Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Permission Speedy Decision Carlow Co Co

• 18-05-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Thumbs up to Carlow County Council for giving permission to a friend of mine exactly six weeks after he lodged it. NO queries, NO percolation test – he is putting in a treatment systems – but NO queries. Your man is even building an usual 2500 sq ft two storey house. It’s also a one off house in the corner of a field.

I think it’s a mistake. For example he is putting a small bathroom with a door directly into the kitchen area – no problem they don’t care that that’s not allowed under building regs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

could be that the Council made a mistake, or could be that they had someone on the "inside" to push it through for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

davidoco wrote:
    he is putting a small bathroom with a door directly into the kitchen area – no problem they don’t care that that’s not allowed under building regs.

It is allowed.

This is taken straight from Technical Guidance Document G, para 2.5:-

A room or space containing a water closet should be separated from a place used for the preparation or cooking of food by means of -

(a) in the case of a building used solely as a dwelling, a door and

(b) in any other case, a properly ventilated passage or lobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As mentioned it is allowed. But isn't it also regulation that you need a downstairs bathroom that's wheeler accessible.

Yes, it is. Maybe this bathroom has the necessary dimensions.

Cushtie wrote:
    could be that they had someone on the "inside" to push it through for them.

Could you expand on that a little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I hate him!!! 3 months later and I have been asked for additional info, on a house the got pre-opproval from the planner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

davidoco wrote:
    . Your man is even building an usual 2500 sq ft two storey house. It’s also a one off house in the corner of a field.

I meant to say an UNUSUAL house. It has a roof big enough for a third story. Fair dues to him though, I put a bet on with him at Christmas that he wouldn't be in it for this Christmas 2005 and I might just be out of pocket.

I know for a fact that he didn't have any influence on them. He did make an appointment before the application went in for a preplanning meeting and met one of the planners. He had a very vague conversation with them where they pointed out the good points and bad points with his plans.

If you look at the Carlow website you can view various planning permissions that have been dealt with and a lot if not all applications (who got permission) had "further information received".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

gregos wrote:
    It is allowed.

This is taken straight from Technical Guidance Document G, para 2.5:-

A room or space containing a water closet should be separated from a place used for the preparation or cooking of food by means of -

(a) in the case of a building used solely as a dwelling, a door and

(b) in any other case, a properly ventilated passage or lobby.

Fair enough. I've been in loads of houses, where they had this weird two door system or small passages to a toilet from the kitchen. I was always under the impression that building regs required this as in (b) above. The fact that you can get away with (a) is interesting.

gregos wrote:
    Could you expand on that a little?

I know of one particular case where a person was refused because the council (not this particular one mind you) said the house was to high, it was a story and a half.

100 yds up the road another applicant got permission for a huge two story. that was locatd rigth beside an old cottage. this particular person was an engineer in the council. draw your own conclusions.
    I know for a fact that he didn't have any influence on them. He did make an appointment before the application went in for a preplanning meeting and met one of the planners. He had a very vague conversation with them where they pointed out the good points and bad points with his plans.

I stand corrected on this particular one

Hmm. I don't know about that particular case, but what we had been talking about was the internal layout of a house, which is a different type of issue. It's important to distinguish between planning and building regulations. The planning regulations are concerned with proper development of an area: what the building is used for, what it looks like, how it fits in to the locality. Building regulations are construction standards and the local authorities were never given the power to vet building designs in advance for compliance with these regs. They're not entitled to do it and they won't be until the government changes the law. They were, however, given powers to carry out checks on site, and this does happen. Anyway, it would be foolish not to follow the standards. They're not particularly severe, and sooner or later, perhaps when selling, someone will have to certify that the house complies. It's a no-brainer.

• Advertisement

gregos wrote:
    Hmm. I don't know about that particular case, but what we had been talking about was the internal layout of a house, which is a different type of issue. .

Yeah you are right there gregos, apologies for taking thread off in a tangent

Advertisement