Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the catcher in the rye

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Kernel wrote:
    My God! You have no taste.
    I disagree, it really lacks an interesting meaty story it's a very short story about an angsty, bored teenager doing nothing much but feeling depressed and sorry for himself. It's funny in one or two parts but that hardly makes it a classic. I mean I really couldn't care less about him - he was spineless and indecisive; the story created no interest in him for me. It's like reading Ulysses - I couldn't care less about the main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Booo!!!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I disagree, it really lacks an interesting meaty story it's a very short story about an angsty, bored teenager doing nothing much but feeling depressed and sorry for himself. It's funny in one or two parts but that hardly makes it a classic. I mean I really couldn't care less about him - he was spineless and indecisive; the story created no interest in him for me. It's like reading Ulysses - I couldn't care less about the main character.
    Holden Caulfield represents something that we all seem to grow out of eventually but something that we all touch upon from time to time throughout our lives. His perception of the world may be overanalysed and some may even say immature but his character is one who has a great deal of sympathy for others and one who feels things so very deeply.

I find that as time goes on we all learn to toughen up but some days we just feel too much all at once and we can see things through different eyes.
    That's why I can always empathise with Holden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Yeah.. that.

Damn well put girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

I found it totally uninteresting and lacking any sort of satisfying content. Blah, overrated rubbish.

:eek:

for shame. Its a great book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

I thought the book was great, but not one of my all time favourite novels. I think it is great in that it explores something that I think everyone feels as a teenager and does so very well. But something about the way it was written, I don’t know exactly what, grated with me somehow. I didn’t think it has a great flow to it. Unlike a good Steinbeck for example! But it is certainly a book everyone should try read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

I read it about 2 years ago and I thought it was the funniest book I'd ever read. I got it because I'd heard so much about it but hadn't a clue about the story or anything else in it - from the first page I was in stiches.

I thought Holden was hilarious, a lunatic, but in a funny way. Maybe it's just my character showing through - I'd guess different personalities would get different things from this one...

Advertisement