Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killzone Ps3 Trailer - Prerendered?

Options
  • 18-05-2005 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched this....wow.

It looks better then a Hollywood movie.

But is it real gameplay? The movement and design for the trailer seemed to be a Pre Rendered video tbh, I didn't really think of it as actual In-Game...

But, if that IS in-game, god help the 360.... :eek:

What does anyone think of it being real as oppossed to pre rendered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Linkage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Of Course it's pre-rendered!

Best case scenario, it's running on PS3 but only as a dvd film I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It is pre rendered. They have already said that is a representation of how the game will play.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2767820#post2767820

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Everything sony showed bar epic and EA games were pre rendered

In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time. But most of those movies, which I probably watched three or four during rehearsals for the event, look very achievable and some were probably rendered on the actual box but in non-real-time. When a system is year away, heck even with a system is six months away, it is reasonable to expect the power of the dev kits would still only be a fraction of the power of the final system.

I know we'll certainly be able to achieve much more on the final box than we were able to show in our demo after working with the early dev kit for only ~2 months. As Tim mentioned our demo only really showed off the power of RSX and then still we're talk about an RSX that's nowhere near as fast as the final one will be. When we get home from E3 we'll also start diving seriously into the power of the cell processor. This is a very powerful system!

Sony's cell demos were extremely cool and inspiring but are totally achievable, and over time even surpassable, by third developers like us because, as Tim Sweeney said, the development environment is made up of parts we're already intimately familiar with: OpenGL, NVIDIA graphics, Linux, and PowerPC. Think about Epic's experience, for example. We rock on NVIDIA hardware. We have been doing OpenGL since Unreal 1. We regularly ship our games on Linux and we've won several Macintosh Game of the Year awards including a special World-Wide Design Award directly from Apple for UT2004. We're going to be able to kick serious ass on PS3, and so are a lot of our licensees and other 3rd party developers, in a way that wasn't remotely possible on past consoles.

I should add that we're in a similar position for Xbox 360. It's also made up of parts we're intimately familiar with. My point is that developers are going to be able to get SO MUCH MORE power out of these consoles than they ever could in the past and so much closer to the raw power of the components. The next generation is just going to be AMAZING!!! Next-gen games will be a huge leap forward over current gen. Can you tell I'm excited?

Link: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615178p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

while the killzone thing was, in essence, pre-rendered, it was rendered in real-time by the engine itself. guerilla games have no said this themselves, but my monkeys (who may or may not be working for GG) have spilled some beans :)

expect to see that level of detail in the final product, which'll be a launch title for the ps3.

halo? ha! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Anyone see MotorStorm? I thought that looked even better!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i thought gears of war looked just as good, if not better. nothing beats the unreal 3.0 engine, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

halo? ha!

i could of swore i heard all this before with the original killzone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

hairstyle17il.jpg

Is that who I think it is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

lmao gordon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Looks a bit more like a younger version of the G-Man to be honest. But that guy on the left, reminds me of Sean Bean. Good to see him getting some work in between films.

/Edit: Actually, it does look like Gordon. Although it still looks like a young G-Man...Gordon.....G-Man. Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm not going to start thinking about HL2 theories again. I'm going. And I don't know when I'll be back. Maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I thought it looked like a young g-man as well. G-man is not Gordon freeman though. It's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

am i the only one who thought it was bez from the happy mondays... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BlitzKrieg wrote:

Multiformat magazines generally called it mediocre, however dedicated ps2 magazines and the offical one hailed it as the game to rival halo etc etc.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

smokingman wrote:
    Of Course it's pre-rendered!

Best case scenario, it's running on PS3 but only as a dvd film I'd say...
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vid_1134554.html?mu=http%3A%2F%2Fps3movies.ign.com%2Fps3%2Fvideo%2Farticle%2F617%2F617862%2Fg4_e305live_day3_jtretton_qtlow.mov
    head of sony america says it is actual game play.

I for one choose to believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

BloodBath wrote:
    I thought it looked like a young g-man as well. G-man is not Gordon freeman though. It's not possible.

you are now entering the twilight zone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lol think about the few times where g-man saves gordon. If he was gordon then how did he survive the first time to come back and save him. Time travel doesn't have to make sense though. Look at Terminator. John connor sends a guy back to save his mum and the guy turns out to be his dad, wtf :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Scary that is... chaos theory AAAAaarrghh!

...but seriously Freeman and G-man do (in a round-a-bout way) look alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    yes and, IMO, killzone is a superior game :)

anyway, sony came out and said the game is all rendered in real-time with some dude playing it. i read somewhere a scene-by-scene analysis thing of the video by some animation guy who was basically showing why it can't be pre-rendered (errors in some layers, the ground not looking as pristine as it would if it were a cg movie etc.)...

some animation guy who was basically showing why it can't be pre-rendered (errors in some layers, the ground not looking as pristine as it would if it were a cg movie etc.)...
    But if it was rushed toghter (as it was) alot of these errors could of easily gone unnoticed or ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Maybe it was intentional! Conspiracies abound!

In other news...
    yes and, IMO, killzone is a superior game :)
    lmao :D

I can't believe some people are still thinking this is real and ingame. Look at other sots from the PS3. e.g. the next Gran Turismo: http://img126.echo.cx/img126/4734/visiongranturismo2005051607290.jpg & http://img38.echo.cx/img38/1328/visiongranturismo2005051607291.jpg

There is a noticable step up in graphics between that and Gran Turismo 4, a belivable and realistic step up. This is from the most talented company on the PS2 (at least in terms of graphics) yet, these shots get pissed on from a great height by the Killzone video. Something not suspicious here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yes and, IMO, killzone is a superior game

and IMO thats not very difficult...they both suck, and even if the game is not prerendered i am not impressed.

Has anyone look at what happens in the scene, its the d-day scene from medal of honour all over again with very little freedom and heavily scripted, i am not impressed at all. With all thats happening being scripted except for say 3-4 baddies its no wonder it can run at such pretty graphics...(but still think its prerendered anyway)

and could you tell me where you saw this scene by scene analysis, just want to see the arguments for it not being prerendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Seeing as I'm not an expert in this, I don't know if this is proof or not, but I found these and they seem to suggest that the trailer is in real time.

This one seems to show some pop-up which should not occured in a pre-rendered movie.

And this one seems to show the floor disappearing...

Make up your own minds I suppose... I personally am hoping its in-game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Looking at the gears of war trailer it doesn't seem too far fetched that this was in game. lets remember the step in technology from ps to ps2 and the ps gen to xbox was huge, this step up is even bigger so it is believeable that it was in game. Lets hope it was anyway.

Also who ever said kill zone was a superior game, i take it your comparing that to tetris or something because to say it was better than halo or halo 2 now that is funny... The original kill zone was a shocker of a game!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

seeing as right now there is no ps3 hardware, it'd be safe enough to say that it was pre-rendered, as were all ps3 videos

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

astrofool wrote:
    seeing as right now there is no ps3 hardware, it'd be safe enough to say that it was pre-rendered, as were all ps3 videos

Well, not necessarily, if you go by that definition then all the Xbox 360 demos were also pre-rendered as finished Xbox 360 hardware isn't avialable yet either.

The Xbox 360 demos were actually running on Dual G4 Power Mac development units.

The PS3 techincal demos were actualy in realtime on a real Cell CPU (which starting tapping out a few months ago). Now, fair enough, that Cell CPU was probably on some sort of add on board on some sort of Mac or PC development machine with a dual SLI Nvidia 6800 Ultra GPU, rather then a finished PS3.

Likewise the Unreal Tournament 2007 and Fight night demos were also confirmed to be in realtime (again probably on a dev machine).

This is nothing new, it has been the same story at every E3 for the last 10 years.

BTW typically the finished games look better then on early development machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

do you know what pre-rendering actually is? There is a big diff between running in real time on a dev kit, and something being pre-rendered, and shown as a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

if it was pre rendered it would look better than that.

• Advertisement

tba wrote:
    if it was pre rendered it would look better than that.
    Not nesseceraly. Just cause a clip is pre rendered does not mean it will look great.

Advertisement