Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft disastrous 360 Launch

Options
  • 18-05-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Forgetting for a moment about the actual consoles themselves, it seems the MS retorick did not go down well

"Working together we will turn thought leadership into market leadership."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59154

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I wouldnt go so far as to say it was disastrous, only that the speakers were spouting a load of hyperbole and jargon, bullsh!t basically, and the thing as a whole was overshadowed utterly by the PS3 launch. The 360 looks nice, has some decent games and im lookin forward to it, but the PS3 launch made me want a PS3 NOW!! Sony concentrate don what people wanted to see..mainly, games, and losts of em, not some goons prattling on about market leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Yeah but if you actually read that entire thing it pretty much indulges itself in Playstation fanboy love lust. So what a company want to dominate the market they want to be the world leader, whats the point of being in business if you do not want to be the number 1?

If you look at the pros and cons section they trip themselves up on a few. Saying something is great in the pros and then bad in the cons.

Also people seem to have this thing about the 360 being way behind the ps3 in terms of performance. What exactly are we basing this on? Has anyone run benchmark tests yet? Has anyone seen either of them yet? I think its hilarious the way fanboys bash each other with tech specs despite never having seen one in action...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

iregk wrote:
    fanboys bash each other with tech specs despite never having seen one in action...
    and that is exactly what's happening.

all the tech sheets in the world won't beat a video of one of the systems in action now will it.

MS needs to get some vids and action shots out there if it wants to compete. nobody gives a shoite about market shares or business models, they just want to see some ass kicking demo's and that's what will sell the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

In the "real world" it seems as though Microsoft actually did reach a far larger audience (especially in the key demographics of young males) through their MTV special...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

vibe666 wrote:
    and that is exactly what's happening.

all the tech sheets in the world won't beat a video of one of the systems in action now will it.

MS needs to get some vids and action shots out there if it wants to compete. nobody gives a shoite about market shares or business models, they just want to see some ass kicking demo's and that's what will sell the consoles.

I agree totally its all about the games, PS3 has some cool looking games, Im sure the 360 does too, let see em and enough of the waffle marketing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Eurogamer are being slightly over critical for some reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Mmmmmm, I thought so too. They praise the PS3 and slant the others badly.

e.g.

PS3 caption: PlayStation 3 - The Real Next Generation

Xbox caption: Xbox 360 fails to convince in LA

First line of Rev. synopsis: Nintendo virtually conceded the next generation console war today.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That review screams fanboy to me. Langers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I think the Eurogamer website lost a bit of its credibility yesterday. I couldn't believe the total s**t I was reading and I know I was not the only one that felt that way (check out the response comments).

I think everybody got tied up in the PS hype again. Admitedly Sony seem excellent at marketing their consoles. They made a bunch of empty promises for the PS2 which left a lot of people feeling quite deflated at launch time.

Will it be the same for the PS3? Who knows. As has already been said we'll really need to wait to get our hands on the games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ya, that article was completly biased. they give out about the fact that the 360 has some sequels........come on, more then half the games for the ps3 were sequels.

i wasnt that impresses with most of the things at e3, except maybe oblivion, gears of war(with the amazing unreal 3.0 engine), and final fantasy XII.

oh, and the Final Fantasy VII tech demo thing...DO A REMAKE DAMN YOU!!!!

on a side note, was there anything non-console related? like some pc games?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Did anyone notice the insane difference in entertainment between the Nintendo press conference and the other 2? I mean, the Nintendo one was just so much nicer and enjoyable to wacth compared to the boredom and monoteny of the others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I usually read Eurogamer, I was pretty disapointed in their coverage of the press conferences though, especially the line on the Revolution as pointed out by HH.
    back on topic, Microsoft still have time to pull things back in their favour, they just need to drop the waffle and show us what they can do. I think they needed to show Halo 3 at any cost, only that (and maybe some details on PGR3) can save E3 for them, and in reality this E3 should have been there's from day 1.
    There's still time, when is E3 over, it's only started proper today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

At the end of the day MS have 6 months plus to put their money where their mouth is before the other consoles get released. ALl these demos look the muts nuts but it'll be the Xbox360 that will be with the public first.

I totally agree with a Halo 3 annoucement - probably waiting until Sony have throw in their 2 cents - let it all die down and then BAM. Show us the level of Halo 2 we all wanted to play (the missing one at the end in case i'm the only one who knows what i'm talking about).

I'll say this though - if I have the cash I wouldn't think twice about filling up my tv stand with all three consoles.

Oh and I would like to add, after reading the Eurogamer editorial, that while they may have given fair accounts on the case of which they felt was better, ps3 or xb360, they still were over critical of the revolution, saying it conceeded the generation and was less about hardware and more about software. tbh, the specs arent out yet and even if they are behind (which is likely) that doesn't mean the machine isn't to be a big player in the next gen.
    MS were too busy with their MTV show, they need to show more videos!!!! NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Why do people judge consoles so much because of their marketing? Cant you make up your own minds? Its not as if the people who made the console organised and made the press confrence or the campaign or any of that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's a pretty biased article. Sounds like he's one of these guys who hates Microsoft just because they are a Monopoly yet I bet he still uses Windows. I think Sony stole the show alright but Microsoft are gearing up pretty well I thought. It's poor Nintendo i'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

We Will Prevail!!!!

Kazaanova wrote:
    Why do people judge consoles so much because of their marketing? Cant you make up your own minds? Its not as if the people who made the console organised and made the press confrence or the campaign or any of that ****.

Well to be fair that's mainly what we're going on at the moment. The spec sheets mean f*ck all, it's how they're employed in games. At the moment all we have is pomp and glittery shít. And while I dont like sony much, they're winning so far.
    I don't think many people here buy into the crap, most people posting here are well weathered gamers. They're just going on what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sounds like he's one of these guys who hates Microsoft just because they are a Monopoly yet I bet he still uses Windows
    thats it in one I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Any indication as to the price of the 360?

• Advertisement

I heard 400 euro somewhere :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive really gone off Eurogamer in the last couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Me too, I only liked them because they were European. They've had decent coverage of E3, but Gamespots free video thing is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Gamespot really are rocking the shiz with that free video stuff.

www.gametrailers.com are have decent res videos. Shame their bandwidth is being eaten up massively at the mo though..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

while when both consoles were unvieled i was disapointed with what i saw of the X-360 (and exploded over the ps3) I have since looking at the trailers for the x-360 become more and more excited about it. I mean Gears of War looks fantastic.

I think the MTV event with the X-360 kinda backfired with gamers (while might have worked for average joe) as when E3 (their event) came around they didnt really care for microsoft as it was already unveiled and peferred to see the new consoles.

Advertisement