Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a small swimming pool advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I was at a garden centre at the weekend. I saw a number of filters for fishponds, assorted by the amount of water in the pond (gallons). I saw one that filters 2000 gallons of water for 250-300 approx. Would that do the same job as a 'swimming pool' filter? I think my Dad has sourced a very powerful pump also. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A bar around the pool is a must, as is a ring-buoy.

Also, pop into your local swimming pool, and get a few pointers on safety issue's, etc.

Why? So if a neighbour hurts themselves through their own stupidty, you can cover your ass from a big lawsuit.

=-=

Don't think you need a ring-buoy? Remember this: I could drown you in 5 (or is it 3) inches of water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Hi,
    Canopy/decent cover really important re leaves/insects

Waterproof seal- special fibre glass coating done by a pro

If i had the money I'd go for a hot tub :D - much easier, sturdy and hot water no matter what the weather and guaranteed to impress

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Some good advice would be to insulate it first, whatever method you're using... It'll prevent any heat that IS in the water from escaping into the ground.

I know of a guy with a similar diy built (no insulation seperating ground), was indoors though and heated.

He found that even with the boiler running full blast it was far too cold! Eventually he just decided to abandon it and capped it with a wooden floor!!

Do plenty of research and good luck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Slightly off topic but:-
    I've seen a hot tub made from polystyrene. It was contoured, coated with a cement based render and mesh then covered in mosaic tiles. I would imagine that it would have a great insulation value and was light weight, so no need for heavy duty foundations.
    l will post the link if l can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Just a bit of an update on the progress of the pool.
    The shed and walls in the pics are now built. We dug out the foundation for the pool. Dad bought some steel (mesh) to reinforce the bottom. He is going to pour roughly 7 inches of a concrete floor. I will take a few pics later just to give you all an idea of it.

I have been doing a bit of research on pool covers.

Solar/Floating Covers:These covers are the least-expensive type and are often the best choice for consumers concerned with reducing energy costs. In some areas, solar covers, which typically have a bubble-like surface on one side, will virtually eliminate the need to heat pools during the regular swim season. The covers keep larger debris out of the pool, reduce evaporation and protect plaster, vinyl liners and above-the waterline pool parts when the pool is not in use. These covers, however, offer little or no safety protection and can be difficult to handle or store. Some of these covers can be held down with weights placed on the deck, but they are not considered securely anchored for safety purposes.

Where could I get one of these locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thierrys other hand

hi! did you go through with the pool? fairplay if ye did.

Advertisement