Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final (scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Brilliant Penos from Arsenal, fantastic goalkeeping by the REAL MAN OF THE MATCH - Lehman

Congrats Arsenal, and United end the season with no silverware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Arsenal Win(Arsenal fans)
    gutted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    So is ferdinand, crying like a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well as an Arsenal fan I will admit you wuz robbed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Will Fergie get sacked by Glazer? ;)

Still never mind, finnishing 3rd in the PL is okay....for Liverpool! :D:p

Mike.

• Advertisement

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Hope that he isn't, looking forward to him leading united to many more fruitless seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well it is the most unfair game. United deserved to win, Arsenal had absolutly nothing in that game that made them deserve anything, they didnt even defend well, it was Uniteds poor finishing in the end.

And Rio crying like a bitch, what is he crying about? If he really had a heart for United he wouldnt have been asking for huge contract increase. He didnt even take one.

Now I have to go listen to Arsenal fans round my estate gloating about their win=/ well their lottery win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

KdjaC wrote:
    LOl plyd arsenal deserved it tbh :D

kdjac

humour board? haha :) in fairness we were robbed today, but thats football. what we did show is that the future at United is bright. the two best players on the park were Ronaldo and Rooney with Keane not far behind.

of course, Lehmann was in a world of his own, it must been a good breakfast or something!

Congrats to Arsenal anyway. I loved the USA chanting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL the USA chant was good alright !!!

I also think Ronaldo souhld have received man of the match. Rooney had what 3-4 shots on target, one run and a point of shaming Cole.

Ronaldo was clealy upsetting Arsenal making them brick it. Lauren been booked cause he was scared of his runs, Reyes been sent of cause of him, Viera been booked, he unstellted everyone and every attack or chance he was part of it.

My man of the match Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

And also thinking back on the game its making me wonder where the game is going regarding contact and fouls. ALOT of fouls given today that were minimal contact, it seems the whole fair shoulder thing is gone. Rooney twice I remember using strength on Cole and Gilberto, both being penalised.

I think the refs need a good talk over the summer, cause overall I felt they had a bad year, where the game hs gotten alot less physical.

Prime example was today when Giggs and Lehman clashed...........

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Fair play to Arsenal, as Hansen said it was an even more one sided final than last year but they still hung on. Cant believe United didnt get at least a couple though. Roll on next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Draupnir wrote:
    humour board? haha :) in fairness we were robbed today, but thats football. what we did show is that the future at United is bright. the two best players on the park were Ronaldo and Rooney with Keane not far behind.

Ditto

We woz robbed but very happy with Uniteds performance. Though Ronaldo deserved the MOM award ahead of Rooney as he ran Lauren ragged.

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Draupnir wrote:
    what we did show is that the future at United is bright. the two best players on the park were Ronaldo and Rooney with Keane not far behind.

Lehmann was MOTM....
    of course, Lehmann was in a world of his own, it must been a good breakfast or something!

Though thats what I was hearing!....What about Van the Man? Will he return to form?

Mike.

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Your mom ronaldo was prone to falling over with very minimal contact in that game too and yet I do not hear you whinging about that.

United lost, how do those grapes taste ? They look a bit off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

mike65 wrote:
    Lehmann was MOTM....

Ah, no. Rooney got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Arsenal Win
    At least they won't have the Community Shield match inbetween the 2 Champs. Lge. qualifliers.

Your mom ronaldo was prone to falling over with very minimal contact in that game too and yet I do not hear you whinging about that.

United lost, how do those grapes taste ? They look a bit off to me.

ah come on Fish, theres been a good reaction by United fans so far, dont go dragging it to an argument.

I didnt see a huge amount of diving today which was good. The best cup final in about 20 years. I cant remember a better one since United Crystal Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Well United were robbed, on the other hand they had about ten chances versus Arsenal's one half chance, if they can't take at least a couple of them do they really deserve the cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As poor as Arsenal were, United couldn't score and when you don't score you always risk something like that happening. Lehmann was outstanding, easily the man of the match, and Senderos looks like he's going to develop into a top class defender. Well done Arsenal.

Now onto Wednesday and the REAL final ;)

• Advertisement

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Devious wrote:
    Ah, no. Rooney got it.

He got it, but the Gooners stopper was the best player on the pitch. Why do keepers so rarely win MOTM?

Anyways enough of this snack now onto the main course - Wednesday!

Mike.

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Was no argiment just pointing out that some of the spectacles that were being worn could have been a little coloured. There was mention of Rooney being somewhat victimized for people going down under minimal contact and I just pointed out that the users MOM Ronaldo went down very easily on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

this is coming from a very upset man united fan...

FACTS-i.e. they cannot be argued with.

referee was fantastic. im actually quiet sympathetic with ref's. they dont mean to give bad decisions. people dont understand the speed of the game they must judge. having said that the ref today was so strong. every decision he made he fully believed and stood by.

keane-excellent as always.

rooney and ronaldo-fantastic.

man united-very proud of them today. i dont want to hear one word from arsenal fans saying we fouled reyes too much or any other crap. we played arsenal off the pitch for 90 minutes.

arsenal- at times some great defending but also a great deal of luck.

OPINIONS

united with a sharper van nistelrooy would have finished the game off.

fantastic game played between two teams who have given us so much over the years. hats off to both sets of players for keeping going.

well done arsenal, second best in every department today except penos.

jumpa

well done arsenal, second best in every department today except penos.

jumpa

dont forget goalkeeping, lehmann was super human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

perhaps but in fairness most of the saves lehman made i would have expected him to make(excluding pen0). united had all the possession but really didnt get the good chances away.

having said that lehman was the difference but super human is a description reserved for performances of a higher standard than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    United waz robbed!!! but i don't see how ppl dont give lehman MOTM he was magic

Hopefully wed wont go to penos!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Arsenal deserve feck all, they were completely battered, but at the end of the day you have to take the chances when presented.
    boy did they miss Henry, but they can't rely on him all time, Pires had a terrible game and young Fabregas was given a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

As Mark Lawrenson said "united have been mugged" :) Lehman deffo should have gotten motm, he was excellent today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd just like to apologise to the United fans out there on behalf of some Arsenal fans out there. I felt the formation and tactics we employed today were a disgrace. 4-5-1 with Bergkamp up front on his own? That brought back memories of Cascarino playing up front on his own against Croatia a few years back. Since Wenger is one of the most outspoken opponents of playing 4-5-1, I can't think why he went for that, except that he thought United would run midfield without an extra man in there. Even so... Bergkamp? For me, that was a reactionary decision made out of fear that prevented us from playing our usual good football, and turned most of the game into a farce.

Yes, we won in the end, and I'm proud of our defensive resiliance and general determination, but I still feel it was tainted by our total lack of attacking play. In my opinion, Lehmann was man-of-the-match, but credit to Rooney, I thought he was United's best player. Ronaldo had the beating of Lauren, but once again you have to ask - did he actually create anything? The answer is no, not really. Rooney was the one who was really testing Lehmann and Cole.

Lets hope the next meeting will be remembered for some attacking quality. George Graham would have been proud of that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arsenal Win
    For me Rooney's performance was like United as a whole : briliiant , ran his opponents ragged and played so well , yet no goals to show for it .

Only Lehmann , Senderos , Toure and Vieira really deserved to be on the winning side today , the rest of the team were average , but I always new Lehmann wasn't as bad as people make him out to be , he's a quality keeper and im sure he'll show it again in the future .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Poor old Glazer United! Long may it continue! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well United were robbed, on the other hand they had about ten chances versus Arsenal's one half chance, if they can't take at least a couple of them do they really deserve the cup?

No, we didn't deserve it after the chances missed.
    That said, Arsenal didn't deserve it either :)
    Give it to Chelsea, the only team that actually deserved anythign this year.

---

Lehman has to be man of the match, unreal save from a lack lustre arsenal defense who was missing Campbell, Senderos making rookie mistakes, considering he is a rookie :)

Reyes is like Deco in my book

Bergkamp being played totally out of position was still the only person on the pitch from Arsenal who looked like scoring.

Vieira was great.
    Gilberto was invisible

Lauren was as always the weak link against United, but that was Fabregas's fault, not his.

Terrible tactical decision from Wenger, and I swear to god I think he was playing for penos. This was compounded by Vieira at the end of the match asking Rob Styles, 'Is that full time, is that full time?'
    If you want to play those tactics fine, I respect that its a way to win, but to critcise others for playing like that, i.e. Chelsea, is not particarly becoming.

--

Caroll was good today, made a good save, the only save he had to make I think.

Back 4 were quality, utterly fantastic, didn't let ****e in, partly because Arsenal played through the middle with
    Keano +Fletcher blocking everything.
    Fletcher played great imo.
    Scholes was ****e, personifying his season. Fuming at Fergie for leaving him on instead of Fletcher, I knew the second he did he'd miss the penos, Scholes hates hates hates taking penos.

Ronaldo my MOM from the United side, as usual in big games our main threat. Somehow in the big games he is much more willing to be a team player, and cross a lot more, and the crosses he was putting in today were quality. His crosses were quality today, serious quality, its just nobody was on the end of them. His problem is actually that he is too fast and Van Nist and Rooney can't get into the box in time, which is somethign he'll have to work on.
    As for him going down to easily, stfu you biased person. I think once he went down with slight contact, the key word being contact, i.e. its a foul. He must have been fouled at least 10 tens today, if not 20. You see him coming out crying afterwards? Nope, maybe Reyes can learn from that.
    Rooney good, still too selfish a player. Too many shots from outside the box, not enough passing.

Van Nist had imo both a fantastic and terrible day.
    His build up play and contribution, holding up etc, was fantastic. He created 3 really really good chances which weren't put away.
    His finishing was poor, wasn't his usual self, I'm sure by the start of next season though he'll be back to perfection.

Today, overall, I'm happy with United. I feel, and I'd say most people who aren't arsenal fans, and even arsenal fans, would agree that United played attacking football today and were overall the better team, shown by the lack of any unforced substitutions until after 90 mins, nobody was doing badly. We didn't win because we didn't finish and thats somethign which has been a problem the entire season. Midfield didn't finish, strikers didn't finish. Chances were there. On another day Van Nist could have had a hattrick, but not today :(

First time in how many years since United havn't been in the charity shield?
    Ah nuts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    As for him going down to easily, stfu you biased person. I think once he went down with slight contact, the key word being contact, i.e. its a foul.

So you think every time a player is touched, its a foul?

If they don't win the ball, and its not shoulder to shoulder, technically it is a foul.

Also you reap what you so, so if Arsenal foul Ronaldo every single ****ing time he goes past them, and then he gets minimal contact, who is the ref gona beleive, the criminals or the victims? Its why Pires doesn't get given penos, or Ronaldo often time for that matter.
    Ronaldo dives a lot, I don't deny, but he didn't dive in this game whatsoever so don't make stuff up

from a neutral point of view it was bollox. So boring. Arsenal was brutal, and realyl didnt deserve it. YOu would get a better performance from a team in the LFV fans final. United deserved, but did really either for the chances they missed.

Lehman was alright, nothing great. He made saves he is expected to make, only great one being in the first half. He was such a liability from crosses though, woeful.

ROnaldo was great, tearing lauren apart. Good to see some decent end production aswell. RVN was poor, touch was off, and still looks rusty.

Uniteds back four where grand, werent tested at all.

Whoever pointed out about players going down to easy was spot on. It seems shoulder to shoulder challenges have been out-lawed. Its turned into basketball. Both players were at fault.

Reyes deserves a slap.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    If they don't win the ball, and its not shoulder to shoulder, technically it is a foul.

Ronaldo dives a lot, I don't deny, but he didn't dive in this game whatsoever so don't make stuff up

he went down easy. In the first half against toure he was on his way down before toure touched him. In the reyes challenge why did he go down holding his face?

It was a problem with both teams, ljunberg going down holding his face when fourtune shoulder charged him. Turning into a game for fairys.

First off you underestimate the speed he runs at till you actually see it in real life, so minimal touches take him down a lot easier than somebody running slow.

Holding his face?
    Because Reyes elbowed him in the eye.
    Hence why he was sent off.
    Is there another reason why he was sent off? Did I miss something? What game were you watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Man Utd Win(United fans)

Ah well, United deserved that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yep, United deserved it alright... Always a shame to see a team, any team lose that way.

Having said that, Arsenal's goalkeeper was superb - so you certainly can't fault him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

PHB wrote:
    Lehman has to be man of the match, unreal save from a lack lustre arsenal defense who was missing Campbell, Senderos making rookie mistakes, considering he is a rookie :)

Ah come on they're weren't atrocious albeit yes they had luck.
    PHB wrote:
    Reyes is like Deco in my book
    How?
    PHB wrote:
    You see him coming out crying afterwards? Nope, maybe Reyes can learn from that.

Lol ronaldo was crying afterwards;) But he has excellent.
    PHB wrote:
    First time in how many years since United havn't been in the charity shield?
    Ah nuts :(

3years? 2002 was Arsenal v Pool

All in all, United didn't take their glorious sitters which cost them the game. Arsenal rely too much on Henry as they kept looking to play it to the strikers down the middle. A new CF is needed, although Van persie played well when he came on and should have started. Rooney had a bit of luck at times going past Cole as it deflected of Cole in an advantagous way. Way too selfish.

Maybe next time united;)

• Advertisement

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It should have gone to a replay. It was bad that they got rid of them. Having said that the way they used to have them was bad. They usually had it on a Wednesday night in one of the Premiership grounds, like Villa Park or Maine Road. From being the showpiece of the season it was downgraded to something like a mid week, lower division, bottom of the table, mid-week league game. The replay should have been on a Saturday will the full pomp and ceremony of the occasion like the first game. The excuse was that there was not a Saturday available. Sorry, not good enough. They should have made one available. Now they are talking of putting the final into a midweek evening slot. That would be a tragedy. It is more than just a game. It is an occasion, fully deserving of the place it has.

PHB wrote:
    First off you underestimate the speed he runs at till you actually see it in real life, so minimal touches take him down a lot easier than somebody running slow.

Holding his face?
    Because Reyes elbowed him in the eye.
    Hence why he was sent off.
    Is there another reason why he was sent off? Did I miss something? What game were you watching?

He wasnt in a full sprint against toure, also, he seemed to go down before there was contact.

Elbowed? no he wasnt. He put his arm across his shoulder, certainly wasnt a proper elbow. Reyes was send off for continually fouling, not an elbow. What game were you watching?

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    PHB wrote:
    As for him going down to easily, stfu you biased person.

Attack the post not the poster son. I would appreciate if you read the post and the posts that it was in answer to before you starting ranting. What was said was that Rooney was getting alot of fouls against him when he was making minimal contact on other players. All that I said was that minimal contact was made on Ronaldo on more than one occasion that led him to go down easily yet the poster made no mention of that.

Anything else there ?

BTW I am in no way biased in this game I have no vested interest, I am not a fan of either team, I thought united played well but did not do enough, RVN was poor, Rooney played well as did Ronaldo but Lehmann was better than both of them. Anything else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

rofl.

Unlucky ManUre, a plucky performance but unfortunately it seems that your team simply can't score and RVN has turned from simply looking like a donkey, to playing like one :)

GWAN THE GUNNERS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OMG man united were robbed
    how did they lose that match,they dominated Arsenal

Ronaldo had a great game,one of his best and Ronney what can i say they boy is class

RVN was off the boil omg how did he miss that header and that tap in[the one he tried to fick in]

The ref had a brilliant game.fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Man Utd Win(United fans)
    Woo, 5 trophies in 4 seasons doesn't look so bad.

I feel bad for United as they totally deserved to win, but then maybe that's karma! Loved seeing Cristiano Ronaldo crying at the end, i've no sympathy for the play-acting ****er. Reyes was sent off for a second bookable because he fouled Ronaldo when there was a break on, his arm caught him in the neck and twinkle-toes went down like he'd been shot in the face. Ljungberg did something similar mind, it pisses me off. Bunch of fannies.

Vieira, wooooh-oohhhhhh! Another perfect set of penalties as in the game against Sheffield United. No choking when the ball is on the spot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

ah im a happy man after that win, arsenal are ridiculously good at peno shootouts pity about the rest of the performance :D

bring on next season so arsenal can get that premiership back

teams are robbed when a bad decision goes against them etc when they dont convert the chances they get it is entirely there own fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Woo, 5 trophies in 4 seasons doesn't look so bad.

I feel bad for United as they totally deserved to win, but then maybe that's karma! Loved seeing Cristiano Ronaldo crying at the end, i've no sympathy for the play-acting ****er. Reyes was sent off for a second bookable because he fouled Ronaldo when there was a break on, his arm caught him in the neck and twinkle-toes went down like he'd been shot in the face. Ljungberg did something similar mind, it pisses me off. Bunch of fannies.

Vieira, wooooh-oohhhhhh! Another perfect set of penalties as in the game against Sheffield United. No choking when the ball is on the spot :D
    hmm the only way ye can beat united is by penalties

That waste of space lauren could only tackle the wiz kid by doing dirty tackles on him :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arsenal Win
    how did they lose that match

Penalties .

• Advertisement
Advertisement