Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap upload speed on NTL 2Mbps package

• 17-05-2005 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I have recently been upgraded to the NTL 2Mbps/200kbps package. My download speed is close enough to 2Mbps, but the upload speed is nowhere near 200kbps - usually under 130kbps. NTL support haven't been much use - they said that speed testing sites are unrelaiable! What? All of them? All the time?

Here's a screenshot from IrishISPTest.com.
    IrishISPTest.gif

I have also tested using the ADSL Guide Speed Test.

Can other NTL 2Mbps/200kbps users test their speeds to see if anyone is getting anywhere near 200kbps?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

capistrano wrote:
    NTL support haven't been much use - they said that speed testing sites are unrelaiable! What? All of them? All the time?

I hate those kind of deadend answers, instead of trying to find out what's the problem, they just try to get rid of you faster.

you download speeds are ok, but I've seen here people getting like 1.98meg so must be your cable/distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Have you checked your upload speed on your modem to be sure.

admin
    admin

or

root
    root

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I'm on the 2mb line aswell, but I get these sort of readings from the speed test....
    Ima.jpg

I do get 200kbs download speeds, but I cant get any decent connection to bit torrent for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

^^^^^^^^Hey bus77 - I really like your upload speed: 50.6Mbps :eek:

Capistrano:
    My ntl:2Mbps/200kbps is 1.96Mbps/193kbps @ this time

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

bus77 wrote:
    I'm on the 2mb line aswell, but I get these sort of readings from the speed test....
    Ima.jpg

I do get 200kbs download speeds, but I cant get any decent connection to bit torrent for some reason :confused:

standard bittorrent ports blocked by ntl? or on your route? just download azureus and change the port numbers to something else. beware though the media companies are focussing on ireland now. i think its all shifting to super anon newsgroups now or soon will......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Infini wrote:
    Have you checked your upload speed on your modem to be sure.
    Yeah, the modem config does say the maximum upload speed is 200000. But all my tests show in and around 130k.
    causal wrote:
    Capistrano:
    My ntl:2Mbps/200kbps is 1.96Mbps/193kbps @ this time
    Hmmm. That's nice. So it's just me then - not a global problem with their 2M package. That means it'll be a b**ch to get sorted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I'm on the 3Mbit service and i get 340K downstream and 30K up!
    No problems here :)

I love you NTL.

Oops! I made a boo-boo!

In the QoS settings on my modem I manually entered the upload speed as 128kbps (someone recommended this rather than allowing Auto detection). But when the upgrade happenned I forgot to change it. I have now put it onto Auto detection of upload speed and all is grand.

I'm sorry NTL.

IrishISPTest2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

capistrano wrote:
    Oops! I made a boo-boo!

In the QoS settings on my modem I manually entered the upload speed as 128kbps (someone recommended this rather than allowing Auto detection). But when the upgrade happenned I forgot to change it. I have now put it onto Auto detection of upload speed and all is grand.

I'm sorry NTL.

IrishISPTest2.gif

Boooooooooo!!! Go stand in the corner and hang your head in shame :)

In fairness, easy mistake and they are doing a lot of upgrade work...

capistrano wrote:
    Oops! I made a boo-boo!

I'm sorry NTL.
    You know the way we always share our stories of CSRs getting it totally wrong - well this is one story the CSRs can tell each other about the customer getting it wrong. LOL, nice one capistrano :D

causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ac00785

How do you change the modem setting regarding QoS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Diabolus wrote:
    I'm on the 3Mbit service and i get 340K downstream and 30K up!
    No problems here :)

I love you NTL.

stop rubbing it in :mad:

ac00785 wrote:
    That'll depend on the router you have - and possibly the firmware installed on it.

I have a Linksys WRT54G and I had to download firmware v3.03.6 to get the QoS functionality. If you're still with me, you access the QoS settings from Applications & Gaming -> QoS.

ac00785 wrote:
    He meant Gateway/Router; as opposed to modem.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

WOw just got back from holidays to find out i have a 3mb line
    Wooo Hoooo :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

DingDong wrote:
    WOw just got back from holidays to find out i have a 3mb line
    Wooo Hoooo :eek:

Curious do you notice the speed bump?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Curious do you notice the speed bump?

Well I did, the first couple of times I downloaded something off the internet, I thought it had failed because it downloaded so fast, I had to check if the files were corrupt (they weren't) :)

I haven't noticed any difference when surfing the web. I have noticed a slight difference in VNC and Samba due to the higher upload speed.

Advertisement