Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rifle Identification - Help

Options
  • 18-05-2005 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to help here?
    All I know the maker was A. Francotte of Liege in Belgium?
    Would love to know the Model and age..

It anyone can help ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Apparently made by Auguste Francotte,

Some info ... Here

Sorry can't be more help..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It has a percussion lock.

Can't tell you much else though, Belgian gunmakers in the 19th century were fairly hectic, turning out tonnes of inexpensive firearms, a quick google search didn't bring up anything similar

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭baggins

I cant say i know a lot about it, but it looks like an advanced model of one of the Francotte company's mousquet (musket), but i really cant place it. Have you asked a gunsmith??? Seems like a rare one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

cant help you with the ID but if you want percussion caps i have afew!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Not meaning to knock (it is a lovely piece) but it looks a bit bland for a true Francotte, the small Belgian gunmakers in the 19th Century were divils for ripping off designs and name's of known gunmakers and exporting them, but if it is indeed a genuine Francotte it's got to be well insured. If it's any help the lock is english type (the main spring being forward of the hammer instead of the continental habit of it being behind). could you describe the proof marks? Could get an indication of age from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Not meaning to knock (it is a lovely piece) but it looks a bit bland for a true Francotte, the small Belgian gunmakers in the 19th Century were divils for ripping off designs and name's of known gunmakers and exporting them, but if it is indeed a genuine Francotte it's got to be well insured. If it's any help the lock is english type (the main spring being forward of the hammer instead of the continental habit of it being behind). could you describe the proof marks? Could get an indication of age from them.

As soon as I can, Thanks

Advertisement