Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Shooting Rifle specification

Options
  • 18-05-2005 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to put together a rifle for target shooting up to a max of 600 yds.
    Most of my shooting will probably be in the 200-400 range.
    I will probably use for a mix of F-class and Benchrest (and anything else that I can try!)
    I had a discussion with John Greene last night - he is starting up a custom/gunsmith business in Waterford.
    He is recommending picking up a s/hand remington .17 Centrefire (remember them?) and he can accurise,
    fit a new barrell, and get it proofed for a min ~ €1200 (depending on calibre, how much work you want done etc).
    He is very knowledgable on the subject.
    I am thinking of .223 cal, 1 in 8 or 9 twist using a 69 grain.
    He can do pretty much any cal you want including wildcats but the .223 looks good to me for ammo availability and accuracy potential.
    (He can also work on your existing rifle, bedding, accurising, etc in case anyone is interested)
    Does this sound like a good way to go for what I am after?
    Is the .223 a good choice ?
    Any other thoughts/ideas/recommendations?
    Dave

Advertisement