Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kluivert released

• 18-05-2005 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Quite a failure in the Newcaslte shirt, felt he wasn't really given time to prove himself though

Low and behold, look whos out to sign him :)
    Sam Allardyce has admitted he could be interested in a move for Patrick Kluivert after the Dutch striker was released by Newcastle on Wednesday.
    The former Barcelona man has failed to make an impression on The Premier League since moving to St James' Park on a free in the summer, and was deemed surplus to requirements at the club by Graeme Souness.
    Allardyce has demonstrated a winning touch in bringing the best out of players who have developed their careers in La Liga, with the likes of Ivan Campo and Fernando Hierro, and Kluivert could be the latest in a line of players to rejuvenate their career under the gaze of the studious tactician.
    However the Bolton boss also insisted he was focused on more immediate transfer targets, and warned that the Dutch international may seek to further his footballing life in climes other than the English top flight.
    "I thought they had him for longer, I didn't know it was just a year," Allardyce told Sky Sports News.
    "Possibly [would be interested] I think it would depend on Kluivert whether he saw his life being in The Premiership, as the right place for him.
    "He obviously hasn't played as much as you would've expected and may consider the demands of The Premiership are not for him and want to go back to Holland or Spain or wherever to play more regular football than he has done this year, who knows?
    "We'll obviously look at that scenario as we go on through the season, at the moment we're concentrating on ones we've got to sign up now and then move on to the rest if and when they come around.
    "At this stage I've learned to focus on particular targets and not agents throwing lots and lots of players at this time, and focusing on what you want to get and moving on one stage at a time or one player at a time."
    Bolton have been lacking a prolific hit-man, with Kevin Davies, Henrik Pedersen and El Hadji Diouf all failing to reach double figures, and could turn to Kluivert in an attempt to fulfil that particular role.
    However the Bolton boss will exercise caution in any potential move for the European Cup winner after citing his failure to perform for The Magpies at crucial times in the season.
    "We have been [after a 20-goal striker], the only thing I would say is he hasn't done that for Newcastle.
    "When they had problems with Bellamy, and Shearer's been injured, he hasn't stepped in and reproduced the sort of form we know he can so you have to look at that one carefully but we will."
    Allardyce's star forward this season proved to be Senegal international Diouf, and the Trotters tactician is hopeful of concluding a deal with his parent team Liverpool once the transfer window opens.
    "We've got El Hadji in terms of he is more than willing to stay with us because we get on so well together, the whole club and staff with him," Allardyce continued.
    "He's enjoyed himself and that relationship's important to carry on for both parts.
    "I hope we're just days or a week or so away, that's one player we're going to secure for a long period of time that we know is good enough to play with us and help us sustain that success we've achieved this year."

Big Sam miracle the 1000000th?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Also loads of spanish clubs reportedly interested in him though. Watch this space...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Where's DOL on all this?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Off signing another pensioner in Paddy Berger methinks. (Not to mention that Welsh clown)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Bergers only 31 and a damn fine player. Great signing I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Kluivert could still do an awesome job for someone. If he does sign for Bolton, that's it, I'm getting a season ticket for the Reebok stadium.*

Kluivert still has an amazing first touch and its unfortunate that his first (and maybe last exposure to English football was in the Fight Club of Newcastle.

*May not actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he joins Bolton, I honastly believe he will get a 20+ goal season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Allardyce into the Champions league!

They've gotta be one of the most exciting teams in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    If he joins Bolton, I honastly believe he will get a 20+ goal season

not inconcievable considering he got 6 in 15 for Newcastle which translates into 20 in 50 and seeing as Bolton are a better side (god it pains me to say that) he could well get 20+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i dont see him doing much at bolton. the guy has the desire of a peanut.
    he won too many trophys too young and since he was about 22 he's just been out looking for big money contracts. shame though, because at one stage he was by far the best striker in the world and is still young

el rabitos wrote:
    because at one stage he was by far the best striker in the world

lets not be silly here.

Romario, Ronaldo, Alan Shearer, Baggio, Signori. All better strikers in 1995 - 1997 when Kluivert was at his best. Im sure there are more too.

Kluivert is a very good striker though. I think it all depends who he is partnered wiht, I never thought himself and Shearer would combine particularly well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was always a bad idea to go from Barcelona(nice and hot) to Newcastle where it is one of the coldest parts to play in the PL.....also he arrived when the club was in complete turmoil....first manager that signed him gets sacked....then they sign the worst manager in the PL and he has a few injurys.....

Still a quality striker and would be a great signing for someone if they can afford his wages.....I dont think Bobby ever signed him to play alongside Shearer but to replace him with Bellamy his side kick.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

hes a lazy bastard and his demanding of 100k + a week is why he ends up playing for teams like Newcastle but he has alot of talent im not sure if we will ever see living up to that talent again though

imagine if he hadnt scored that scabby toe poke against milan in the European Cup final, hed be playing for FC Twente or someone now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was very disspointed with him, i thought he was excellent at barca back in the day. perhaps newcastle didnt help his cause so it will be interesting if he stays in england to see how he does.

if their are spanish clubs after him, id say he will return to spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Barca got rid of Kluivert boz he has turned in to lazy bastid with no appetite for the game anymore. He's been like this for a good number of years. Amazing what copious amounts of cash will do to some professional footballer's careers. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ardent wrote:
    Barca got rid of Kluivert boz he has turned in to lazy bastid with no appetite for the game anymore. He's been like this for a good number of years. Amazing what copious amounts of cash will do to some professional footballer's careers. Avoid like the plague.

True...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ardent wrote:

Exactly has that play it to my feet or i not running for it attitude same as Ronaldo but Ronaldo backs it up with goals and effort.

Lazy bastid to be avoided at all costs if a manager can kick him up the arse it would be Sam but he has failed before with other players, maybe Celtic would take him if he lowered his wages to 3 empty crisp wrappers.

kdjac

Advertisement