Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 Price

Options
  • 18-05-2005 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

From IGN:
    May 17, 2005 - According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

Comments

Wow that's cheap! I was afraid that it might be around the €500 mark.

Thanks for the good news Mobile! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It will be €500 here...

Yeah probably. But I was going to buy mine in Japan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

That is roughly €370 but Sony will probably round it up to €399.99 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

OT, can anyone remember how much the N64 was on its release date? Think it was March 1st 97? I got it that day, think it was £250 for the console alone??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

$465 U.S. DOLLARS!!!!!!

Hey I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cormie wrote:
    OT, can anyone remember how much the N64 was on its release date? Think it was March 1st 97? I got it that day, think it was £250 for the console alone??

I have a Sega Mag from '94, it has the PSX plus DOOM for a bargin 375.99 STERLLING

cormie wrote:

But didn't it drop to £199 three weeks later and Nintendo came under fire for it, so they offered a limited choice of a free game. My friend couldn't find his receipt ;) and lost out.

I have a Sega Mag from '94, it has the PSX plus DOOM for a bargin 375.99 STERLLING

I bet it didn't even come with a memory card. I had my playstation three months before I finally bought a memory card, it was a real pain in the ass starting from scratch each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I never heard that!! Bastards!! I want my free game!! I don't have the N64 anymore, but I kept the receipt all the time I had it:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Too expensive, remember when the xbox came out priced at about 400 euros and noone bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Wow that's cheap! I was afraid that it might be around the €500 mark.

Thanks for the good news Mobile! :)

Hehe. You know sonys got good marketing when the first comment after hearing that price is "Wow that's cheap!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

For what your getting, it is. How much would a PC of the same specs be?
    Anyway, seems like a reasonable enough price, not too shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

I bet it didn't even come with a memory card. I had my playstation 3 months before I finally bought a memory card, it was a real pain in the ass starting from scratch each day.

where did you get your ps3 from lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

p~b wrote:

THIEF! THIEF!
    lmao

p~b wrote:

:D From my best friends, Breaking and Entering.

I meant I had the original ps three months before I got around to buying a memory card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:D From my best friends, Breaking and Entering.

I meant I had the original ps three months before I got around to buying a memory card.

So did I. And worst of all, what game was I playing?

Tomb Raider 3.

Ah, nothing like a fresh nights sleep to prepare to play that tricky level in TR3.

Again.

For the 20th time that week.

Whats that, I've fallen onto a spike and died? Ah sure whats the harm in starting the whole thing over again, I've got nothing better to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

im rather surprises about the price tbh, the ps2 was 380 pounds when it was released over here, i was expecting something in the region of 600 euros

they better give me a damn memory card this time round, oh lovely ive bought a 380 pound machine and ive to spend another 30 just to save my games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

remember when the ps3 comes out the xbox will already have been out a few months, so it has to compete (though even if it was €600, it would still sell like hot cakes). i wish nintendo would sort themselves out before they get blown out of the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

So did I. And worst of all, what game was I playing?

Tomb Raider 3.

Ah, nothing like a fresh nights sleep to prepare to play that tricky level in TR3.

Again.

For the 20th time that week.

Whats that, I've fallen onto a spike and died? Ah sure whats the harm in starting the whole thing over again, I've got nothing better to do anyway.
    Aaaahhhh! Don't remind me - that was the scene of my worst gaming nightmare ever. There was a bit where you had to jump up all these ledges in an Indian temple... I spent hours getting to it, and climbing the whole way to the top. When I finally got there, I took my hands off the controller and shouted "Yessssssss!", only to see a boulder drop out of the ceiling, and crush me.

It was probably the closest I've ever come to suicide.

• Advertisement

mr_angry wrote:
    Aaaahhhh! Don't remind me - that was the scene of my worst gaming nightmare ever. There was a bit where you had to jump up all these ledges in an Indian temple... I spent hours getting to it, and climbing the whole way to the top. When I finally got there, I took my hands off the controller and shouted "Yessssssss!", only to see a boulder drop out of the ceiling, and crush me.

It was probably the closest I've ever come to suicide.

Off topic/

Are there are plans for more Tomb Raider games? I loved the first two, cant remember much of 3 or 4 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

grimloch wrote:
    im rather surprises about the price tbh, the ps2 was 380 pounds when it was released over here, i was expecting something in the region of 600 euros

Yep, same for the XBox. It launched at €480 (~£380). Both had launch prices of $299 in the US. If the same trend is to apply..............................well, I'll let you do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

When the Xbox was first released they ended up reducing the price after a few weeks because of slow takeup. I wont be paying 400 for a console when it comes out regardless of wether its the PS3 or not. If they launch at 400 to 500 quid then they'll end up with a slow take up unless it falls to the 300 price range or less.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Infini wrote:
    When the Xbox was first released they ended up reducing the price after a few weeks because of slow takeup. I wont be paying 400 for a console when it comes out regardless of wether its the PS3 or not. If they launch at 400 to 500 quid then they'll end up with a slow take up unless it falls to the 300 price range or less.

Xbox sold slowly because Halo was a long way off at that stage and there were no good games on Xbox, while their were loads on PS2.

PS3 is going to fly off the shelves even at €500, just look at the PSP, if a year ago you told me I was going to plonk down €250 for a hand held, I would have told you that you are crazy, having palyed a PSP, I'll plonk that down without even thinking.

PS3 is going to be the most have item for Christmas 2006. It is going to be bought by adults for adults, that is how they will get away with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You must remember Sony arnt really aiming the PS3 so much at kids but at adults looking for an enertainment hub of some sort.

I need to get one just so I can control it from my psp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah I was pretty much on the button with a 400-500 estimate then. I knew they couldn't sell that sort of hardware for any less. They will still be losing a couple of hundred on each console sale. We usually get direct values from america. So if it's $465 there it will be 450-500e here. That's a bargain for what your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

And I am just going to buy it in the states(will it be region free?) or ebay or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All depends on how the $ is doing V € when it's released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Im guessing the PS3 will be €600 in Ireland.

Can anyone rememer how much the PS2 was when it came out, I can't remember if I paid £280 or £380, it must have been £280, which is about €380

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

SkyUser i want to bang Terri Hatcher and Gabrielle and even the red headed mom....screw it I'll do the stressed out mom too and hot blonde one...who is that in the background....fine i'll bang her too! God damn it.

Advertisement