none of us can possibly know which will be better as they aren't even out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

skywalker wrote:
    Your always going to have extravagent games like PGR which will make use of whats available to them. Not making that space available for no aparent benefit doesnt seem like smart business.
    Project Gotham racing 2 is 3gb. There is a massive benifit, they would to pay silly amounts to Sony to use blue ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

koneko wrote:
    It's all marketing (and half of it isn't even game-stuff, it's prerendered advertising). You're being suckered into being a fanboy by marketing.

Im already a fanboy. I loves Nintendo. Gave me the best years gaming and all that...

Anyway of course it is far far too early to make any judgements. This was about the impression people got. Nintendo showed fook all tbh but the backwards compatibility thing made me salivate....just wish they would show us more. Instead people here are speculating that the processing power is going to be in the controller. I mean come on...wtf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

People do realise that there are laws against false advertising?

If a company says "our console does x floating point calculations per second", then that means it does do x floating point calculations per second in a best case scenario. If they say "this demo is being processed in real time on our hardware" then the demo is indeed being processed in real time on their hardware. They can't just lie about these things.

When they say "this console is 35 times faster than our previous console" that means they've picked out whatever statistic has made the biggest leap forward and used that for comparison. A lot of the numbers mean very little, but they all have to be based in fact and every company is trying equally to make their console look good so when one company has consistently better figures than the other that does actually mean something. It doesn't mean that they're better at lying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Project Gotham racing 2 is 3gb. There is a massive benifit, they would to pay silly amounts to Sony to use blue ray.

No its about 6gb. I have it at home, I can post up the exact size later.

Halo 2, the new goldeneye, and a dozen other games are on DL discs too. But thats not the point, Ill say again, your always going to have extravagent games like PGR which will make use of whats available to them. Not making that space available for no aparent benefit doesnt seem like smart business.

they could have used hd-dvd just as easy.

"XBOX Project Gotham Racing 2 PAL DVD Games-XBox 3.31 GB"
    "Halo 2 XBOX Games-XBox 2.8 GB"
    "GoldenEye Rogue Agent Games-XBox 2.27 GB"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

dearg_doom wrote:
    lol... were you around for any of the previous console launches???

A lot of pre-launch hype of consoles has been blatant lies(if not exageration)
    No, that would be the marketing crap that I said they make up. What I said was they can't lie about the hardware specs. They can make up all the claims they want (their 2T FLOPS claim is completely fudged for example, seeing as they're using single precision floating point instructions rather than double precision, and just adding the cpu and gpu capabilities together). The specifications for the cpu, gpu and the rest of the architecture speaks for themselves.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    "XBOX Project Gotham Racing 2 PAL DVD Games-XBox 3.31 GB"
    "Halo 2 XBOX Games-XBox 2.8 GB"
    "GoldenEye Rogue Agent Games-XBox 2.27 GB"

Just because you put something in quotation marks doesnt make it true, where are you getting those figures from? I have those games at home and I can vouch for how big they are. Anyone else wanna back me up here.

There from torrent sites. Therefore I can't post links.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

BlitzKrieg wrote:

I dont care if games get more expensive.

I dont care if we only have 12 games released a year...I dont care.

I want Developers to actually craft their ****ing games Not mass produce them with little touches and make overs to diversify them.

+1 Agreed:)

quality quality quality. That's surely not too much to expect in a game?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    There from torrent sites. Therefore I can't post links.

Right. So maybe you should just trust me when I say I have them at home and I know how big they are. Its not that important is it? I could put up screenshots of the folder sizes of my backups but its hardly going to prove anything is it?

/edit. Its also quite possible the torrent files are linking to a compressed RAR file.

The most a rar of an iso takes off is a few hundred mb's.

Your determined to argue this right down to the last arent ya :p

I'm trying to study. So yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Probably get the 360 and the revolution. 360 cos of the likes of halo, and ex-square guy, and rev so I can play Kid Icarus on my tv again. Be nice if the rev also matched to my HDTV =)

Ive been there. In fact I should probly get back to work.

What were we arguing again? :D:D

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I was commenting on how unrealitic the graphics that the PS3 is supposedly able to do in realtime just because its CPU is faster than the 360's.
    Hang on mate, do you speak English? 'cos I don't speak mumbo-jumbo...

I'm not sure what you're on about so I'll reply to what I think you're trying to say:)

...if you're trying to say real-time graphics can't be improved soley by a fast CPU; you are wrong, the Saturn did it. BUT you are right that it is very hard to code such games effectively(I think only about 4 Saturn games could rival he PS1 graphically!)

...if you're trying to say that clock speed doesn't affect graphics performance much, you're wrong; try playing FarCry on two rigs, both with the fanciest, most expensive GFX card that money can buy, then put a P43.4GHz in one and a P41.4 in the other. you'll notice a difference.

... if you're trying to complement me on the nice t-shirt I'm wearing; well frankly I'd be a bit worried, but it is cool, isn't it? I got it online:)

I was saying that between the Xbox360 and the PS3 the GPU (graphics processing units) are very similar, but the Cell processors is supposedly much faster. Yet the footage shown as what the PS3 is capable of is light years ahead of the Xbox360. Just doesn't add up.

The T-shirt isn't bad, makes you look a bit slutty though. :p

koneko wrote:
    Jesus, dearg_doom, spam much? That's 6 replies from you in a row. Try condensing it into one post :p

CreamOfSpam.jpg
    bardspam.jpg
    spam-c07.jpg
    spamcar97.jpg

Jeez moany, you sure are a girl, aren't ye? Love to complain, eh?:):p

I just posted them here 'cos I was trying to work and slack off at the same time, so it took a while)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Are we taking a poll on which we have the best idea of what we think it's gonna be like (Xbox in my opinion, then PS3) or are we polling on which we think will be the best from what we've seen (undecided but, as ever, I hope it's Nintendo)?

Well judging from the Sony game demos the PS3 is already far far better then the Xbox360 games demos, thats if the PS3 demos are to be believed, the UNREAL demo was real but that looked similar to some of the xbox stuff, wait Im confused

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I was saying that between the Xbox360 and the PS3 the GPU (graphics processing units) are very similar, but the Cell processors is supposedly much faster. Yet the footage shown as what the PS3 is capable of is light years ahead of the Xbox360. Just doesn't add up.

Ah yes, I get ye now! I love a good conspiracy theory!! All this marketing bull**** just never stops though does it:?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The T-shirt isn't bad, makes you look a bit slutty though. :p

I wish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Coming Soon to a forum near you "Revenge of the Console Wars"
    from the ashes of the previous console war comes the uber fanboys, the insults are worse the rants are longer and fanboyism more relentless, no console is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You are never going to see a 45gb game next generation. Single layer Blu ray discs give storage of about 20gb, which is just over 2 DVD-9 discs. More than enough.
    one simple question for you there, Why?
    current games can use a full single layer disk, and the boost in textures that we could be looking at, aswell as potentially very massive maps and inbuilt video's for sections and so on, there is no reason to think it couldnt spiral up.

Multiplayer mods now are all >1gb, so if you double texture sizes or more it ends up increasing very fast, HD quality video/game textures would require a stupid ammount of space.
    Why? The majority of current games are barely even filling a DVD-5 so DVD-9 is more that enough for now. A HDD is essential to Live.
    As pointed out above that means shag all, look at the texture quality off an xbox, its woefull even by today's standards, jump from that to HD and you get more than a 2fold requirement in space.

And also with the possible convergence of HD and Blu-ray that was being discussed earlier in the year the PS3 would have a massive advantage in being able to play all the next gen video's, the penatration of which will be extreemly rapid in the US/Japan as alot of people have already bought HD tv's for HDTV streams.

Nowww where to poke more holes in what yer saying...
    Hrmm for every polygon the GPU renders the CPU will have to figure out where it is and what its doing, so well the more polygons the more work, and the more intense the physics/textures the more load on the CPU, which is where having a cell comes in. And it might be possible to hand of some of the GPU's work onto the cell. The cell is also doing the sound, so that could be having a bigger dent on the triple core xbox 360.
    hal9000 wrote:
    Coming Soon to a forum near you "Revenge of the Console Wars"
    from the ashes of the previous console war comes the uber fanboys, the insults are worse the rants are longer and fanboyism more relentless, no console is safe
    Thanks for posting, now someone please ban him off the board for a pointless post thats just plain annoying n has been said so many times its not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Darth Bobo wrote:
    Thanks for posting, now someone please ban him off the board for a pointless post thats just plain annoying n has been said so many times its not funny.
    Or you could take anger management and learn some tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

wow thanks for your imformative post aswell, kudos for being such an a$$ and pointing out the errors of my way. lighten up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Or you could take anger management and learn some tolerance.
    I could, but after seen the same post i'd say a good solid 40 times since the console launches came near its become rather tiresome n stupid, it ads nothing to the discussion whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the xbox and ps3 gpu's will most likely come out very similar, but sony's disc capacity and cpu simply blow the xbox out of the water like the duck at the ps3 demo :p

insider talk is saying the nintendo is actually going to be close, if not better, then the xbox. bastards wont reveal much though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

disc capacity will not be an issue. Playing blu-ray movies might.

Afaik, xbox games won't read in a pc dvd-rom, as they spin the other way. Does a chipped xbox give the disc capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Here's my opinion on the Nintendo situation (I've tried to limit fanboyism):

Many would say that they would hate to be in the position of Nintendo at the moment. That Nintendo are in last place, impression-wise and are in the backround. I disagree. I would love to be Nintendo now (although I'd love to be Nintendo at any time). Here's why: Sony and Microsoft have released pretty much all their main details and while they both have inpressive specs. and what not, it's nothing to make anyone widen their eyes in awe. We've been here before when the current generation came out. People were just as excited now as they were then only this time they've had to give us more. That's the nature of progress.
    So we've got specs. and stuff but neither of the consoles in and of themsleves are that exciting. They're a little exciting but no more than usual. Now I make my point.
    Nintendo are in a great place now becasue all they need is 1 thing, 1 idea, 1 amazing innovation that's original and different and practical. Even if their specs. aren't as high as the PS3's or the Xbox 360's if they can pull something really special out of the bag they can definately win this war. And now, it is a war!

So being that Sony's and Microsoft's consoles seem to be based completely on jacked-up specs. (something that's reletively detached and therefore unimpressionable or joe gamer) and don't offer any REAL innovation, if Nintendo can come up with something wild then Sony and Microsoft will have some major competition. And right now, that wild thang seems most likely to be based in the area of the Revolution's control system which we have no facts about. I certainly hope Nintendo can pull it off. Out of the 3 developers they're probably the ones most likely to pull off something like this. Something new, simple and classic!

Advertisement