Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats going on?

• 18-05-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I have just moved into a new place and am trying to sort out the bb connection. We are with Eircom, and it was all set up before I moved in. Apparently no modem or micro filters were posted out at all. I am able to connect grand, but, heres the weird thing. It seems that whenever my comp is turned off or goes to sleep, when I turn it back on the line loses the broadband signal. I havent tested it properly, but it just seems that in the morning times, when I turn on the computer, then go downstairs and plug in the wireless router, it works fine. But if I turn off the computer at any point, and back on again, I cant connect at all.

As I said I havent tested it, but it has been happening for the last 3 mornings anyway and each time I turn the comp off, i cant get back online.

There are no micro filters attached btw.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This used to happen to me every goddamn day.

It also happened when I played online, the second I exited the game the connection died!

It pissed me off for ages. I used to have to reinstall drivers twice a day to continue using it.

Problem stopped when I used Ethernet instead of Usb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if there are any phones in the house, attach the microfilters, but you should have the DSL modem attached to one regardless, to ensure as good a signal.
    Also, is it a separate DSL Modem and Router you Use, or is the Router a combi which has the telephone line plugged into it directly.

The router should have its own dial-up client ( PPPoE settings ) and as long as its powered on should stay connected regardless of the computers. if you use your computer to dial-up, meaning your DSL connection isnt listed in the 'Local Area Network' type in network connections, then each time its powered off, it needs to re-dial to connect.

if you have the option of using ethernet, you really should use it, as its far more compatible with other equipment/setups, and Operating Systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ugh...I dont really understand what you mean Jnive :confused: . I basically have a Netgear wireless router, with the phone line attached directly to it. The router is independant of my laptop, and stays on when my laptop is off. Should my router be attached to the phone line via a microfilter?

do you have phones connected to that line, if so you need the phone filter on their circuit, and the DSL filter on the router's line.

If you have nothing using your line, apart from your router, it is still advisable to use a DSL filter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Are you connecting the PC to the Netgear router via wireless link? If so, when you switch off/reboot the comp, it takes a certain amount of time for the wireless connection to be established (that's assuming it's set to Connect Automatically).
    This mightn't be your problem.
    I flashed the firmware on my dg834g a few weeks back after having problems...the new firmware is a lot better, especially in the ADSL department...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The laptop is connected to the router via wireless link. Leaving time to allow it to make the connection is definately not the problem - it could be there for 15mins and still nothing. Eircom never sent out any filters or modem, I will have to get on to them about it. But its just strange the way it seems to be grand until the computer turns off or goes asleep.
    Thanks for the help lads.

Advertisement