Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know if an MP3 can be set as a ringtone on a Nokia 6630?

Options
  • 18-05-2005 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I know it plays MP3's but it is unable to set them as ringtones as the 'file format is not supported'.

Comments

Vodafone blocked this in their Nokia 6630s to try to make you get them from Vodafone Live. It will accept AAC files but not MP3s.

One of the reasons why I got rid of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Karsini wrote:
    It will accept AAC files but not MP3s.
    Ain't tried it... but this might be helpful if this is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Speak to wolfman he can remove the vodafone software and replace it with Nokia oem software and it will play mp3's as ringtones.
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What happens if you bring it to a Nokia service centre and ask for a firmware upgrade, do they stick on Voda junk again or an OEM version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

is this the same with the nokia 6230i??? If i buy the sim free version can i play MP3's as ring tones????

• Advertisement

@Blaster99: if you are lucky they may but usually just put the vodafone software on if thats what you had.
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Nokia Service Centres should flash for free if the phone is still under warranty, but some of them can be sticky about whether they will do an unbranded Nokia flash on a Vodafone handset, but its worth asking them as it will be free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

wolfman wrote:
    Nokia Service Centres should flash for free if the phone is still under warranty, but some of them can be sticky about whether they will do an unbranded Nokia flash on a Vodafone handset, but its worth asking them as it will be free

They are only obliged to flash it for free if there is a fault on the phone, so it doesn't hurt to have a fault description ready.

With the 6630 just tell them the it keeps losing signal but they almost never put on clean nokia software they are very picky over things like that i reckon wolfman would be your best bet plus from memory of a previous thread his firmware update was more recent than the service centre, i got
    V 3.45.113
    04-01-05
    RM-1
    From the Nokia Service Centre on Dawson Street
    Pete

@peterk19

Thanks for the recommendation pete. Yes, you're correct. I have a newer version than that, BUT, the big problem is, its only available in a few language packs at the moment and they are all Vodafone!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

VF Germany
    VF NL
    VF Spain

:(
    <EDIT>although i can do the version which you got and this will take away branding, enable mp3 ringtones and also enable you to select between GSM network only, or both(GSM/3G). Puts an end to the problems with losing reception when on the verge of a 3G signal or if you want to use Ready to Go</EDIT>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

If you use itunes to convert the mp3 to mp4 it will play on the 6630

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wolfman wrote:
    @peterk19

Thanks for the recommendation pete. Yes, you're correct. I have a newer version than that, BUT, the big problem is, its only available in a few language packs at the moment and they are all Vodafone!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

VF Germany
    VF NL
    VF Spain

:(
    <EDIT>although i can do the version which you got and this will take away branding, enable mp3 ringtones and also enable you to select between GSM network only, or both(GSM/3G). Puts an end to the problems with losing reception when on the verge of a 3G signal or if you want to use Ready to Go</EDIT>

is this possbile with a nokia 6600
    i downloaded a mp3 player for it of the internet (ultra-mp3)
    but it says file format not supported or something like that

are you sure you are trying mp3 songs with it? not other formats?
    this problem doesnt lie witht he phone itself, it is down to wrong format or problem with ultramp3 program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

With the 6600 I've got, MP3's cannot be used as ringtones.
    It you've got sufficient storage space, on your MMC say, you can convert to low resolution MS Wav and use this.

(If you hear 5 minutes of voodoo child through a crappy speaker, it's probably me, 2.5 megs)

UltraMP3 does work though on proper mp3s.

Advertisement