Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final (scores)

• 18-05-2005 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I figure its time for an actual thread, especially due to the deep conversation of what it means to be a nation and a national going on in the other thread :)

I'm totally going to a confused unknown outcome.
    Henry out for Arsenal
    Heinze and G Neville out for Man Utd

Two less wide full backs will reduce our width even more with this 4-3-3 which is bad against Arsenal. But the physical presence of Brown - Rio - Slyvestre - O'Shea, who are all, but Brown, quite big, will be nice against a young Arsenal attack.

I expect Van Nist to score twice to win it, I assume ARsenal will score at some point though, not even gona try guess.
    Matches between this two teams are normally like a cup final, but this is actually a cup final aswell :)

Just to try and see who the neutrals think 52 votes

Man Utd Win
    0%
    Arsenal Win
    23%
    SerbianLocoTöpherbizmarkFusion251eirebhoyBig EarsL5thejollyrodgerBrian017OYA Dub in Glasgo 12 votes
    Man Utd Win(United fans)
    50%
    TwoShedsJacksonTake itThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfmike65GMrJoeSoapDrag00n79DcullyVillaingrowlercelticfcPigman IIGuy:IncognitoGrimlockjesus_thats_greCianan2Big Nellyrobomoby2101 26 votes
    Arsenal Win(Arsenal fans)
    26%
    PHBBKtjeAquos76SteMLoneGunM@nsmemon_blank_BrockUnknownBadabingDoctorEdgeWildThe GeneralCrowdedHousefade2black 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Arsenal Win
    Man united to win 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arsenal Win
    Man United just seem to have an edge against Arsenal in head to head games at the moment , it seems to me United could send out a man his dog and two sheep and they'd still beat Arsenal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    I voted Arse to win, but i really dont care who wins as long as the football is good! Peno's, i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Arsenal Win
    I voted Man Utd to win, cuz I thought this was about who we think'll win it :) But I want Arsenal to win!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

O shea Vs Ljundberg, Pires/Reyes Vs Sylvestre :)

Thats is where it will be won for Arsenal. I have this feeling that Rooney will score and that Utd will score and sit back and do there usual.

They will win it ugly but if arsenal can focus on the football then they they wll be comfortable winners. Wenger is very quiet about this match and that is a really good sign. Focusing on your own team rather then utd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    I voted Arsenal as they have the cunning and skill even without Henry while Man Uts will miss Heinze.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Slyvestre for all his mistakes has never made a mistake that has led to a goal that I can remember, can anyone else remember one?
    I am though worried about how weak our full backs will be :(
    But with Fletcher on form and Keano protecting them it might not be too bad.

Big question is, who will start?
    Giggs or Ronaldo or even Rooney?

Fergie makes a super suprise and just swaps to a 4-4-2!!!!
    That'd be cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    PHB wrote:
    Slyvestre for all his mistakes has never made a mistake that has led to a goal that I can remember, can anyone else remember one?
    Him and Carroll while interviewing for the circus put on a good show at Bolton did they not?

Anyway, I think Arsenal will win this one. United have had the upper hand in the last few meetings so I think the tide is due to turn. Heinze and Neville will be huge losses, far more than Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    3-0 Arsenal, Lehmann with a hat-trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Arsenal, they have been brilliant in the last number of games, slipped up against birmingham but by all accounts they werent trying.

Reyes and pires are on fire, bergkamp on his last match possible..

then again, THe bucaneers,sorry i mean united, have been in a bit of slump. what a time to pull a result out of the bad against the arch enemy.

In closing i dont have a clue but will go with arsenal. just.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

In closing i dont have a clue but will go with arsenal. just.

because you hate Man U i guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Leonard wrote:
    because you hate Man U i guess....

going on form and injuries actually, arsenals form is better, united are suffering more from injuries.

My hatred for them(well only roy keane really) doesnt affect my predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Arsenal Win
    Aresnal 3-1 United. I just can't see Man Utd winning this one. Which, maybe, is a good sign as my predictions always turn out to be wrong.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has thrown his backing behind Manchester United for their FA Cup final against Arsenal.

Mourinho wants United to win on Saturday because he has a better relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson than Gunners rival Arsene Wenger.

"I respect him, but not just respect, I like him," Mourinho told BBC Sport in a documentary to be televised on Monday.

"He is a person to fight with but a person that when a game ends we share a glass of wine and speak openly."

He added: "He is a very correct person and he teaches me a few things.

"I would like Manchester United to win. I have no problem to say that."

Mourinho led Chelsea to the Premiership title and a Carling Cup win this season in his first campaign in English football.

And while he has bonded with Ferguson his rapport with Wenger remains distant.

"I don't know him well, so I think it's not fair to speak about someone I don't know personally," added Mourinho.

"When he says he likes other Chelsea teams much more than our team I know why - because we are the champions. He preferred the other way when they were the champions.

"I didn't like Arsenal at the start of the season when they smashed everybody and I don't like them now when they beat Everton 7-0 and they win.

"But I liked them very much in the middle of the season when every weekend they lost points.

"I was in love with them then, so I can understand why Arsene doesn't like us."

hahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I didn't like Arsenal at the start of the season when they smashed everybody and I don't like them now when they beat Everton 7-0 and they win.

But I liked them very much in the middle of the season when every weekend they lost points.

"I was in love with them then, so I can understand why Arsene doesn't like us."

What the hell is he on about? I sense he is trying to spark mind games for next season already, maybe sensing that Arsenal will be their biggest threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

jank wrote:
    What the hell is he on about? I sense he is trying to spark mind games for next season already, maybe sensing that Arsenal will be their biggest threat.

Thats exactly what I read into it, he says he dislikes teams when they are doing well and then says he likes ManU :P

Hope we murder the manc gits tomorrow, get a 2 or 3 goal cushion by half time and then proceed to spend the second half kicking lumps out of each and every one of them. Perhaps Joseeeee could leave his studs on Rooneys fat face?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Mourinho is jsut having a laugh, I loved Arsenal when they were dropping points too.

That said I think Arsenal will win this , they have been on great form and Man U have not, Rooney could do something special to give them a lead but I think Arse are a far better team even without vavavoom. Utd are more prone to errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Arsenal are without doubt the form team at the moment but United have been pretty successful at preventing them from playing their game .I hope it's a good game and that we are talking about the football and not controversial decisions or unsavory incidents after the match.

Hoping for a United win but there will be very little in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Mau Utd to win 2-1, Keane and Scholes to dominate midfield, Rvn and Rooney to score the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    I have a funny feeling that Arsenal will win......same as I had the same feeling when Liverpool where playing Chelsea in Champion League.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

A lot will depend on who starts up front for Arsenal.
    Do we play Reyes and Van Persie (both left footed players) or Bergkamp for 60 minutes with Reyes?
    Henry out is a big blow to us but we have a good midfield and strong defence
    (Lehman :eek: )
    MU are not playing well at the moment but it's a do or die match.
    Fowards not really doing the business for MU and I fancy Arsenal just to nick it.

Arsenal fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

From Football365.com's MediaWatch:
    We've listened to Robbie Savage enough times to know that in the world of football that being booed is considered a back-handed compliment. 'They don't boo good players', or so the line goes.

That being the case, should we not be surprised that Jose Mourinho will be cheering on ManYoo on Saturday because he likes Sir Alex a lot more than Arsene Wenger?

In six attempts, Sir Alex has never enjoyed a victory against a team managed by Jose. On the other hand, Wenger's sides are undefeated against Jose's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

growler wrote:
    That said I think Arsenal will win this , they have been on great form and Man U have not

Yeah, but we all know that from goes out the window when Manu & Arse are playing.

Just looked at the odds Paddy Power are giving and they can't call it. Both teams are on the exact same for all permutations (exact for goalscorers) which is something I've never seen before.

B.

Apparently Gary Neville is close enough to fitness, so now I'm fairly confident in the defence.

I think this game will be won in midfield and I don't think it'll be Kenae or Scholes winning it, I think it will be Fletcher. I honastly belive tomorrow is when Fletcher will announce himself onto the scene like Beckham did.

Man Utd to win 2-0, with Fletcher and Van Nist scoring.
    Last time Arsenal beat Man Utd in a competitive match? I don't count the Charity shield for obvious reasons, but anytime when somethings been at stake, in the premiership or in the cup?

FA Cup last year - United Won
    Premiership last year - Two draws
    League Cup this year - United won(although that's a kinda irrelevent match)
    Premiership this year - Two United wins

Fergie has Arsenal totally sussed out, totally, and I expect him to maintain this recent record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

PHB wrote:
    Fergie has Arsenal totally sussed out, totally, and I expect him to maintain this recent record

He possibly should have been concentrating on totally sussing out the other 18 teams, totally, and then he might not have had his 3rd 3rd place finish in four years :)

This match is far too close to call. If it stays as a good football match (which despite silvestres best efforts, the last league encounter did) then its a lottery and down to big-game performances and luck and i think with rooney utd have the single best big game performer in europe. If it descends into farce once more, i think it also favors utd a little more as theres nothing like the 'everyone hates us' trench mentality that utd seem to need to get going.

Having said that, Bergcamp is playing as well as ever and with silva fit again to hold midfield and 3 good central defenders to choose from , Arsenal look good.

In short, dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm probably completely wrong as usual but this one will bore the birds out of the trees and United will win 2 - 1 AET

1 The number of goals conceded by United in their last six Final games, and in all the rounds of this year’s competition.

BTW didn't realise there is £1,000,000 prize money for the winners

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This game will be extremely quick and ferocious especially in the first 20 minutes and the last half an hour depending on scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Arsenal Win
    I have a feeling it might be a very tight and unfortunatly boring game. Nethir side wants to loose this and I think the priority will be defence and the chance of nicking one on the attack.

Hope I'm wrong but I think that's what's gonna happen.

Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    My hatred for them(well only roy keane really)

Poetic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    I'm probably completely wrong as usual but this one will bore the birds out of the trees and United will win 2 - 1 AET

1 The number of goals conceded by United in their last six Final games, and in all the rounds of this year’s competition.

BTW didn't realise there is £1,000,000 prize money for the winners
    11, the number of goals scored by Arsenals last three game

BTW, nice to see the muppet has changed his allegiances, Arsenal fan now it seems. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    I'll go with Arsenal 2-0. Bergkamp with the first and van Persie with the second late on. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

11, the number of goals scored by Arsenals last three game

6 - the amount of goals United have scored against Arsenal this season :p

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    TheMonster wrote:
    6 - the amount of goals United have scored against Arsenal this season :p
    They've scored 8. Arsenal have scored 5.

Looks likely that the Arsenal line-up will be:

Lehmann
    Lauren
    Toure
    Senderos
    Cole
    Fabregas
    Vieira
    Gilberto
    Pires
    Reyes
    Van Persie

Reasonably happy if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arsenal Win
    If the game is of the same or higher pace than the 4-2 earlier in the season and is of the same or higher quality than the 4-2 earlier in the season i'll be happy .

I like that line-up a lot!!

Senderos, while in the future will be a stunning player, isn't there yet, and I expect him to get shown up by Van Nist, while Campbell wouldn't, as much anyway :)
    Lauren as always the weak link in Arsenals defence, something United always exploit against Arsenal.
    Fabregas playing will only push Arsenal into the middle even more, which is exactly where United want them. Our missing Heinze will seriously detriment our natural width, so this is perfect for us. Arsenal in route 1 down the middle into Keano, Scholes and Fletcher.
    Reyes to get pushed over by Ferdinand and Slyvestre, and claim he was kicked to bits, 3 fouls really gets to spanish people :) p.s. Watch how often Ronaldo gets fouled today

Neville will be playing which is great!!
    I wonder who will start in the middle.
    Does Fergie play
    Keano Scholes Fletcher
    Giggs Van Nist Rooney
    Does he play Ronaldo?
    Does he drop Scholes for Ronaldo?
    there are 4 players who he absolutely loves to play,
    which can't fit into his 4-3-3, Giggs Ronaldo Rooney and Van Nist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Would love for Fergie to go 4-4-2, even if it meant leaving scholes on the bench, and go all out attack for the first half. Can't see 4-4-2 any more with Scholes - can with either P Neville(always has a cracker vs Arsenal) or Fletcher.

I too hope Campbell is on the bench(think this is deliberate leaks from Arsenal though)- hes a big game player.

If 3 fouls is being kicked off the park - what is 6 ;) ? Assualt and Battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was reading on the star this morning that heinze might be back. is there any truth in this? nothing on the united website about it, i thought he was defo out. im not nevilles biggest fan but as was said by someone on this forum, he offers great width especially with the system united play.

as for the result, as a man united fan, losing today wouldnt be the end of the world, we have had bigger dissappointments this year. so im just hoping for a great game of football with small bit(just a small bit!) of bite..rarrrr!

may the best team win.

jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

actually just as a response to some posts about fouls. brian woolnough pointed out, also in the star this morning, that arsenal committed more fouls in each of the league games this year.

interesting.

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    PHB wrote:
    I like that line-up a lot!!

Senderos, while in the future will be a stunning player, isn't there yet, and I expect him to get shown up by Van Nist, while Campbell wouldn't, as much anyway :)
    Lauren as always the weak link in Arsenals defence, something United always exploit against Arsenal.
    Fabregas playing will only push Arsenal into the middle even more, which is exactly where United want them. Our missing Heinze will seriously detriment our natural width, so this is perfect for us. Arsenal in route 1 down the middle into Keano, Scholes and Fletcher.
    Reyes to get pushed over by Ferdinand and Slyvestre, and claim he was kicked to bits, 3 fouls really gets to spanish people :) p.s. Watch how often Ronaldo gets fouled today

Neville will be playing which is great!!
    I wonder who will start in the middle.
    Does Fergie play
    Keano Scholes Fletcher
    Giggs Van Nist Rooney
    Does he play Ronaldo?
    Does he drop Scholes for Ronaldo?
    there are 4 players who he absolutely loves to play,
    which can't fit into his 4-3-3, Giggs Ronaldo Rooney and Van Nist
    They said the same when Senderos played against Bayern, Chelsea etc.

I expect Fabregas to play quite centrally and likely quite far forward with Reyes going out wide and getting at John O'Shea (is he playing?). It seems Wenger is pretty much picking the form players.

Yeh, but I think he was shown up against Chelsea to an extent, leaving things open that a superb poacher would have exploited.
    Wenger doesnt' change the system, its always a 4-4-2.
    While it is in Reyes nature to go out to the wing, I think Fab will be forced to play wide.
    It might be John O'Shea but i expect to see a Neville-Rio-Brown-Slyvestre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Arsenal Win
    Rumour has it that Giggs and Campbell won't start.

Bollocks, Bergkamp is playing :(

Dang, ****e back 4 :( Well not ****e, but :/

Caroll
    Brown-Ferdinand-Slyvestre-O'Shea
    Fletcher-Keane-Scholes
    Ronaldo-Van Nist-Rooney

No Giggs
    Caroll's last game

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Skysports reckon Arsenal are playing a 4-5-1, I think they've misinterpreted the team selection though. That team has been picked so often before, Reyes will be up top with Bergkamp with Fabregas on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    anyone got a live feed or even radio commmentary from the web?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Here we go !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Arsenal Win
    i reckon utd will win it;)

Come On Scholes Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

lol @ carroll

kdjac