Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Mailing List Function and Hosting?

Options
  • 18-05-2005 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been asked to put together a site for a promotion. It will be a single page, very simple.

The problem is as follows:

I need the page to contain a form field where users can submit their email addresses to be automatically added to a mailing list.

What would I use for this auto mailing list function? could a script do it?

And also, what kind of hosting package would I need? Would basic packages from hosting 365 or blacknight etc allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

Duffman wrote:
    Hi,

I've been asked to put together a site for a promotion. It will be a single page, very simple.

The problem is as follows:

I need the page to contain a form field where users can submit their email addresses to be automatically added to a mailing list.

What would I use for this auto mailing list function? could a script do it?

And also, what kind of hosting package would I need? Would basic packages from hosting 365 or blacknight etc allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help :)

Ya you need a serverside scripting language like PHP or ASP
    You also need a database to write the emails to ..... (although you could write the addresses to a flat file also)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ya you need a serverside scripting language like PHP or ASP
    You also need a database to write the emails to ..... (although you could write the addresses to a flat file also)
    Aye, a flat file may be easier, unless you wish to store more than an email address (such as whether they've confirmed the address, date the last mail was sent out). These details too could also be stored in a flat file, but as you accumulate more addresses, the task of managing these details becomes more difficult and time-consuming for your script.

You also run the risk that if somehow your flat file becomes published on the web, your subscribers get spammed and your credibility goes down the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How about using Bravenet.com mailing list service?
    I had it on my site and it worked fine (but no one signed up).
    I have a Bravenet counter. There is no ad displayed, just the counter and a little link back to Bravenet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Thanks for the replies.

I stumbled across PHPlist. It seems to offer the functions I had in mind. The PHP/SQL option might be more flexible than using a flat file.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ideally you would want something like this www.jaded-sun.com/newsletter/ (runs on PHP) has a whole admin section for adding/deleting users and sending emails to subscribers and users have to click on a link to verify the address so no dud email addresses

cant remember the name of the script im running but have a look at the source code and the name should be in there, hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Duffman wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

I stumbled across PHPlist. It seems to offer the functions I had in mind. The PHP/SQL option might be more flexible than using a flat file.

PHPList is very functional. Some of our clients are using it to manage very large and complex lists and are very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I would agree with Mr Blacknight, we have PHPlist as a preinstalled script and our clients love it and find it very easy to use.

Advertisement