Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A spray that stop dogs eating stuff

Options
  • 18-05-2005 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Just gotten a new pup and she is teething at the moment which mean she is eating enything that she can get her teeth into eg : 3 duvets 5 pillow and a new pair of boots.

I know its not the dogs fault but i need to stop this from happening so i said it to a friend and he says there is a spray you can buy that you spray on the things she normally tries to chew and because of the smell she wont got near them ( HE says i wont be able to smell it but the dog will)

Anyone know anything about this?? Where can i get it does it work ???

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My pup caused the same destruction-eating chairs,table etc.
    Heres the method I used which was advised to me by a dog trainer.
    Pin a few blown up baloons to the thing you dont want them chewing on and if they do decide to chew it and burst the baloon they wont do it a second time from the fright they get.
    Good thing about this method is that you usually only have to do it once.

If that fails mustard smeared on the item also works.
    They cant stick the taste of it.
    HTH,
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The simplest answer really is ...just don't let her, watch her, be vigilant. Get something that she is allowed to chew on. A hard-ish rubber ball or "bone" from the petshop, a real bone (marrowbone or one of those filled ones from the petshop). Give her that whenever she wants to chew and "NO" for anything else.

No need to frighten the poor thing with exploding balloons.
    As for the spray ...have personally never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I got a new pup about 4 months ago, and I was blessed, he didn't eat anything like furniture, tables and stuff. Buy plenty of different toys for the pup, and try and keep everything else out of reach. They only chew because they're bored / and their teeth are growing, but if they've lots of different toys, that'll keep em occupied. But don't give the pup access to all the toys at the same time, keep swapping them around so he thinks there's something new every day.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Yep, my little bundle of terror does the same thing. Well, she used to. What I did was I got her her own toys and chewy bones. Anytime she chewed the furniture or anything like that, I told her no and distracted her with her own toys. Then I praised/rewarded her for playing with her own toys. Worked wonders. Teaching a dog involves a lot of praise and rewards, but you also have to be firm. Theres no point screaming at her one minute and ignoring her the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Puppys don't understand when your giving out to them, which is why praising them when they are good and giving them a treat works wonders for them.

It is essential to keep them occupied and having something to chew on (other than your chair legs).

A friend of mine is a dog behaviourist, and she always recommends kongs and treat balls for puppies and badly behaving dogs. The kongs are stuffed with food - and as dogs are natural scavangers, this will taste much nicer to them than wooden skirting boards.

If that fails, you can get sprays to spray on places where your dog loves to chew - its bitter but harmless and teaches them the easy way not to chew that again !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tabydub

I have loads of different toys around the house for her to play with i even close the bedroom door but she opens it and ripe the duvet to bits if im gone more then 30 mins.

Do anyone know if this spray exsists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Yes it does, Johnsons do one and I sell it on my website :

http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Dog_Training.html

Not sure how good it is though as I never knew it existed when I got my dogs years ago - otherwise I'm sure we'd still have skirting boards and untorn lino :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I have it, it dosent work well, one of mine actually liked it!

I have found the key to be smell rather than taste, if it smells bad they wont even try chew it.

Vicks vapo-rum smeared strategically works well, as does Ralgex spray, both are harmless and once smelled, chewing aint an option ;0)

Advertisement