Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday's REAL Cup Final

• 17-05-2005 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

The Setanta Cup Final.

Tolka Park, 19.30.

Shelbourne FC -v- Linfield (they are currently beating Glentoran 3-0, so more than likely).

Although Linfield are beating Glentoran well, I think Shels will be a completely different proposition, and it will be the best teams, I feel, from both leagues, competing in the Final.

(Linield just scored their fourth).

To add a bit of spice, Shels manager Pat Fenlon used to play for Linfield.

FORZA SHELS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Altho i hate Shels lots, i would have prefered Glens in the final to see a true reflection fo best of them and best of us.

Havent seen a single moment of Setanta cup not even a goal so no clue how nordies are playing but expect Shels to win.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hopefully linfield will kick a few lumps out of $helbourne!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know how any Irish EL supporter could cheer on Linfield on Saturday. Jesus, I'm a Celtic supporter and I would probably be cheering on Rangers against Linfield.

/edit - well maybe not but anyone other than Rangers. :) I'd always back the Irish clubs against other clubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

wakey wakey... were going to give them a real monkeying once they come down to Tolka ... i cant see shels not winning this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i shall try me best to make it to tolka for this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

North vs South
    Britain vs Ireland
    Blue vs Red
    Evil vs Ollie :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't know how any Irish EL supporter could cheer on Linfield on Saturday. Jesus, I'm a Celtic supporter and I would probably be cheering on Rangers against Linfield.

/edit - well maybe not but anyone other than Rangers. :) I'd always back the Irish clubs against other clubs though.

Eh, it's pure economics. The more Shels win the more cash they get and the more they pull away from the rest of the league turning it into Norway Mark 2.

Plus I have a lot against Shels from a rivalry POV. I have nothing against Linfield. What exactly do you have against Linfield?

Still reckon Shels will win it tho.

BTW, if Rangers, Celtic and Linfield were in a group and Celtic needed Linfield to beat Rangers for your lot to qualify, who would you be up for then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    What exactly do you have against Linfield?
    Their anti-Irishness basically. Is there a worse anti-Irish team in world football? I don't like to generalise but there is a lot of scum associated with the club, that is well publicised.
    BTW, if Rangers, Celtic and Linfield were in a group and Celtic needed Linfield to beat Rangers for your lot to qualify, who would you be up for then?
    Linfield. Easily. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I hope Nutsy gets it right, none of this Alan Moore/Jamie Harris up front crap. Get Ndo back in the team, he's played enough reserve football (And being by far the best player on the pitch each time in the process as expected) now to be capable of stepping in for the full match. Fitzpatrick up front with Byrne, assume O'Neill and Crowe still out, Ryan, Byrne, Ndo and Hoolahan in mid field and I think he'll play Baker right back without Heary or he'll give a debut to Brennan, Hawkins back in and I'd love to say beside Harris with Rogers left back but sadly he'll probably stick with Crawley.

I'd say that if Setanta could have picked a final this is probably what they would have gone for, it's North v South and despite Glentoran winning the league Linfield is still by far the biggest name up north and Shels the biggest name of the southern entries.

It'll be a great occasion if it passes without any trouble, and if we could win it it'll be great to be the first winners and also the money could bring in a few players before the CL starts to make the kind of impact Moore and Ndo made in europe last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Apparently Linfield have sold about 1000 tickets already.

Should be a great crowd.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Linfield. Easily. :)

Well then you know where we're coming from. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Im disappointed that City didnt get to the final.

I hope Shels beat them. I don't say that very often.

I've just been given my ticket.

It's lovely so it is. Black with shiny silver print on it :D

I'm in the mood now.

FORZA SHELS

Kick off still 7.30?

Or has it been changed so the Shels Ultra doesnt cause trouble , hes a tuff one that guy.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Kick off still 7.30?

Or has it been changed so the Shels Ultra doesnt cause trouble , hes a tuff one that guy.

kdjac
    :D

Still 7.30 as far as I know, says so on the ticket anyway.

Looking forward to all them Linfield fans with no-one to fight, maybe they'll turn on each other.

seansouth wrote:

Looking forward to all them Linfield fans with no-one to fight, maybe they'll turn on each other.

Err they will find someone.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

They'll find me as I hunt for a ticket tomorrow afternoon! :eek: Oh, how i will suffer!

Heh, in all seriousness though, there's been the odd few on the Shels board recently, and they all seem to have decent heads ont heir shoulders (from what I can tell), and are more interested in the football than anything, as it should be. Afterall, tomorrow is a huge day for both clubs! That said, with the later kick-off and a truck load of alcohol, anything can happen. Me, I'll be sober, bloody exams! :mad:

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    They'll find me as I hunt for a ticket tomorrow afternoon! :eek: Oh, how i will suffer!

Heh, in all seriousness though, there's been the odd few on the Shels board recently, and they all seem to have decent heads ont heir shoulders (from what I can tell), and are more interested in the football than anything, as it should be. Afterall, tomorrow is a huge day for both clubs! That said, with the later kick-off and a truck load of alcohol, anything can happen. Me, I'll be sober, bloody exams! :mad:

Good point but most Rovers fans i know who post on net are nice know their stuff football liking people, odd i never met any at a game :)

Hopefully it will go off without incident so far the cup has even tho we all knew way back then when it was announced the possibility for trouble was there.

I would imagine a huge security presence and in a way its a good thing its Shels in the final rather than Cork fans.

kdjac

I thought I noticed something in a paper today about riot police and extra Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Nothing I have ever seen in going to Irish domestic and international games for over 15 years gives me the slightest piece of confidence that this occasion will be handled anything other than stupidly by the combined security authorities. Linfield are taking at least 1500. They [minority?] went nuts recently after losing to Glentoran, a team against which they hold no sectarian grudge (but obviously do hold a vicious city-rivalry grudge). How are we to expect them [minority?] to react in a city they consider hostile and up against a police force they hold no respect for? Add to this the fact that their buses will be leaving at 12 to catch the FA Cup final [in town, obviously], and, well, it should be very interesting. But there are riots and arrests every weekend up and down England; nothing should stop the Setanta Cup being a success, and hopefully this won't.

On the pitch, I expect a very, very tight game, probably 0-0 or 1-1 and extra time, or whatever applies. Linfield have to play tough against Shels; kick them, pick up a few early bookings, neuter their midfield, keep possession, and look to hurt Shels on the counter attack. Might sound savage but Shels are such a good side that this is the only thing that works against them; they don't like it up 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Linfield won 2-0. Byrne and Moore sent off!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Linfield 100% deserved to win that game! Well done. Both Shels players sent off for discent. They sure give new meaning to the term 'professional' footballers :rolleyes:

Only watching it on TV but Linfields traveling fans seemed to have turned out in large numbers and also made one hell of a racket all thru the match! Fair play to them .

Wheres all the Shels fans ????

kdjac

Just in the door. Both teams played poor, but the better of two poor teams won. Well done to them.

Could you hear the Linfield fans on the tv? During the minutes silence? Making sheep noises and laughing. :(

Who was the minute silence for? Shane Brennan?

Yeah.

Shels were rubbish, Fenlon got it badly wrong with his team selection and worse with his subs and we got what we deserved, nothing.

brutal match !!

crowd trouble too from the linfield nutcases

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1401181&issue_id=12514

I dont mind losing this final.. but if fenlon fúcks up again in Europe im going to tear my hair out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Was anyone at the game and saw crowd trouble..

Linfield deserved it but christ i was hoping shels would humiliate them..

Ahh well!! :mad:

Alan Moore = IDIOT.

Fair play to Linfield, congratulations to them.

• Advertisement

but if fenlon fúcks up again in Europe im going to tear my hair out

How do you mean again?

He got you lot further than anyone expected last season, and if he did simialr this season, you would be delighted Im sure.

I think he means the previous season where Shels were knocked out Hibernians of Malta in qualifying round1?

I meant , if Fenlon fúck ups again , but this time in Europe, I will be going mad.

Thing about Fenlon is, a very good manager but far far too cautious. Which is what hurts him in matches like this and ironically what made us so effective in Europe last season. Compared to Bohs of the past few seasons, who were able to blitz sides like Bate/Tallin the first time with an adventerous style of play and get a very good score but when came up against better teams it worked against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Fantastic result for the Eircom League, 2 bus loads of Linfield fans including Billy Hutchinson in Dalymount for some english match before the Setanta Cup Final great bunch of supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

why is it a fantastic result for the eircom league ?

might be a fantastic result for a bitter Bohs supporter jealous of Shelbournes success but for the Eircom League in general its a disappointing result.

• Advertisement

If Shels have a good season this year chances are itll turn into a one team league where shels have all the money and the best players, this match cost shels 80k and showed them to be bottlers, hopefully a first round exit in europe will follow and parity will be restored,

The further Shels get in Europe, the better co-efficient your lot will have if they manage to make it to Europe in the next 4 years seeing as you've just lost your own individual co-eff.

Makes very little difference, seeded or not the first round is usually an easy game ie Hibs of Malta :)

Id take Shels losing and watching Oily Byrne sweat over his gamble with the sale of Tolka money ahead of a a tiny rise in the leagues co-ef

bohsman wrote:
    Makes very little difference, seeded or not the first round is usually an easy game ie Hibs of Malta :)

Id take Shels losing and watching Oily Byrne sweat over his gamble with the sale of Tolka money ahead of a a tiny rise in the leagues co-ef
    Levadia Talin, you're havin' a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

bohsman wrote:
    seeded or not the first round is usually an easy game ie Hibs of Malta :)

Ha, you're havin a laugh mate! You're not exactly in a position to have a go at us over that now are you?

If you want to have a go, however, Ollie Byrne wants Rovers kicked out of the league because some of their 'fans' started trouble before the game on Saturday.

Will someone please tell this man to stay quiet?

For anyone interested, shels are releasing 3 dvds of the games in Europe vs Split, Depor and Lille to coincide with the CL Draw on June 24th. Getting one bohsman?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ha, you're havin a laugh mate! You're not exactly in a position to have a go at us over that now are you?
    You're very up yourselves these days for a team who have grand total of 2 wins in 26 European games over the past 10 years (even we have 4 wins in just 16 over the same period and you don't hear us crowing about it half as much!).

I know you think you're great right now because you got within 'just' 4 clear goals of qualifying for the champions league but lets get a little perspective here! You only won 1 single game out of 8 during that little 'run' and most of your results were only due to overly cautious football. You showed on Saturday what you were capable of when you needed to play a real game football, i.e. nothing.
    For anyone interested, shels are releasing 3 dvds of the games in Europe vs Split, Depor and Lille to coincide with the CL Draw on June 24th. Getting one bohsman?
    I don't know about Bohsman but I'd love to get my hands on those DVDs. Watching Shels lose 2-3, 0-3 and 0-2 to Split, Depor and Lille again and again sound like a real hoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Pigman II wrote:
    I don't know about Bohsman but I'd love to get my hands on those DVDs. Watching Shels lose 2-3, 0-3 and 0-2 to Split, Depor and Lille again and again sound like a real hoot.

Keep hoping, they're releasing the home legs only IIRC. So you should buy the DVDs to watch Shels win 2-0, draw 0-0 and draw 2-2 again and again.

Pigman II wrote:
    You're very up yourselves these days for a team who have grand total of 2 wins in 26 European games over the past 10 years (even we have 4 wins in just 16 over the same period and you don't hear us crowing about it half as much!).

No team in Ireland has won more European ties than Shels, individual matches count for **** all.
    I know you think you're great right now because you got within 'just' 4 clear goals of qualifying for the champions league but lets get a little perspective here! You only won 1 single game out of 8 during that little 'run' and most of your results were only due to overly cautious football. You showed on Saturday what you were capable of when you needed to play a real game football, i.e. nothing.

Like I said invidual matches count for **** all exscept in the eyes of bitter whinging opposition fans looking to have a go obviously.

Whens Tallin out on DVD?
    this match cost shels 80k and showed them to be bottlers, hopefully a first round exit in europe will follow and parity will be restored

This match EARNED Shels 80k and how the **** does loseing one match show us to be bottlers :D Oh the crazy bitter world of the BIG feeder club

Pigman II wrote:
    You're very up yourselves these days

Bohsman pointed out sarcastically that we lost in the first round to Hibs, I had a laugh because even more recently they lost fairly poorly (even Boh's fans will admit) to an Estonian team. And now I'm 'up myself'?

Seems as though all the followers of Cork, Pats and Bohs have to do these days is criticise us. Ah well.

Pigman II wrote:

I did a little bit of research, and found this:
    Pigman wrote:
    Bohs all the way! They are like men amongst boys in the Eircom League. They are so far ahead and their progress so prominent that I guarentee you that within 5 years they will be the first Irish side to make the Champions League Group Stages!

Link available here

Pigman (I or II, doesn't really matter), you sir, are a tool.

Slash/ED wrote:
    No team in Ireland has won more European ties than Shels, individual matches count for **** all.

Really? I make it 5-all between Bohs and Shels at present. Care to educate us all about the 6+ ties you've won for our own idle curiosity.

Just to be fair here's Bohs:
    1976-77 Esbjerg FB
    1978-78 Omonia (Nicosia)
    2000-01 Aberdeen
    2001-02 FC Levadia Maardu
    2003-04 BATE Barysau
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I did a little bit of research, and found this:
    Link available here
    You sir, are a tool.

And you sir have have a lot of time on your hands. Also there's still 3 years to go before that claim is proved wrong. And need I remind you that it is frowned upon to be MAKING PERSONAL INSULTS on this board?

So saying I'm up myself is not a personal insult? (And by quoting me that is what you implied).

Anyway, I am not going to lower myself any longer, conversation over.

Plus, I fully expect us to do our talking on the pitch on Friday.

some of the stuff being posted here is laughable. Bohs et all are living off Shels. Shams are a mess and should be done for rioting.

No other club has ever been as sucessful as Shels in Europe but that doesnt stop 1/2 of these posts. Another good run for Shels would be to beat the 2nd round opposition. Pity Bohs could never manage that ;)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So saying I'm up myself is not a personal insult? (And by quoting me that is what you implied).

I didn't imply anything. "you're" is in reference to Shels supporters in general.

If I meant "you personally" I would have said "You're very up yourselves these days FOR A GUY WHO SUPPORTS a team that...." or something similar along those lines.

Besides are you honestly telling me that calling someone 'up themselves' (which I never said in a personal context anyway) is even close to the level of calling someone a 'tool' (which you clearly did post in reference to myself).

Pigman II wrote:
    Really? I make it 5-all between Bohs and Shels at present. Care to educate us all about the 6+ ties you've won for our own idle curiosity.

Just to be fair here's Bohs:
    1976-77 Esbjerg FB
    1978-78 Omonia (Nicosia)
    2000-01 Aberdeen
    2001-02 FC Levadia Maardu
    2003-04 BATE Barysau

I'd rather educate you on the meaning of the statement "No team in Ireland has won more European ties than Shels". Look it up, get a dictionary, ask someone if you have to.
    And you sir have have a lot of time on your hands. Also there's still 3 years to go before that claim is proved wrong. And need I remind you that it is frowned upon to be MAKING PERSONAL INSULTS on this board?

So are you still confident it'll come true? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement