Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP Bandwith

Options
  • 17-05-2005 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

I am now using Blueface with NTL BB MAX. Does anyone know how much bandwith a call would take up? 5 Min call let's say. IF you know upstream and down stream that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

According to this link the G711 codec uses approximately 87.2kbps - including 64kbps for the actual voice encoding and the rest is made up of various protocol headers. It also says that on average there is a 35% saving becasue of short silent periods during most calls. If only one person is talking at a time I'm going to assume that this bandwidth includes both uploaded and downloaded data (one side will be silent - correct me if I'm wrong).

So for your 5 minute call I work that out as: 87.2 * (1 - 0.35) * 60 * 5 / 8 = 2125 kB - say 2.1MB

I work that out as nearly 50 days solid on the phone to use up you monthly NTL 30GB cap - a physical impossibility :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

i dont get that if you say its 2.1MB for 5 mins how would it take 50 days to use 30 megs?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

zap wrote:
    i dont get that if you say its 2.1MB for 5 mins how would it take 50 days to use 30 megs?
    2.1 megs for 5 minuters is about 0.42 MB per minute.

Cap is 30GB (not MB) so the number of minutes to comsume the 30GB is 30 * 1024 / 0.42 = 73,143 minutes - about 50 days.

Alles klar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

sry wasn't thinking cap is 30 gigs not megs

Advertisement