Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC Cards without chip/pin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Stekelly wrote:
    How does that work? I assume an option comes up on the machine whether you want to use laser or credit?

To a certain extent the card it's self will handle this.

With a pure Laser/Maestro card, it will select the Laser application in a domestic machine, and the Maestro application abroad.

The card holder will only be given a choice where there are two applications at the same priority level, but this will be rare.

In Theory it is possible to have a Mastercard and Visa application on the same chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Stekelly wrote:
    How does that work? I assume an option comes up on the machine whether you want to use laser or credit? I can imagine that being a bit of an annoyance with certain indecisive customers trawling through their pockets/bags reading receipts and bank statements to check which is the better method to pay.

Search me :P I assume you would just say "I want to pay with Laser/Credit Card" and they work it out on their old machiney-doodle. Laser, I imagine, would be the better option unless you have some sort of cashflow problem and need to rely on the credit card.

Stekelly wrote:
    I had a guy come in to me in work and try to pay for something with what I thought looked like a daodgy CC. My suspicion was confirmed when I swiped the card and the machine prompted me to "insert chip card". Thats fine, but the card wasnt chip and pin. :D

Many clone cards actually have the service code changed so that the machine does not know it used to be a chip card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maestro isn't a credit card, it's a debit card brand

BuffyBot wrote:
    Maestro isn't a credit card, it's a debit card brand

And it is replacing Laser in Ireland over the next year or so.

It replaced Switch in the UK last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

An AIB cashier told me that the Maestro/Banklink combo cards are available to ANY current account holder and can be used in Ireland as a debit card. They don't have a "delay" and clear the funds instantly. So, you can't spend more than you have in your account.

Laser on the otherhand doesn't necessarily process the transaction for several hours to several days. It's based on the same technology as old-style credit cards. Thus, you need to be creditworthy / have an overdraft facility before you'll be offered one.

AIB's MC2 cards (aimed at students) also process online, so all transactions are cleared before authorisation.

Laser/Maestro co-branding is starting now, so all of the exsisting Laser cards will be Maestro branded too.

The co-branded cards operate as Maestro abroad and Laser in Ireland.

Maestro is a Mastercard Product
    Laser's operated by a consortium of Irish banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

National Irish Bank's laser cards are now chip and pin. I got mine a couple of months ago.

BOI are extremely slow in the roll out. I have a BOI credit card and don't expect to see it replaced with a c&p version until the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

BOI are painfully slow with Chip & PIN. I saw some statistics about how many credit cards were now Chip&PIN and I'd suspect that the only ones left are BOI. I got my MBNA Chip card 2 years ago at this stage and my AIB Laser/Maestro, VISA and Mastercards are all Chip/PIN.

BOI seem to just have fancy graphics on their ATMs but no real interest in technology.

Their online banking system's not great compared to AIB either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Signing or pin. I don't see a significant difference myself. Most of the time they don't check the signitures, and they are easily copid. People tend to use easy to remember PIN's. My only problem is that it takes ages to do the whole pin thing. Really slows down the queues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Signing or pin. I don't see a significant difference myself.
    The difference is in liability. Now if someone gets a hold of your pin, you will be liable, not the bank as it was in the case of forged signatures in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The difference is in liability. Now if someone gets a hold of your pin, you will be liable, not the bank as it was in the case of forged signatures in the past.

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have more links to info in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BOI are now issuing Chip and Pin mastercards. Got mine the other day!

Advertisement