Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Server

Options
  • 18-05-2005 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

I have my own wireless broadband company here in the midland's. I am interested in setting up a game server for only my customer's to be able to access. it will be connected on the WLAN. I have a pentium 3 pc to spare. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this up & going.
    Thank's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You're going to need more than a Pentium3 for newer game servers.

What games do you plan on supporting? Whether they have windows and/or linux versions of the gameserver would be a deciding factor in what OS to use. I'd poke you towards Linux/*nix any day, based on my personal experience.

As regards locking it down to just your customers, read up on IPTables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

I think the PIII will do fine for a game server as they usually don't need the same spec as the PC that the game is played on( I have ran one with this kind of spec and the connection sped is more important than the spec of the server). A good game to use is Americas Army Operations AAO. This is a free download and no license needed for the game or the server. It's easy to setup just a basic knowledge needed.

There are options to setup a password to join and you can monitor and bump anyone that joins if you don't recognize them.

Download from here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Stock up on ram though, you're going to need plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Thanks very much lads. The connection speed of the server connected to the clients will be 11mbps so this should not propose any problems. What i am confused about is, this software you tell me to download, does this run on windows

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most game servers have windows versions available, but many server operators prefer to run Linux servers, so a lot of them have Linux dedicated server packages too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some games have standalone server clients which can be downloaded and ran as a server without purchasing the game.

Unreal is one of them.

List the games you want or check the Games drop down list and post within each section, as every game is HUGELY different and has its own set of **** to deal with.

But basically go with Linux as your pcs are slightly old and it will run better than a windows server. Every game also has a nice guy who writes easy to read tutorials on the game ie
    http://www.blackbagops.com/
    Covers HL1 and 2, BF all versions, quake 3
    http://www.fpsadmin.com/ guy i know runs this site, nice guy.
    COD and MOHAA mainly but other games too.

kdjac

Advertisement