Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Driving Test

Options
  • 17-05-2005 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I've been waiting 1 month for my Irish driving test, and have 7 more to go going by the dates on drivingtest.ie

In cases of inefficienies/problems in Irish systems it is common to go to the UK (eg PSNI/joining the army/having complicated surgery) would it make sense to do a UK driving test (ie Northern Ireland)

It would mean doing a
    UK theory test
    Getting a UK provisional
    Renting a UK reg car for the test

But if this costs less than EUR 850 I'd consider it.

has anyone looked into this? any opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I have looked into it
    -it would mean that you would need to practice for a totally different test
    -the rental car would not work, they need to be a car registered in your name, and with a full licence and most need over 21s
    -the uk provisional licence needs a uk address last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most rental companies have a policy of not renting cars to people without a full license, some you are required to have one for a minimum of two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

...what about a driving school car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

The trouble still lies in the fact of getting a UK licence (I'm not sure if you need one as according to EU law a licence is = in all eu member states make a few calls to the UK test centre people), and also learning all the things they test, emergency breaking, parking, all of which is not on the irish course. Therefore there is a lot to do. I would advise waiting for your test here and go for broke in the mean time getting all the practive you can, also the UK tests are in general of a harder standard to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Doing the test over in the UK sounds like and excellent idea, stupid question, but can you convert a UK license to and Irish one?. Think the points regarding the UK test being 'harder' are a bit scary.. there are people out there recommending you to find the easiest test possible so you will end up being the worst possible driver? (personally i think the standard of driving is much higher in the UK than here)

I am sure there are people in the Uk that have to do the test who do not own cars, i would imagine a quick visit to www.yell.co.uk and a phone call to a helpful UK driving school would sort out a lot of the finer details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

edmund_f wrote:
    Doing the test over in the UK sounds like and excellent idea, stupid question, but can you convert a UK license to and Irish one?. Think the points regarding the UK test being 'harder' are a bit scary.. there are people out there recommending you to find the easiest test possible so you will end up being the worst possible driver? (personally i think the standard of driving is much higher in the UK than here)

I am sure there are people in the Uk that have to do the test who do not own cars, i would imagine a quick visit to www.yell.co.uk and a phone call to a helpful UK driving school would sort out a lot of the finer details?
    Of course you can exchange the UK full licence straight away for an Irish one. You will also get a full EB and C1 free as the UK licence is the equiv to these, no trailer test in the UK.

Sure you can use a driving school motor, so long as its taxed insured and MOT'd, the only requirement that it be UK reg naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely you need to be resident in the UK, i.e. living permanently, working and paying taxes there, to get a UK driving licence not merely "have an address" there, whatever the f*** that may mean. Just having a relative somewhere, or knowing someone there who doesn't mind you sleeping on their floor, doesn't make you resident there.

funny, as i do remember a few years ago a number of german friends of mine who came over for a few weeks to to the test here as the irish test was so easy (and cheap) compared with the german test. I would imagine that if they can come over here and then transfer the licence back we should be able to do the same from any european country including the UK?.

If this is true i can see a lot of people applying for the test up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Can you not just get a letter from work and get the test moved forward!?

From the DVLA website ....

8. How to apply for a provisional driving licence

If you are required to pass a GB driving test in order to gain a full British licence you must first apply for a provisional driving licence. To do this you should complete an application form D1 (previously D750), available from Post Office® branches, and return it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD with the correct fee.

Once you are in possession of the valid provisional licence, you must comply with the conditions applicable to provisional licence holders. These are printed on the back of the licence itself. You may not take a test unless you are resident in this country. Once you have passed both theory and practical parts of the driving test, you may then apply for your full licence.

• Advertisement

like they are really going to check.. easy enough to get a mobile phone bill in your name for a month or whatever to prove resediency?. Either way it would be an option for people who are thinking of coming to live here, or have very close links with the UK, i.e. spend a number of months per year there.

Still think it is an excellent idea, know a few people on wating lists who may benifit from it. If it did work it would reduce the wating lists over here?

I've no idea how they would check, if they check at all, but if it's a legal requirement that you're resident in the UK to take a test there, and you're not, then it's still illegal. Having "close links" with the UK doesn't count.

Anyway, if it's that easy, why isn't everyone doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I bet ppl in the border counties do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

tk123 wrote:
    Can you not just get a letter from work and get the test moved forward!?

Completly agree with you tk123.

It really speads things up.
    I applied for mine with a letter in Jan and got the test at the end of feb

Friend from tipp sent a letter in and got it within a Week!

Another Friend from tallaght sent a letter in and got it in a month.

If you dont work, then make up a company letter and send it in. You will get a cancellation date, and about a month to brush up on skills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Norinoco wrote:
    If you dont work, then make up a company letter and send it in. You will get a cancellation date, and about a month to brush up on skills

the letter is supposed to have the employers PPS number on it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I did my test in the UK and to say its harder probably ain't true. It was grand - much more professional and considering you select your date you want online while applying you have a much better idea of how much to practice and prepare. Plus roads and signage is A LOT better over there. No hidden and crazy speed limits, clear road markings, just damn better roads. Plus much less rumours of the testers having to fail x% a day to meet guidlines - all the rumours here of you've failed before you've pulled off if they are behind on their failure targets - also fewer rumours of failing people to increase re-tests and hence revenue.

In fact insurance companies have begun to ask where you passed yoru test - I expect to be loaded for not doing it in Ireland because of our stricter testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My uncle went to college in Coleraine and did the UK driving test, got a UK licence and converted it to an Irish one a week or two later. He was able to do his test at 17 and so ended up with a full Irish licence at 17. That was a few years ago though. he wasn't resident there, he was in digs for maybe 4 nights a week and he used an instructors car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

In fact insurance companies have begun to ask where you passed yoru test - I expect to be loaded for not doing it in Ireland because of our stricter testing.
    Don't know about whether it makes a difference for full insurance, but when i was being added as a named driver on the missus' car it was €200 cheaper because I had a UK licence as compared to an Irish one (she'd assumed I had an irish one). That was pre-penalty points though...

Advertisement