Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr has a Harte

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

huh? are you english? ian harte is up there with phil babb and gary doherty as some of the worst players to pull on a green shirt. terrible defender. decent free kick taker. otherwise, muck.

kerr has a harte? i think he has a problem in defence with some injurys. but yeah, sadly, he has an ian harte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i think he should be there to make up the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

el rabitos wrote:
    huh? are you english? ian harte is up there with phil babb and gary doherty as some of the worst players to pull on a green shirt. terrible defender. decent free kick taker. otherwise, muck.

kerr has a harte? i think he has a problem in defence with some injurys. but yeah, sadly, he has an ian harte

can he really be any worse the JOS?

he playing regular first team football in the SPain, which of the are left backs can say they are playing first team football? I think its a great idea, no harm is seeing how is has progressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

O'Shea plays almost every man United game for United either as a sub or as a starter, and has made a massive amount of appearences for united this season, just not as a left back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    O'Shea plays almost every man United game for United either as a sub or as a starter, and has made a massive amount of appearences for united this season, just not as a left back :)

hes not a regular first team player though. And hes not a out and out left back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

el rabitos wrote:

Wat you talking about? before last WC Harte was one of the most consistant performers in an Irish jersey and was one of the players of that qualifying campaign, he just lost all confidence before the WC and had a terrible one.....after that it didnt go to well.....was watching him in a game from Spain this season when Paul Robinson was in the studio and he was saying that Harte had problems settling in at the start(as every player would) and then got an injury but was back to form now....watched the game and he was solid and a couple of good cross field balls

You have to remember that when Leeds where one of the top teams he was the top left back in PL and was showing the great Beckham how to take a free kick

So please explain yourself???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I must say, as someone who's been to every Ireland home game for donkeys, I personally didnt rate Harte for a long time prior to his WC performances.

For years before that, he used to give the ball away more than any other Irish player. It used to do my head in when he'd continually take corners or free-kicks from out wide, when 9 times out of 10 they'd be rubbish - especially when he's a very good header of the ball, and therefore would be far more useful in the box for such set pieces. Undoubtedly Harte is a very useful option when shooting from free-kicks, but I'd still prefer Josh, and I'm no fan of ManU.

Big Nelly....the key word is WAS .. he isnt anymore.. Carr was a brilliant wing back but has went down the tubes now. Hearte has it all to prove (Carr too IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Harte is doing extremely well. As a regular viewer of the la liga he is rated very highly, and is finding form shown like his old self. All the critism of Ian Harte, its laughable, obviously people who dont play football. If you get the injury he got, it takes time to come back to be as good as you are. But watching him recently can some of the top la liga wingers in his pocket, he deserves that irish shirt. THe only two good left backs for ireland are O'Shea who is not a LB imo and harte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Big Nelly wrote:
    You have to remember that when Leeds where one of the top teams he was the top left back in PL and was showing the great Beckham how to take a free kick

Harte was never a great defender, his positioning and lack of pace repeatedly got him in trouble. He did a job for Leeds, up to a point, but history will probably be kind to him, as evidenced by your comments, because of his skill with a dead ball.

• Advertisement

impr0v wrote:
    Harte was never a great defender, his positioning and lack of pace repeatedly got him in trouble. He did a job for Leeds, up to a point, but history will probably be kind to him, as evidenced by your comments, because of his skill with a dead ball.

No need for history! playing well from I can see in Spanish footie.....also who have we got as backup for Left back instead of Josh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Big Nelly wrote:
    No need for history! playing well from I can see in Spanish footie.....also who have we got as backup for Left back instead of Josh?

I've only watched one Levante game, and I don't recall him featuring, so I'll have to take your word that he's playing well in Spain. We have very few options unfortunately, so it makes sense to give him the call up, though I hope we see more of Levante Harte than world cup Harte if he does end up playing in the qualifiers.

impr0v wrote:
    I've only watched one Levante game, and I don't recall him featuring, so I'll have to take your word that he's playing well in Spain. We have very few options unfortunately, so it makes sense to give him the call up, though I hope we see more of Levante Harte than world cup Harte if he does end up playing in the qualifiers.

Only seen the one game as mentioned above and he was playing ok bordering on well....think we need him in the squad and next season after he has settled in Spain(mentioned above) he will prob get better so better to have him ready to play for Ireland than in a huff and quitting like Kelly did....family loyalty and all mite have pursuaded him to quit international footie.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

for the 50 millionth time please just try for one game finnan on the left and carr on the right

o'shea is steadily growing into ian harte when he plays for Ireland

i remember ian harte for Ireland and he was an absolute liability the only justification given for his selection was the fact hes great at free kicks

for the 50 millionth time please just try for one game finnan on the left and carr on the right

o'shea is steadily growing into ian harte when he plays for Ireland

i remember ian harte for Ireland and he was an absolute liability the only justification given for his selection was the fact hes great at free kicks

348 posts on boards......not 50 million.,....haha

havent seen O'Shea have 2 bad games in a row yet!!! I think as far as I can remember Finnan has been tried on the left and had a howler!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:

Reid on the bench? Why?

As for Harte, I haven't seen him play in La Liga but if he's performing he should definitely be included in the Irish squad. After all, team selection for international football has a lot to do with form.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Totally agree Harte really sucked for a while (a long while admittedly), but is looking good from what i've seen with levante, regular starter except when was out injured a while back. One of the few irish players we can say has started a match against real madrid! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i just hate him for missing that peno in the world cup the fat bastard.

hes not the worst left full in the world though, it only involves taking throwins and kickin into touch though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Nelly wrote:
    348 posts on boards......not 50 million.,....haha

havent seen O'Shea have 2 bad games in a row yet!!! I think as far as I can remember Finnan has been tried on the left and had a howler!!!
    nah, he played there only last year in Basle and played well. He also had a long spell at left back for Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

To be honest the way Carr is performing for Ireland, Id definitely rather Harte at left back with Finnan at right, and keep Carr as far away from the team as possible.

• Advertisement

i seen hearte playing against Reál Madrid and he was discarded like a 12 year old trying to play international standard. His pace and positional placement really let him down. After that game i stopped asking for Hearte to come back (previous to that game i thought he should be in the team). He isnt going to get any quicker and he positional play hasnt improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All the critism of Ian Harte, its laughable, obviously people who dont play football.

Great argument there mate, anyone who doesn't rate Ian Harte obviously doesn't play football... Bravo.

I have never really liked the guy, alright going forward, great left boot on him, excellent at free kicks, but a rubbish left back. Couldn't tackle for his life and took too long to get back from attacks. We should be looking to bring in new left backs, and at the moment I reckon O'Shea is our best option.

Anyone know of any potential future left-backs? Eirebhoy?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Anyone know of any potential future left-backs? Eirebhoy?
    Probably the our worst position in terms of choice. Very few coming through. Off the top of my head, Patrick Kohlmann off Dortmund and Paisley off Longford are the 2 in the U-21's. Capper used to be but he's unattached months now. Youth Cup winner Michael Synnot is a left back afaik. Alan Sheehan (left back at Leicester) made his debut against Plymouth last week. This is what a Leicester season ticket had to say about him:
    ALAN SHEEHAN:he made his debut at L.B. and did well.he laid down a marker early with a few nicely timed tackles as plymouth probed down his side.he also managed to knock the ball to a leicester player or into touch each time he challenged.he also put 2 good deep crosses in in the 1st half when he got forward,which found leicester shirts.in the second half plymouth were on the front foot most of the time but he held his position well and was rarely found out.he didnt get forward much due to this but on one occasion he picked it up on half way in space and took it forward,he drew the fullback nicely and put his winger in behind with a nice pass,the resulting cross broke to him again and again he took a nice touch,drew the players to him,but this time he knocked it to the end line and chased it himself.he showed good speed to reach it and whipped in a lovely head-high cross which deserved a finish.overall he did well and the manager has said as much.with the sky parachute payments due to end next year and wilcox and tiatto both 33,and jordan stewart inconsistent,he will hopefully be given the chance.on sundays showing,he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Harte used to play very well at left back for a decent Leeds team in the CL, anyone ever think that not playing in a decent team at international level and being exposed by the left mid meant he was raped more often than not.

Good player if on form not a bad player to have in the squad, gotta laugh at those who hate him because he was **** at Wc2002 at least he was there ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He's recently been dropped by Levante for poor performances apparently.

Harte must have been injured against Barca. He went off after an hour in the previous game and didn't even make the bench against Barca (after starting every other game available).

Advertisement