Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biker Forums....

Options
  • 18-05-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just to let y'all know about a new website called www.biker.ie

Didn't seem to be much along the lines of a focused Irish motorcycle enthusiasts hot-spot (despite a proliferation of car forums) on the ol inter-web, so if you're a biker (or thinking about becoming one) why not drop by and say hello.. any comments, suggestions and/or criticisms welcome.

Thanks,
    Brendan
    www.biker.ie

Ps. mike/borz, any chance of adding this to the Guide sticky ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Biker.ie wrote:
    Didn't seem to be much along the lines of a focused Irish motorcycle enthusiasts hot-spot (despite a proliferation of car forums) on the ol inter-web,
    Fair play to you Brendan setting it up but...
    There is an existing Irish Bikers Forum.
    There is also a 5+ year old Yahoo Group Motorcycle Ireland

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭jiffy

Thanks for the plug Causal :)

www.irishbikerforum.com is setup to work in conjunction with the Yahoo mailing list that you also mentioned.

On the site there is a file upload area to upload photo's and documents etc and a live chat area. I'm also open to suggestions for other functionality that anyone wants.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

Oops, I hadn't realised there was another (nice site btw) as a quick google on 'bikers ireland' had returned various dating agencies, blackwidowsireland.com (seriously) and even 'the b@stard brothers' from kildare kinda stuff, so I figured on even 1% of the 25,000? or so bikers in Ireland being (even mildly) interested in something like this it'd be worth it, seems you got there afew months before me.

It's funny because the little known about www.viewmybike.com had preceded www.irishbikesales.com [free plugs everywhere today] by afew months also- and they're both living within a stones throw of each other.

Shir tis all good as the man says, Suppose its all down to publicity & awareness at the end of the day,

hey I'm organising free booze and a wet t-shirt competition next week :D

Hi,

I've written a new (2 month old) site for Irish Bikers, it's main focus is a board based forum.

Feel free to take a look and register.

www.irishbikerforum.com

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Threads for new biker forums (fora?) merged. A good kicking awaits anyone with new a thread to promote their biker forum ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 J.Daniels

whats you got against bikers borzoi :D

Jiffy, It doesn't seem quite as simple and well laid out as www.biker.ie maybe you could lose the distracting (free?) adverts as they serve no real benefit to the site. This is run from your home PC, is it on unix or something ?
    I'm hosting it myself over a 2mb line that I have into my house. It's an uncapped service to doesn't matter to me how many people look at the site.

It's running on a Linux Xeon Server.

The ad's are things that people may find useful, motoring organisations, shops that give out good service etc. And yes they are free. I don't make anything form the site.

As for layout, that's a personal thing. It's a board based sytem and I can't see how I can make it simpler, you go to the site and there are all the boards, what's hard about that ?

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 J.Daniels

calm-down1.jpg
    Calm down, its called 'constructive' criticism.

I'm not 'uncalm' just pointing out my own opinion as did you.

If you can tell me how it could be more simple then I'm willing to listen. Generic comments such as it's not as simple or well laid out are not constructive.

Matt

J.Daniels wrote:
    whats you got against bikers borzoi :D

Absolutely nothing - you're a fine group of potential organ donors :D

• Advertisement

Not funny ! We face enough problems on the road without having comments like that publically posted. I have lost one friend to a bike accident but know of more people killed in cars and coaches.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Borzoi wrote:
    Absolutely nothing - you're a fine group of potential organ donors :D

Not really... the crash that kills us would typically render our nice juicy organs... errr... well, ever hit a tomato with a hammer?

jiffy wrote:
    Not funny !

Apologies for offence, but it's a term I picked up from a friend who works in an Accident & Emergency ward of a hospital - apparently they refer to all bikers as organ donors. Make of it wat you will.

If you go by statistics, we make up something like 3% of road users and 25% of all fatal accidents (something along those lines anyway). The VAST majority of those fatalies and accidents are by no stretch of the imagination the fault of the biker.

Most of us know the risks we take when we gear up each morning and responsible riders take as much precaution and care as possible.

We don't need to be reminded that the odds are stacked against us. I was involved in an accident recently and a rider with less experience or one paying less attention would quite likely have ended up in the category you mentioned.

Anyway, we both have a point and have made it so fair's fair :)

Matt

Advertisement