Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Setting up Wireless Network with NTL

• 18-05-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Right for the last 3 days i've been trying to setup a wireless connection in the house with my NTL broadband connection but i'm just getting nowhere.

I'm trying to connect a desktop pc and a laptop to a wireless access point. NTL cable modem is connected to the wireless router. I first tried a Dell 4350 Access Point. If i leave the TCPIP properties to obtain an IP address automatically on both machines, they connect to the access point but i get warnings that there is limited or no network activity, packets are sent but no packets are received. If i give both machines an IP address in the same range as the access point, no errors are reported but neither machine is able to connect to the internet. I've set up both machines to connect through a gateway in the network options. (I've also tried using the connecting directly to the internet option)

I thought it might be the Dell access point so I tried the exact same setup with a Linksys WAP54G Access Point but the exact same problems are happening.

There is no problem with the the wireless cards in the desktop or laptop because they are able to connect in adhoc mode so i'm currently using ICS to connect to the cable modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Any ideas or would i be better off posting this in the wireless forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Probably best in nets/comms.

You should connect your cable modem to the wireless router and that's all. Are you mixing up access point with a router? It's not very clear from your description. For what it's worth I've a similar set up to you so it is possible. I have a Belkin wireless cable router with the NTL modem plugged into the WAN port. The computer and laptop used to connect wirelessly but now the desktop is wired. No access points are needed. Probably best to try and get your wireless network sorted out first before going near the broadband. Ping the machines, etc.

One thing to be careful of with the NTL modem is that it locks into the first MAC it sees on its ethernet port. So if you plug in your laptop and then swap over to your router, the NTL modem won't talk to it. You need to power down/power up the NTL modem with each cable switch so the modem sees the new MAC address properly.

Doh, I bought the wrong fecking products. Should have bought wireless router. Off to the for sale forum hanging my head in shame to sell these 2 access points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So you don't waste anymore money, a good list of the gear that you can get is:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

In your case you should be looking at the Wireless Cable Routers.

Basically any wireless router that has a WAN port. Make sure not to get one with a DSL or cable modem builtin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mcobrien

If you're in the market, the Linksys routers are particularly good:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WRT54G

• Advertisement

Cheers for the suggestions lads, wish i had of looked here first originally :)

Advertisement