Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Michael McDowell

Options
  • 18-05-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Michael McDowell said the patience of the Irish people would be very tested if they knew the 'cock and bull' stories being given by people looking for asylum.

He said these included, for example, that they thought they had arrived in Canada, or that they had been selected for ritual sacrifice or to carry out a ritual sacrifice in their home country.

'I would prefer to interview these people at the airport, but the UN insists that I go through due procedure,' said Mr McDowell.

He continued: 'As soon as we go through due process and the gardaí arrive, they lift the phone and call a lawyer who gets them a judicial review to get them taken off the plane. And as soon as they serve papers on me it is my duty to stop the flight.'

How inconvenient for poor Mickey. Stupid UN and their stupid rules.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0518/asylum.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 saltar

I've always felt McDowell was Anti-UN and Anti-Human rights this has just confirmed it.
    I feel ashamed to be Irish with a man like that in charge of our justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

'I would prefer to interview these people at the airport, but the UN insists that I go through due procedure,' said Mr McDowell.

Thats whats wrong. He wants to treat his fellow man the way he see's fit an not the way the majority of the world do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

saltar wrote:
    Thats whats wrong. He wants to treat his fellow man the way he see's fit an not the way the majority of the world do.

to play the devils advocate here.

Just because the rest of the world agreed to it before world travel was made significantly easier should we stick to it from here on in? Thats to deny and level of progress in all facets of human life. It is easier for people to get here now - so it is done more lightly. Asylum is about being pushed from a country, not pulled by another.

What McDowell is complaining about is that it is apparently very evident that a significant proportion of asylum seekers are bogus, and that this is apparent from first contact. He would like to be able to react immediately in such an instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Michael McDowell is a no bull**** man. Which is great when he backs the right cause like this. Ireland has no legitimate refugees. Real refugees dont plan across the world trips to western europe if they're in some immediate danger. Why do people who break immigration law get such vocal support from the minority?

• Advertisement

base2 wrote:
    Michael McDowell is a no bull**** man. Which is great when he backs the right cause like this. Ireland has no legitimate refugees. Real refugees dont plan across the world trips to western europe if they're in some immediate danger. Why do people who break immigration law get such vocal support from the minority?

So I suppose the Irish in America didnt plan they would land there when they took of on the coffin ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this doesn't look like it's going anywhere. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement