Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal gear solid 4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

id say fans would be much more accepting of grey fox than raiden tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I think its fair to say everyone f*cking hates raiden. Id love to see more on grey fox as he was one of the best characters in mgs1. But mgs4 is seriously gonna have to pull a rabbit out of a hat if im to buy it, after mgs3 being so weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Deadwing wrote:
    after mgs3 being so weak.

MGS3 rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Very strange promo!

Whats with the canned laughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its not, this was live in e3...so thats people watching it on the screen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Ah ok. In that case - great promo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Can' wait til the new ps comes out and msg4 quality :D:D

Anybody know when msg4 is planned yet - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The only real flaw I could find with Snake Eater, is the same flaw that has been in the others.

There is far, far too much waffle and pointless story. Wayyyy too much.

In my opinion, that's what they should be looking to extract from MGS4.

Metal Gear is supposed to be about the stealth, if you play it accordinly, and succeed, you will get an amazing buzz.
    I just spent nearly two hours playing an amzing game of cat and mouse with 'The End'.
    Best boss fight ever.

i agree with the end being one of the best boss fights ever (personnal fave is when your moving the direction mic around and suddently you pick up heavry breathing behind you then game over)

But no i quite like the story elements of the mgs, its what makes them unique to the splinter cells and other stealth games. That MGS is more of an experiance and creative story then just a stealth game with added espionage plot.

Personally I'd prefer to be playing a great game with a great story, instead of occasionally taking part in what Hideo himself calls 'interactive movies'.

An 'in-joke' featured in Snaker Eater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

One of the things that I didn't like about Splinter Cell was the story. It was so poorly developed, that I really didn't care what happened to Sam or any of the characters.

That's what makes the Metal Gear series so good. The story and characters are so well developed that you really care about what happens to them... Gray Fox in MG:SS and MGS, EE in MGS2 and The Boss in MGS3... those were some of the most saddening moments I've ever experienced in a video game.

I also understand that sometimes the story can overwhelm the action, but Hideo is getting the mix right, as he showed From MGS2 to MGS3.

MGS4 will rule...

Otacon wrote:
    The story and characters are so well developed that you really care about what happens to them...

Over-developed is the word I'd use.
    Otacon wrote:
    I also understand that sometimes the story can overwhelm the action, but Hideo is getting the mix right, as he showed From MGS2 to MGS3.

If MGS2 MGS3 are something to go by, then it's obvious he isn't getting the mix right.

but that comes down to opinion, alot of people play MGS for its storyline and original gameplay elements, and they felt MGS3 got the right balance.

like movies, books and music taste in games differ so it could be that MGS just doesnt appeal to you as much as it does to others (like me)

I think people were swayed on the balance issue because there was so much action in Snake Eater.
    I agree there was way more tan in previous MGS.

But like I said, to turn on a a game, hoping to play a game, only to sit down for twenty minutes to listen to goboldy gook that could have been left out, without damaging the game is just plain irritating for me.

And then.....when you think you're finally free to play, you get a call on the radio....with more goboldy gook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mgs3 did have the balance right in my opinion. I loved the game but the camera did my head. You couldnt see far enough so I ended up running, switching to fp view and then run on another bit and back to fp view. That kinda did my head in. It was ok in the othetr mgs games cos you had the radar

But like I said, to turn on a a game, hoping to play a game, only to sit down for twenty minutes to listen to goboldy gook that could have been left out, without damaging the game is just plain irritating for me.

And then.....when you think you're finally free to play, you get a call on the radio....with more goboldy gook.

but like i said people like that, its engrossing. I know i did, i found the characters to be fascinating, some of that goboldy gook appealed to me, some made me laugh, some made me think.

yes its a game but its like those point and click adventures its a style of gaming where storyline and character are an important element.

If a point an click adventure game, like say Grim Fandango or Full throtltle started with a brief 30 second cut scene and then only told you what you needed to solve the puzzle, they would be quite boring and unentertaining. But its because the puzzle is brilliantly implemented into a involving (or funny) story.

MGS is the same, i mean compared to Splinter Cell, the sneaking of MGS requires you to go through one room sneaking areas one at a time until you reach a boss, without the engrossing storyline, this restrictive one room puzzles would get very dull. Hence while Splinter cell tries to reinvent and make fresh the whole process of sneaking, the MGS series takes a different approach and tries improving the engrossing storyline elements (including implementing it into gameplay elements)

I can understand where you're coming from but it annoyed me that I would spend a while all tense on the edge of my seat during the gameplay, then get stuck in twenty minutes of cut-scene/radio-chatter.....it really spoiled the mood.

On that note, I played through Snake Eater the first time on normal difficulty and paid attention to the story.
    Second time around I chose hard mode and just skipped all the "un-cool" cut-scenes.
    I had a much, much better time playing the second time around.

its simply a matter of difference of taste...when a multiplayer MGS comes around we shall settle the matter in a sneaking war...

well played good sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Crass

Can't wait for this game. I rebought MGS1 a while back and played through all 3 playstation games, great series.

I've always been the type to hide rather than shoot enemies, but shooting was a real pain in MGS3, unless you used first person.

The first game is still the best (MGS that is, not Metal Gear although its technically the first game). 3 answered a lot of questions but left a lot open, hopefully we'll be able to control Snake himself a bit more in the 4th, didn't like Raiden too much when he got whiney, and hated his suit.

Who knows, maybe Snake has trained Otacon for a bit of action? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Crass wrote:
    Who knows, maybe Snake has trained Otacon for a bit of action?

:eek:

Grey Fox is dull. Dull dull dull. I'd far rather have a playable Ocelot any day. It would be cool, say, to have targets appear when aiming at an enemy, targets on random pipes or whatever that when you hit them ricochet the bullet to hit the enemy. This would simulate Ocelot's shooting abilities.
    Looks like Raiden is back for 4. I didn't particularly hate Raiden, as someone said earlier, the problem really was that he just wasn't Snake. Either Fortune or Meryl Silverburgh is back, too - you can't tell from the artwork which.

I really hope Subsistence gets a European release. Why would they do that, not release it here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ah MGS4, the game that almost earned me a punching in work after a brain-dead skanger got really pissed off when I told him it wouldn't be on PS2... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ah MGS4, the game that almost earned me a punching in work after a brain-dead skanger got really pissed off when I told him it wouldn't be on PS2... :rolleyes:

i would have thought mgs was a bit too cerebral for your average cream cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

ExOffender wrote:

Grey Fox is dull. Dull dull dull. I'd far rather have a playable Ocelot any day. It would be cool, say, to have targets appear when aiming at an enemy, targets on random pipes or whatever that when you hit them ricochet the bullet to hit the enemy. This would simulate Ocelot's shooting abilities.
    Only one gun though, a small selection ;)

Advertisement