Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I'm for PS3. But the people selling the GC didn't really tell you what it can do. It's a black box wow? NOTHING. So either nintendo people are really going to get hurt or they will possibly take second (first going to SONY obviously). Nintendo didn't do much to counter the PSP in any way. The came out with a mini!? That's pretty lame if it can't do much different. Smaller IC like that can't be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Right so, anyway, I was watching the Reggie Fils-Aime Gamespot interview and he made a good point that with the admitedly impressive specs. of Xbox360 and PS3 it would take 100+ teams of developers to fully take advantage of such specs. and that not many developing studios are able to devote 100+ teams for 1-2 years on creating a game.

Whadda ya thing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Right so, anyway, I was watching the Reggie Fils-Aime Gamespot interview and he made a good point that with the admitedly impressive specs. of Xbox360 and PS3 it would take 100+ teams of developers to fully take advantage of such specs. and that not many developing studios are able to devote 100+ teams for 1-2 years on creating a game.

Whadda ya thing?

How people develop games is undergoing a big change. There are two schools of thought:

1) Games will become increasingly expensive to make, with 100+ teams and movie sized budgets.

2) About a dozen companies will develop games engines (think Epic, ID and Valve), along with some other companies who develop physics engines (Irish company Havok who did the physics in Half-Life 2) and AI engines.

Then all the other companies with smaller teams will license these engines, put them together and build games around them.

Both are likely to occur, but I think the second option will happen much more often. Games like Counter Strike and others have proven you can do an awful lot with very little resources. Code reuse is a very natural idea for programmers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I will, at one stage or another, likely get all three. It all depends on the order that I get them in though. To be quite honest, i refrained for making any comments while the major hype was still going on, and now that its died down a bit, I have to admit that I'm less impressed with everything than I thought that I would be. I cant really explain why, perhaps its the very real feeling that this is just more of the same from all parties.

Of course, it could just be because I'm curently failing my exams. :(

p.s. Any news of the Phantom, or whatever its called? Just for a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D_Money5042000

I got my gamecube summer 2003, PS2 april 2004, and XBOX xmas 2004, So I'm guessing i will do the same and eventually choose just 1 or 2 since i sold my gamecube on ebay after i got my xbox and saw that ps2 and xbox were just way better. And the thing that pissed me off the most was that Gamecube had absolutely no intentions of enableing online gameplay while Sony does it for free and microsoft for free and then a small price. I'm guessing nintendo learned from their mistakes and came ready to play with the big boys this time around. although it doesn't seem like it. So in conclusion I pick the 360 then ps3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Probably the PS3 when the first price drop happens then get the Revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

CatInABox wrote:
    p.s. Any news of the Phantom, or whatever its called? Just for a laugh
    Here's your laugh... :D
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/19/technology/personaltech/e3_phantom/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

There is an interesting thing about the Ninty Revolution here:
    http://www.msbetas.org/board/index.php?showtopic=7456

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Hmmmmmmm.... Very interesting indeed, indeed. Well we'll find out soon enough. God I hope so.

P.S. Winters: I see you're 1 post away from 7,000. Go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Winters wrote:
    That is interesting - but I really really hope there's not too much hype and it ends up being nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That is interesting - but I really really hope there's not too much hype and it ends up being nothing...

yep, I'm preparing to be unpleasantly surprised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

that whole thing was meant to be revealed on the last day of E3, the 19th. It has been proven to be a load of hype and rubbish since.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

well as far as which console I'll be getting, is concerned, I reckon there's no harm in a bit of speculating based on whats been revealed so far.
    The thing that'll swing for me , is ,the quality of the exclusive games to each system.
    Based on what I've seen so far, the PS3 seems to hold the most promise.
    I can play the likes of CoD 2 on my laptop and I've no intention of buying all three.
    Nintendo are as usual, an enigma, espescially since, once again they've decided to go with yet another non universal media format, but I'd also have to say I'm not a mario junkie and I'd rather play something that looks like I-8 than zelda, lovely and all as it looks
    So for now I reckon its sony 'll be getting my money this time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Interesting article on IGN from Microsoft about Xbox360 vs PS3. Who would of thought it but they make it sound like the Xbox360 is the more powerful one.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

That article is a transcript of what Microsoft sent them, as opposed to an actual IGN article.
    Microsoft has clearly slanted this info, and we're not endorsing it, just printing their version. There is a difference.

Interesting article on IGN from Microsoft about Xbox360 vs PS3.

Thats why I said that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Winters wrote:

Thats a pretty pathetic article... I just think alot of people cant handle the fact that revolution isnt all that revolutionary. The controller may have something new to it but I dont think its going to be as big as people are thinking. I seriously doubt the revolution console that was shown was a 'mock up' either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Interesting article on IGN from Microsoft about Xbox360 vs PS3
    I love this graph!

I was having such a hard time getting my head around how xbox360 has 3 PowerPC cores, and PS3 has 1. But now MS have explained it to me so clearly. Their bar is three times bigger than sony's. It all makes sense now! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I seriously doubt that sony sent microsoft a PS3 let alone a developement kit. Those figures could only be pulled from the minds of the marketing monkeys that made up such waffle. I expected something like that from sony (because according to them the PS2 pushed 7 times more polygons than the Gamecube) and not from microsoft. They reallyshould set up a schoolyard for the console manufacturers to bicker in and not force us to listen to their spouted marketing excrement and fanboy ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It got us talking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Microsoft in claiming new console is more powerful than sonys shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

who knows?? I doubt Microsoft or Sony do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I seriously doubt that sony sent microsoft a PS3 let alone a developement kit. Those figures could only be pulled from the minds of the marketing monkeys that made up such waffle. I expected something like that from sony (because according to them the PS2 pushed 7 times more polygons than the Gamecube) and not from microsoft. They reallyshould set up a schoolyard for the console manufacturers to bicker in and not force us to listen to their spouted marketing excrement and fanboy ammunition.

you dont expect that from MS, are you kidding?, for years now they have been the masters of bogus WIndows performance scalability white papers, and misinformation re Linux amongs others

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote:
    They reallyshould set up a schoolyard for the console manufacturers to bicker in and not force us to listen to their spouted marketing excrement and fanboy ammunition.

Amen to that, sick of all of these quotes for specs for consoles that are meaningless til we can actually play some games on the things, I mean Halo meant nothing until we could get control of Master Chief for ourselves.

Expect the slew of marketing rubbish to get worse when the Xbox360 is about to be launched, remember the load of cobblers fed to the masses by Sony when the Dreamcast was in its first days, many people bought it all and waited for the "Emotion Engine" powered console, and all despite the PS2 launch line up being abysmal compared to the titles available for the DC at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the christmas the PS2 was released the DC sold 5 times more than the PS2 but all we heard about was the shortages of the PS2. I didn't want one until a full year later and the advent of GTA3 and DMC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know a lot of people blame Sega for their own downfall but I found the staff in Game and the like just weren't interested in doing anything other than spouting the Sony lines about how revolutionary the console was going to be and how you would be mad to buy a DC. I picked mine up at the jap launch with Virtua Fighter 3tb and Incoming, and very happy I was too. Picked up a PS2 at launch so don't get me wrong I have no axe to grind for any one manufacturer, its just, in hindsight the diferences between DC and PS2 were not as great as we were led to believe, and fooled as the public became the DC just sank beneath the waves of indifference. You can almost see the DS having the same fate this Xmas at the hands off the PSP, despite both machines having their strengths and weaknesses. Have both, nearly prefer DS, its just more fun.

Lets hope the new console market can sustain 3 machines of the type coming, the sort of development times and therefore investment needed to create a game capable of showing off such tech is going to cost a mint, and we can expect to see developers only creating titles for formats they can be sure of a return on. Lets hope Nintendo pull their home console reputation out of the fire here in Europe and create a Nintendo machine all can be proud to display under their TV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

hairball wrote:
    who knows?? I doubt Microsoft or Sony do...

Me: Sony says the PS3 is more powerful
    MS: No it’s not. Talk to the analysts/developers
    Me: But they back Sony up!
    MS: Yea, but nobody has the two consoles in their hands, wait till that happens.
    Me: Well based on the number the to of you have put out the PS3 is more powerful
    MS: Floating point only accounts for something like 20%….

NOT AN ACTUAL TRANSCRIPT

And people complained that Xbox isn't focusing on games ¬_¬

"The PlayStation [3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine," "With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126423.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Interesting read Ciaran. I think the main point here is that we are moving away from game consoles and into the relm of media centers. MS and Sony fully copped onto the pontential when everyone got xboxs chipped. Nothing on the market compared to a chipped xbox.

Now thats what they are giving us a complete entertainment system. Also all the fanboy bashing of specs is hillarious. Yeah PS3 kicks a$$ because it can process 70billion thingys that i know nothing about and it has a cell processor cool. Ask these people what is a cell proc and names it advantages? Ehhhhhh is the common answer. Tech specs mean very little to general public. How long since Nokia advertised a phone with such a talk time, stand by time, screen size etc... now its 60,000 annoying ring tones with downloadable option and java games etc... its all about the add ons people and not the actual hard ware

Advertisement