Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killzone Ps3 Trailer - Prerendered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

right
    I am basing the fact that it is actual game play from the numerous links in this thread citing sources that confrim it.

I have yet to see a link posted that proves this to be otherwise, if I do I will reconsider.

I personaly have never seen any of the errors that crop up in this in even amateur CG work. It is shoddy and would get the person fired, not to mention the fact it would be next to impossible to accidentally do some of the stuff shown.

I personally hope that the game looks this good and if it plays any good it would make me buy the console, my first ever I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I can't believe some people are still thinking this is real and ingame. Look at other sots from the PS3. e.g. the next Gran Turismo: http://img126.echo.cx/img126/4734/visiongranturismo2005051607290.jpg & http://img38.echo.cx/img38/1328/visiongranturismo2005051607291.jpg

There is a noticable step up in graphics between that and Gran Turismo 4, a belivable and realistic step up.

That demo was using GT4 art assets rendered on PS3. They did the same thing with the PS2 GT demo - it uses GT2 assets. GT5 will look a lot better than that.

Killzone, I believe, was "prerendered to spec" meaning they created a non-realtime demo based on what they think will be possible with the system. I'm sure we'll see games like that within PS3's lifetime, even if they're not there at launch.

There was plenty of other impressive realtime stuff. Heavenly Sword had its framerate artificially smoothed out, but its frames were drawn by a PS3 dev kit - it looks spectacular. Fight Night, UT2K7 ditto. Not to speak of the tech demos, which by the way, were all realtime - have you seen the Doc Oc demo? Simply unbelievable. I know they're just tech demos, and can focus solely on making things look pretty, but it was still exceptionally impressive. The Getaway was also realtime, and get this - it was rendered using only the PS3 CPU..the GPU wasn't involved at all! You'll be able to get the CPU and GPU to collaborate together to make stuff look even better than they could using just the GPU. The Doc Oc demo also leveraged the CPU for really heavy lighting calculations that no GPU could handle on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Remember how excited everyone was about the first Killzone? People hailed it as a halo beated and an amazing game....it is fairly ****e. Pretty graphics dont make a game good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

astrofool wrote:
    do you know what pre-rendering actually is? There is a big diff between running in real time on a dev kit, and something being pre-rendered, and shown as a video.

Of course I do, I was being bloody sarcastic.

What you said was:
    "seeing as right now there is no ps3 hardware, it'd be safe enough to say that it was pre-rendered, as were all ps3 videos"

And I said sarcasticly that therefore the X360 demos must also be pre-rendered as there is no X360 hardware yet either.

I actually watched both press conferences. It was quiet obvious that some of the PS3 demos were in realtime on dev kits, while some were pre-rendered.

Likewise at the Xbox 360 conference, some of the demos were in realtime on dev kits while others were also pre-rendered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tusky wrote:
    Remember how excited everyone was about the first Killzone? People hailed it as a halo beated and an amazing game....it is fairly ****e. Pretty graphics dont make a game good.

I agree, I'm addicted to worms on the GBA at the moment :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But if it was rushed toghter (as it was) alot of these errors could of easily gone unnoticed or ignored.
    there's an interview with someone from guerilla games on killzone-game.com saying they've been working on that sequence since november. if it was CG it'd be much more flush...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

there's an interview with someone from guerilla games on killzone-game.com saying they've been working on that sequence since november. if it was CG it'd be much more flush...
    "How long ago did work start on the sequence?

Jan-Bart: We started working on it in late November, and only finished it three days before the show, at the very, very last moment!"

Sounds rushed to me :/

Advertisement