Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starbucks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

whiskeyman wrote:
    will be interesting to see if the prices are comparible to abroad... like the Big Mac price index.
    Ah, the Tall Latte Index. We've the Economist to blame for that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

IS it OPEN?
    I've been getting reports that it is.....can anyone confirm before I make the trip on out?!?! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

From todays indo:

STARBUCKS' plans to increase its planned coffee shop outlets in Ireland have run into difficulties, amid claims the company's presence would "dumb down" an historic part of Dublin.

The US chain will open its first coffee shop in the country in the Dundrum Town Centre today, but planning objections have delayed its flagship outlet, on Dublin's College Green.

One objector to An Bord Pleanala has protested that granting planning permission would "dumb down" an historic part of the city; that allowing a coffee shop to open would run contrary to plans for a site that had been earmarked for a high quality restaurant, supposed to bring some class back to the area.

Paul Duffy, from Donnycarney, said he has no axe to grind with Starbucks, but added: "May they continue to grow and thrive and dominate the world as they are doing, but let them do so on the side streets away from our most important and historic buildings."

He suggested Starbucks could relocate to Temple Bar "where the coffee might have a sobering effect on the drunks".

Starbucks has more than 9,500 coffee shops worldwide, serving some 33m customers a week. The Seattle-based chain already has a small outlet in Dublin City University, but the Dundrum shop will be its first in the Republic to open to the general public.

Dublin City Council granted planning permission earlier this year to Treasury CMBS, owner of the College Green premises, to change the use of its Riada Building from a restaurant to a coffee shop, but that has now been appealed to An Bord Pleanala, with a decision due in October.

Another objector, Magdalena Gendek, from Drumcondra, protested that a Starbucks coffee shop would further erode the civic fabric of the urban centre, increase litter and it goes against the council's policy of trying to control the spread of heavy corporate branding.

She said: "A restaurant of high quality such as Shanahans would be appropriate for the area, however a Starbucks multinational coffee shop chain store is an entirely different use."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

there is one also going into the blanchardstown shopping center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

There has been aq starbucks in ulster bank or boi for a long time now, but the thing is it is not the same quality or type of coffee you get in the states they just used the name But i would say the new ones are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Starbucks... yummy...
    Thought I had died and gone to heaven when I found out they had one in work (MS). Think I may have over-dosed at this stage so I am taking a break from it :) ... verry addicting

... right so... who's for coffee??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sarge wrote:
    there is one also going into the blanchardstown shopping center

Yay! Their mochas and frappes are just plain mmmmm

So has any starbucks fans been out yet? I got the luas on out after work. Very exciting indeed!

The store is on par with others worldwide, didn't see any couches though. Menu is the very same as the UK one, but the baristas will make to demand items that are off-menu, i.e. vanilla cream fraps. Food selection, but is once again identical to that of the UK including a large range of starbucks sandwiches and cakes, however I didn't see any cinnamon swirls.

It was very busy when I went out, around 7:30pm. A few passers by where slagging the queue, which in fact was out the front door; however service was very quick considering. There where two staff (partners in starbucks lingo) taking orders with another four serving drinks. Two additional floor staff where floating around making sure everyone was happy.

The store stocks a full range of merchandise, including a Dublin City Mug. Price wise it’s good. A Large Latte is a little over €3, Venti (24oz) is €3.75. Flavour shot is 50c extra and I think Soya milk is 60c extra (Barnies now charge 90c for Soya – outrageous). Whilst they will sell boxes of tazo tea for €5.50, they will not sell their flavour syrups. The barista did inform me they sell them in the US!

The staff where all very friendly, from accents appeared to be British or American. One thing I would suggest is for them to adopt the concept of taking either your name or initials and putting it on the drink as the collection point was a little crowded and confusing; everyone was grapping each others drinks as they where being severed.

Overall I was impressed with the operation. A very warm welcome to Ireland, long overdue….lets see the Irish coffee wars begin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I do like their coffee, even if it is over priced. I hate the way they use tall, grande and venti instead of small, medium and large. I feel like such a fag asking for a grande vanilla latte. For those who can'r wait for them head to DCU where you can get the majority of their coffee in the Starbucks there.

Yeah patmooneyyou can get the syrups in the USA, picked up caramel and vanilla in Canada recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I was in dundrum on saturday and saw it. The queue was out the door. Didn't bother queueing.

• Advertisement

They have free WiFi abroad, do they have that here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

was talking to a member of staff from starbucks in dundrum yesterday and she informed me that they are having problems getting staff for the new stores and that is delaying the process. it is also the same for there store as they cant get staff and that is why the queue is out the door. she told me college green will be the next and then harcourt street if they can get the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

They sell their own brand syrups for €5.10 (375ml) which is actually very reasonable. I get Torrani Vanilla syrup from particular coffee shop which is charged at €13.75 for 750Ml.

The Starbucks one unfortunately isn't a patch on the Torrani flavour.

Why is so hard to buy the Syrups? I've tried musgraves and a half dozen coffee shops before I found my (pusher) supplier :(

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well as long as they open late, hate not being able to go for late night coffee
    in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Thaedydal wrote:
    Well as long as they open late, hate not being able to go for late night coffee
    in this country.

That's my main complaint about Irish coffee chains. They operate for office workers and shoppers. If Starbucks changes that then it will be a positive thing. College Green could manage 24/7 business with all the Temple Bar crowd, taxi drivers etc.

But I've still never had a good cup of coffee in a Starbucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have at least 2 mochas a day in Tallaght IT.

I hate saying Venti and all that crap. "But Venti means LARGE!" They say....:rolleyes:

It means 20, as in 20oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I like Starbucks' Frappuchinnos (did I spell that right? Hehe...). Yep...the chocolate one and the strawberry one.

I should try more coffee-stuff though; I never used to like coffee and then one night I tried some and I was like, "Hey! This stuff is good.." Hehe...

:D

According to todays Business Post, Starbucks will be opening their second outlet at the Harcourt Building on the corner of Harcourt St and Adelaide rd. Nice location, really nice building!

This will be interesting as it puts them in direct competition with O'Briens, Insomnia and Coffee Society, all of which are within a minutes walk of each other.

Business Post

The lovely Harcourt Building

Well if they stay open until 1 am on Thursday I am sure they will get costum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I've been craving a frappuchinno for the past week or so. May have to go get one today...

:D

• Advertisement

I'm resurrecting this topic as the other Starbucks thread has lost the plot completely.

Has the Starbucks on Harcourt St opened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Giblet wrote:
    I have at least 2 mochas a day in Tallaght IT.

I hate saying Venti and all that crap. "But Venti means LARGE!" They say....:rolleyes:

It means 20, as in 20oz
    I thought Venti was large in Italian. No wonder the barista in rome was like "Venti!!?" When I asked for a venti coffee. Now I know. He thought I wanted 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The one on Harcourt Street will really be in competition with all the other coffee chains. But the late night opening would swing it for me. It's not I particularly like Starbucks, but at least you can get a cup of coffee at night.

Good to know that they sell syrups as well. Torani is very expensive and I'd like to try to find some other sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

dudara wrote:
    The one on Harcourt Street will really be in competition with all the other coffee chains. But the late night opening would swing it for me. It's not I particularly like Starbucks, but at least you can get a cup of coffee at night.
    Yeah it would be nice to have somewhere other than a pub to go to... sure there was Bewleys open all hours for years but it was a bit old fashioned and cold.

Where is Harcourt street is it going to be, do you know? Across the road from the Garda offices?

Where is Harcourt street is it going to be, do you know? Across the road from the Garda offices?

See my other post half way up this page :)

Do they have late night opening? Last week they told me they closed at 10pm. That's not very late.

FX Meister wrote:
    Do they have late night opening? Last week they told me they closed at 10pm. That's not very late.
    Thats true but when every other place closes at 5pm sharp its a step forward.

What about Cafe Mocha ( spelling?), that opens late.

FX Meister wrote:
    What about Cafe Mocha ( spelling?), that opens late.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that, its always jammed though so I never go there.

• Advertisement

Ten pm is still pretty early compared to places abroad.

Advertisement