Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving info needed

• 18-05-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all divers, I am new-ish to diving and am looking for some info/advice/diving companions. I did my Open Water and a deep dive while travelling through Thailand last year. Did a kind of a fun dive back in Scuba Dive West in Galway when I got back and have not dived since. Now that the season is kicking off again I am interested in doing some more diving in Ireland. I don't have any gear at all so would have to go with a club. I am based in the Midlands and have found it hard to find a contact name for any local Sub Aqua Clubs. If anyone could help me out with names/numbers that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Peace wrote:
    Scubaireland.com has a list of CFT clubs. Its split out by region. That link is for north dublin. You can view the other regions by clicking the links in the top right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

hi i'm new to the midlands too, does anyone know of any dive sites in the midlands?? any spots on the shannon?
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Juicy

I rang the Midlands Regional Dive Officer and he put me onto another guy from the athlone club. He then told me that they are not a PADI type crowd, they do the other BSAC type training. Basically you have to join the club, train with them from Sept to Spring-ish and only then can you go out diving with them. Also, I didn't have enough cold water experience to just go out this summer with them. So I may give them a call closer to September and see what the story is.

I rang a place in Kilkee for a dive this w/end but they aren't taking any boats out cos there's a storm expected to hit the coast there this weekend.

So my alternative was a place up in Sligo http://www.clubi.ie/firstsite/sligo but I couldn't get through there at all. Will keep trying for maybe a place over in Achill or go back to Scuba dive West again. If I get more ambitious I could try heading down to Cork, there are a few PADI Dive centres down there.

BTW nitroboy let me know if you find out anything?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You can cross train from PADI to CFT (I assume BSAC is what CFT is based on). Ring the club and find out what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Evil Phil wrote:
    (I assume BSAC is what CFT is based on).

CFT and BSAC both were affiliated to CMAS. BSAC however ceased to be affiliated with CMAS a number of years ago (Large falling out). CFT continue to be associated with CMAS. Both work on the club style of training.

• Advertisement
Advertisement