Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All New Limited Edition Choose your Martial Art Poll

• 18-05-2005 8:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

After the snubbing that BJJ and MMA got in that last one I figured it was time for a renaissance.

What Martial Art do you train in?/Are you planning on training in? 45 votes

MMA/BJJ
    0% 0 votes
    Karate
    31% 14 votes
    Judo
    8% 4 votes
    Traditional JJ/ Aikido
    8% 4 votes
    Chinese Martial Arts
    6% 3 votes
    Filipino Martial Arts/Indonesian Martial Arts
    4% 2 votes
    Krav Maga/Combatatives
    4% 2 votes
    Tae Kwon Do
    11% 5 votes
    Kickboxing (Full Contact or Otherwise)
    17% 8 votes
    Muay Thai
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

What with the rebellion? "Down with this sorta thing Ted"!

Hard to keep everyone happy, I say, hard to keep everyone happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tru

memphis wrote:

Hard to keep everyone happy, I say, hard to keep everyone happy!

Memphis aka Fred Elliott!!! :D

R!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I want multiple choices!!!!!

Not that I have multiple answers or anything... But god damnit I want the choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I feel so left out :( As least the other one had Ninjutsu - well it had "ninja", but I presume that was meant to be Ninjutsu! How are the finals treating ya Colum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Well I figured that Bujinkan Budo Taijitsu should be considered a classical jitsu system as Hatsume Masuke (sp?) said before that he didnt like it being called ninjitsu.

Finals are grand. Finished on Saturday. Just have structural design left. Horrible. How are you getting on?
    Memphis aka Fred Elliott!!!
    Lol Ruth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I just presumed the option for ninjas was invisible ;)

and shouldnt that be he doesnt like it being called ninjutsu anymore? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

interesting the amalgamation of BJJ and MMA. interesting.

btw can you choose more than one thing to a/c for the greedy trainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

In this poll as it is just a one choice option. I have picked Karate as TKD is really just bastardised Shotokan, and I have begun looking more at the movements of Okinawan Karate and Shotokan to fully understand the forms in TKD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

columok wrote:
    Well I figured that Bujinkan Budo Taijitsu should be considered a classical jitsu system as Hatsume Masuke (sp?) said before that he didnt like it being called ninjitsu.

Interesting - I think I prefere the invisible explanation though!

Oh exams are grand - 5 down, 5 to go and then I'm finished for ever and ever and...well you get the picture! Got maths on Friday which will hopefully just require the usual learning off of previous years answers to pass. Can't wait to get back to training, I've been going mad the past few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

agh I don't know which to tick.....I supposedly do ju jitsu but that's all i know about it.

oh maybe i'll just go karate i went to that once and intend to go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

You should have made the poll so you can see who does what.
    Colm, can you change it? Will it remember who voted for what though...

Haha

My poll is better, my poll is better. Nah nah nah nah.

I have multiple choice and I can see who has choice what.

I rule!!!

Ah but the snub against 32.14% of the boards community not to mention the poor old thai-boxers and FMA peeps. For shame, for shame!

What's with MMA and the internet. It should be called MMA&TI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I went for TKD but I wanted to pick BJJ, not that I get to do that much anymore.
    I hereby assert that Colum's poll is prejudiced against omni-trainers like myself. If I want to be a Martial Arts Swiss Army Knife, then I should be given an option!

Ah but surely if you train TKD for fun/other reasons yet train BJJ/MMA to round yourself into an effective killing machine then you are an MMA person. Eh???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

columok wrote:
    Ah but surely if you train TKD for fun/other reasons yet train BJJ/MMA to round yourself into an effective killing machine then you are an MMA person. Eh???

Why?

Also, this poll is clearly biased against MMA people who don't train in a bjj club! :eek: :D

I watched bloodsport last night. That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I feel I need to tell somebody.

I watched Rocky 2! On that note, I watched Rocky 3 aka UFC 0 a few weeks ago. Classic striker vs grappler match at the start of that. Hulk Hogan vs. Balboa.
    Yeah, see I reckon TKD is already making me part of that well rounded killing machine, but that's another argument. MMA would seem to me to imply that I train at an MMA gym, which I don't, so I'm going to say that I train in A Mix Of Martial Arts, or A.M.O.M.A.

So come on Colum, where's the AMOMA option in your poll?

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    I watched bloodsport last night. That has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I feel I need to tell somebody.

Here's your hero in full flight!!

http://www.sicktracks.com/galleries/data/500/580damme20dance.jpg

Some of the best moves in the moive :D

pma-ire wrote:
    Here's your hero in full flight!!

http://www.sicktracks.com/galleries/data/500/580damme20dance.jpg

Some of the best moves in the moive :D

580damme20dance.jpg
    Boy is he ever so cool! Look at those rad dances moves. Kumite champion and dance champion. So diverse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

This poll blows!

This poll blows!
    How can you say that? It's got Jean Claude shaking it and it's clear Colum spent at least 30 seconds coming up with the categories. :D

The fight scene in the pub as a result of that dance is class, considering that he'd down nearly a full bottle of rum, or whatever.

memphis wrote:
    The fight scene in the pub as a result of that dance is class, considering that he'd down nearly a full bottle of rum, or whatever.
    I thought it was class when I was 16 the first time I saw it :p

pma-ire wrote:
    I thought it was class when I was 16 the first time I saw it :p
    Likewise, though I was slightly younger than you the first time I say it.... old man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭EPO_MAN

I do object to Traditional jujutsu being lumped with aikido. I'm actually classical jujustu (but that's a whole can of rotten worms that I ain't opening)
    What about my poor gung fu.......no votefor it due to lack of multi-choice.
    BOO

EPO_MAN wrote:
    I do object to Traditional jujutsu being lumped with aikido. I'm actually classical jujustu (but that's a whole can of rotten worms that I ain't opening)
    What about my poor gung fu.......no votefor it due to lack of multi-choice.
    BOO
    haha.

Here we go again! My poll appears to be fairer in many ways, had a Kung Fu option if I recall. Was mulitiple choice, and ya could see what others choose.

I RULE!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Hmm Colum man, ya shoulda put multiple choice up!

I train in JJ and Judo while in Ireland
    Over here in Spain I have been training in Muay Thai.
    When i return home I plan to look at MMA and Muay Thai.
    Of course I will be continuing with JJ and the Judo(Judo in college).

Advertisement