Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAM!! Eircom.net (Dresden)email spam & viruses

Options
  • 17-05-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum.

Has anyone noticed a huge increase in the amount of spam arriving in their eircom.net email accounts. I know most younger people favour the gmail/hotmail/yahoo addresses, but for those of us who can remember the old days when Tinet dial-up was king, a lot of people still have an e-mail address from them.

Since the weekend my account is getting anywhere between 15-20 spam mails during the working day. A lot of shíte about Dresden bombings etc., and also the usual "I have $40 million fúcking dollars with no home, can you mind it for me in your bank account until I escape from <insert name of central african country>"

Another thing we've noticed on our work addresses, is that there has been a lot of the Netsky(?) virus coming in. Always in batches of two emails at a time? I've seen shíte coming in today from addresses at multi-nationals domains, banks etc. I even had one from Vincent Brown's Irish Times email address!

One of the theories put forward by our residence conspiracy theorist is that after a while Eircom "put your address out there" and the less knowledgeable user will call them wanting to sign up for their €2 per month anti-spam deal. A bit far-fetched I think, but you never know.

Your thoughts/feedback are appreciated...

bruachain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The amount of spam you get usually depends on how much you put your email address about. If you sign up for things and register with sites.

The virus's probably come from someone that has you in their address book that is infected with the latest virus going around.
    The from addresses mean nothing since they are probably faked.

Think about it any third party website that you've ever signed up for could have sold on your email address. Also if your PC has spyware on it then this could be harvesting your address and sending it out. Does your email address apear on any websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its actaully affecting loads of other isps as well. Those german emails are plaguing aol at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

They can also trail through the internet and filter out email address's, in fact you can do it with google if you put enough time into it, Once you email address is out there its spamable.
    I had an o2 account which usually are grand but then was put on a site for a project in college and th next day spam started coming :(.
    Gmail seems pretty dafe for the old spam had none on that yet.
    For an invite PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Yes i do remeber tinet.

Yes i do get a monster amount of spam in my inbox. Its probably my fault.

I've been meaning to change my eircom.net address to avoid the spammers.... my next mail address will be a closely guarded secret.

My gmail account is clean as a whistle... same goes for my hotmail account. Its all flitered out so far. Rare that i'd get spam into either account.

Just goes to show you... gmail & hotmail are free and they put effort into spam filters. I pay for my eircom.net (i have BB) and they put absolutely no effort into spam filters. €ircon....

Advertisement