Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starbucks

• 18-05-2005 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

does anyone know when and where the new starbucks coming to dublin is going to be?? about time we got one of these places.... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

It was rumoured to be the corner site at Foster Place on College Green. But there's still a big "TO LET" banner hanging outside, so I don't know what the story is.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other (and IMO, superior) coffee houses to choose from. If you need the "American Chain Store" experience, theres a Barnies on Westmoreland St where Beshoff's was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thanks for that......its not so much the "american experience" but a good choice of drinks that they have on offer.....especially their frappuccino's that are to die for and there lovely surroundings of comfy chairs to relax in whilehaving your drink....i cant say that i have ever found anything in this country on par with them.....a lot of places here seems so overpriced with no customer service and bad surroundings! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sarsfield wrote:
    In the meantime, there are plenty of other (and IMO, superior) coffee houses to choose from.

Yes, but do they server Low Fat Cinamon Swirls with their coffee? I think not. :D

lol, thats funny! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

starbucks is definitely overcommercialized but they do have some awesome teas (and they pay realllly well if you get a job there). Personally, i *love* their Chai Tea Latte.

• Advertisement

I have to say I love Starbucks.

But, and it is a big but, since I got my own capppucino/espresso maker, I now make my own (and damn good coffee it is too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

...it ain't all that...

Some much better cafes around. When I lived in America I much prefered Dunkin Donuts coffees and hot chocolates! :)

No, no, no. Krispy Kreme doughnuts were much nicer.

Legend has it that some police force in the US wanted doughnuts so bad, they sent the police helicopter to Krispy Kreme. Allegedly they landed in the car park, picked up the doughnuts and flew back to the station.

Just realised it is Saturday morning. I used to go to Starbucks almost every Saturday morning when I was living in the US. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They have some nice stuff there like the apple cider, hope they have it when it comes to Ireland... Anyone working in Microsoft know? There is one there already...

Anyway for coffee though.. maybe it will be better here but every American i know much prefers European coffee as US coffee sucks. So i send coffee over all the time to inlaws etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

there is 3 due to open in rathmines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

there is 3 due to open in rathmines

3? Thats a lot. The invasion is about to start! They'll be absolutely everywhere soon enough.

good, i cant wait :)

David19 wrote:
    3? Thats a lot. The invasion is about to start! They'll be absolutely everywhere soon enough.

well thats what they do, open loads of them to start, sell cheap, which drives all other coffees shops in the area out of business. there was an article about them in the irish times awhile ago very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

well thats what they do, open loads of them to start, sell cheap, which drives all other coffees shops in the area out of business. there was an article about them in the irish times awhile ago very interesting
    Yeah. They will fill an area with as many starbucks as possible. You know they're getting desperate when they open a new starbucks in the toilet of another starbucks tho..

well i dont mind as long as there is decent coffee etc...nothing wrong with a bit of competition, something this country needs.

well thats what they do, open loads of them to start, sell cheap, which drives all other coffees shops in the area out of business.

But will that model work in Ireland? We aren't yet a nation of coffee drinkers, will they get the volume of customers?

I am not convinced they will. Having said that, I for one will be availing of their services on a regular basis.

time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

tabatha wrote:
    well i dont mind as long as there is decent coffee etc...nothing wrong with a bit of competition, something this country needs.

Starbuck's whole business idea is anti-competition. They want to smash the competition by opening up as many outlets as possible. Its called infestation.
    They basically buy you out or force you out.

As for their coffee, I've had it once and it wasn't bad. Nothing to really write home about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Starbucks - the Wal-Mart of coffee.
    Frappucinos are excellent.
    Their primary dark roast tastes like stewed tobacco leaves. Nasty stuff.
    The Chai teas are good.
    Chairs are comfy and service is always above average.
    They expect a HIGH degree of friendly customer service from employees.
    If you get the job, can you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I used to work for Starbucks in Canada and am huge into coffee. I havent been able to find a Cafe Mocha anywhere in Dublin that even remotely compares to Starbucks'.

Starbucks Gingerbread Mocha = the best coffee ever made tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Their plan will not work.. driving others out of business!! All that will happen is that the price will fall in the other places to a decent level. The price of coffee like everything here is way too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Saruman wrote:
    it won't work...the price will fall in the other places to a decent level.
    Doesnt that happen everywhere else? Has it put them out of business yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

tom dunne wrote:
    No, no, no. Krispy Kreme doughnuts were much nicer.

MMMM yes - polished off 6 at the weekend - delish - 8 seconds in the micro - just right

exactly, look at how many "big" supermarkets there are around such as dunnes and tescos and yet the robbing spar shops seem to be popping up all around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well competition is always good for the consumer. As long as theres antitrust laws.

Anyway, I don't like starbucks much. (To be honest, I only ever drink hot chocolate) Costa, here in London is much better. Don't think they have any branches in Dublin, though.

oh i love costa's hot chocolate...there chocolissimo drinks are to die for!

have just been out in dundrum today and they have a new starbucks their. not opened yet but id say its in the next couple of days!!! roll on i say!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

According to the Sunday Business Post, the Dundrum Starbucks is due to open at the start of September. Bring on the Venti Iced Mocha Frappuchino Light (no cream please) and I will be in heaven!!

For all you lucky sods living up the North, there's a Starbucks in the Junction One outlet centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

From all reports I've heard it's going to be this Thursday 18th! Only today have their irish website starbucks.ie started to resolve to the US one. Here's hoping for the 18th, if it is I'm heading there for lunch and leaving just after dinner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

will be interesting to see if the prices are comparible to abroad... like the Big Mac price index.

Advertisement