Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Roads

Options
  • 18-05-2005 5:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Does the Road Traffic Act apply to Private roads such as Industrial estates? Just wondering, can those stupid 30km/h limits be enforced? Does one need tax and insurance on an industrial estate private type road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

I did not think Industrial estates were private roads?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Some have private roads some don't,
    E.G alot of the older IDA estates have private roads, but the more modern ones have public roads, like ParkWest and CityWest.

If the road is private, then there is no requirement for tax/insurance/nct/driving license etc.
    As for speeding, it can't be enforced by law, but the owners can ban you from entering their private land, or report you for trespassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

prospect wrote:
    E.G alot of the older IDA estates have private roads, but the more modern ones have public roads, like ParkWest and CityWest.

If the road is private, then there is no requirement for tax/insurance/nct/driving license etc.
    As for speeding, it can't be enforced by law, but the owners can ban you from entering their private land, or report you for trespassing.
    Thanks for that. So i can take it that a person cannot be done for dangerous driving if on a private road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I would imagine if it was dangerous enough - they could get you on some other law - threatening behavior,endangering life or even attempted murde rif very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

prospect wrote:

don't you need insurance to drive in any public place ?

(as in anywhere open to the public)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If the road is private, then no.
    Do you need insurance to drive on your driveway?

Bear in mind, the road could be a public right-of-way on private land, in which case all the road laws apply.

In short, I wouldn't bother chancing driving anywhere without insurance. Having said that, the few times i have had the pleasure in teaching others to drive (i mean literally their first time behind the wheel), I go to an industrial estate in Naas on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Bond-007 wrote:
    So i can take it that a person cannot be done for dangerous driving if on a private road?

what are you planning to do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

ando wrote:
    thats what i wondering to...

ando wrote:
    LOL! :D

Nothing actually, there was an altercation between 2 motorists where one accused the other of Dangerous driving. He just laughed at her and said "this is a private road, the cops won't do anything" She replied "Screw you I will call the gards anyway".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

prospect wrote:
    Having said that, the few times i have had the pleasure in teaching others to drive (i mean literally their first time behind the wheel), I go to an industrial estate in Naas on a Sunday.

I remember driving down there when I was learning. It's a good spot for a beginner to practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 unknownguest

Bond-007 wrote:
    LOL! :D

Nothing actually, there was an altercation between 2 motorists where one accused the other of Dangerous driving. He just laughed at her and said "this is a private road, the cops won't do anything" She replied "Screw you I will call the gards anyway".

So did she screw him or what? This is like a soap:D

I dunno, but it was very funny watching them slagging each other off! :D

Advertisement